The proper way to charge your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Aug 18, 2007.

1. macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I wanted to start this thread because of the lack of knowledge people have about a lithium ion battery compared to the older ni-cad battery.

First The is lithium ion batteries DO NOT develop a memory so people thinking you should drain your battery till it is almost dead and then charge it because of the "memory" of the battery are wrong.

Second The charge cycle for a iPhone battery is from dead to fully charged. So charging your battery often means many less full cycles. A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years. The worst condition is keeping a fully charged battery at elevated temperatures, which is more a problem with running laptop batteries. If used on main power, the battery inside a laptop will only last for 12-18 months.

So again:

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.)

Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

I Hope this sheds some light on the subject. If you do not believe me please feel free to research it yourself.

2. macrumors 65816

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

thank you i have been thinking about this allot

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thankyou for these tips

i suppose these tips (hardly ever discharge fully) apply to lithium mbp batteries aswell??

8. macrumors 6502

ecks618

Yep, Lithium Ion Batteries are opposite of the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, like those in remote controlled cars and such, in that Lithium ion last longer the less you fully charge. NiMH batteries need the whole memory thing and "prefer" to be fully discharged before a full charge.

9. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in the sense that you shouldnt charge them to full capacity?? or you shouldnt leave them on full charge for extended periods of time?

10. macrumors 65816

I want to know if I have my MBP plugged in most of the time, is that bad?

11. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
  12. macrumors 68020

question fear

In the sense that you don't need to drain and then charge fully, you can toss it on the charger at 40% and charge to full. No need to wait for it to go dead.

13. macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

14. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

15. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

okies thanks for verifying that

16. thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

For your laptop I would use the program below and not take your battery out. Fan Control will keep your laptop cooler and hence your battery.

I set to Base RPM at 2000
    low temp @ 106 F
    high temp at 169 F
    and then just see how much cooler your laptop will run.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

Running on battery and need the juice to last as long as possible? Just go back in and pull the base speed down a little to like 1200 or 1500.

17. thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Just wondering of anyone tried the fan control program? Let me know if you had good results?

18. thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

19. macrumors regular

First time charge

Hi, thanks for this thread; along with others I've been thinking about this quite alot.

What should I/we do about the first charge?

From what I've gathered it comes with a bit of 'juice' Do I just need to connect it to the mains straight away and leave it for a few hours before I start using it?

Any help would be appreciated.

20. macrumors 68020

thanks for the great information. Smc fan control is great and I night recommend it.

21. macrumors 68020

I think the battery comes charged. I just started to use it. Once you start to sync remember it will also charge.

22. macrumors 6502

Ok so I have a car charger for my iphone. Does this mean that it is actually a smart idea, to pop it in the charger whenever i get into the car?

23. macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Thanks for this thread. I have been wondering about this exact thing for awhile and never got such direct answers for the iPhone. Thanks again...

24. macrumors regular

I knew about some of these facts already but are you telling me that it's actually BAD to drain battery from 100% to 10% and recharge back to 100%? I thought that lithium batteries could handle it.... :(

So you're saying that it's better to use from 100% to say 50%, then recharge to 75% etc?

25. macrumors 6502

Ok so I have a car charger for my iphone. Does this mean that it is actually a smart idea, to pop it in the charger whenever i get into the car?

Sorry guys, its important.