The PS3 Thread...Haters Stay At Bay

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, May 6, 2006.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Alright this is where we discuss what we think sony will bring to the table for the new console(PSP,PS3,PS2).....E3 is soon here along with sony's conference.

Online...free or not....structured or not
    Game Launch and games that will rock the house
    Controllers....changing them or keeping them
    Power/speed.....we don't know yet but still

Anything for that matter that pertaining to PS3/PSP

Bless

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this has been tried before and promptly turned into a flame war.

3. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

A friend of mine has stayed with the Play Station since the original. He was tempted to go XBox with the 360, but decided to hold out for the Sony. I know the wait must be getting agonizing, though.

All I know is they better blow the 360 away for making their faithful wait this long. That doesn't look likely, though, does it?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think the design is bound to change. Right now it contrasts with every other electronic Sony make, it's hideous. It does just look bad. And the controller?
    They will undoubtedly unveil the new, sleeker PS3 at E3. Probably a bit bigger than before to incorporate a damn good cooling system. /wild guess.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Online: Free online play, paying subscribers get video chat and other bonuses (possibly voice chat? Not sure if that would be free or not).

Games: Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4. I don't know if a FFVII remake will be announced or not.

Controllers: Definitely going to be changed.

The graphics will be about on par with the 360, possibly better physics if devs can take advantage of it with all the difficulties.

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I think this generation is going to be the worst generation, in terms of quality control.

I've had issues with my 360 already, and I can only imagine how much worse the PS3 is going to be.

They're still manufacturing core hardware for that system. Last I read, they were still in a fight with IBM over the design of the Cell processor...

Things aren't looking good for Sony - especially with the Blu-Ray fiasco on top of this.

I'd like to pick one up, but we'll have to see if they can even create a functioning system on time.

I imagine the PS3 will be the most troublesome of the three new systems (especially at launch). I just hope they have a free online system similar to Live - something to pressure Microsoft into lowering the cost of, or giving away their Live service.

One thing is for certain - I'm excited about E3.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It might be bad in terms of quality control of hardware AND software. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've got the distinct impression that with the expense of developing next gen games, some companies are skimping.

Half the XBox 360 games (Fight Night, PGR3, Burnout Revenge, Oblivion, etc) look utterly spectacular, and the other half (Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Major League Baseball 2K6, NHL 2K6) look like upgraded XBox titles. Heck, some games don't even look upgraded (Dynasty Warriors 5 and Final Fantasy XI, I'm looking at you).

Some devs seem to be taking the cheap way out and just taking current gen games and slapping on some fancy graphics effects and throwing it out on the market.

I expect the same thing on the 360.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while i likely won't be picking up a PS3 myself, if it ends up being better than the 360 i may consider it sometime down the road.

the factors that Sony has to really play its card right with are:

1. Online play. This is whats keeping the Xbox as big as it is, if sony mess this up, they are going to sink. But if they come out with something on par or better than the 360's system, they'll gain a good amount of respect. Hopefully Free, with paid alternatives for more features.

2. Design. The Controllers as they are right now look impossible to hold and play comfortably, they need to re-think this and come up with a better controller. i'm not picky about the actuall unit's design myself...

3. Launch Date & Titles. they need to have a darn good list of titles waiting at launch time. but i think the date is key too. if they can get it out in time for the holiday shopping season... they'll do good, if people have to wait even longer then i see them having problems down the road.

just my thoughts.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As much as I'm tempted to not get one, I probably will. I'm a sucker for hardware and do not believe that people seem to think that if you buy a 360, your suddenly excluded from buying a ps3 - and vice versa. So daft.

I hate the look of the new controller, that has to be said. It looks utter rubbish, though it may be more comfortable than it looks.

Online has really come home to me with the 360 and I love its online ease of use. Yes you can grumble it cost's $50 a year, but that's not too bad, as long as there are no other monthly fee's for games.

I predict Sony will offer FREE online but it will be up to the developers to implement and keep it online, hence there may be a good chance that some games will charge a monthly fee.

Also may instead decide to charge for EVERYTHING you download via it's 'markerplace' and I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporate their own itunes type service as well.

Graphics, we all know are going to be the same as the 360, so no point commenting there, though I don't see the dual screen ability from ever being used other than once or twice as a novelty. It may even be subsequently dropped, im prepared for this announcment in E3.

Games I would like, well a new Ico creator game, Rogue Galaxy Level 5developer is going to have such freedom with it and that has to be a positive. Jax & Daxter, well I've got to get my platform fix, somthing missing from the 360 other than LaraCroft.

No doubt a price announcement will be made at E3, either we'll all have our suspicions proven and it will be 500-600 US dollars/ Euros or we'll all be surprised by a price tag of 400.

Linux could be interesting, or could just end up a redundant useless feature.

BluRay - I wont go down that road, suffice to say I remain v.skeptical (but that goes for HD-DVD too)

---
    AT E3...

BIG BIG BIG thing I really want Sony to do. STOP demonstrating forthcoming games with pre-rendered videos that end up resembling nothing like the finished article. Be honest with the consumer for once. I know microsoft took some flak at last years E3 for showing games on Beta Dev Kits, but I praise them for it, at least when the games did hit the shelves they were much improved with some reall class launch titles sneaking in like Condemned....

If there is a lack of playable content at this years E3 running on proper PS3 hardware, I'm going to be really pissed and this alone may be the decision breaker on whether I pre-order or not.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I wouldn't say FFXIII. FFXII was only just released, but an HD version of that may appear

Not such a wild guess. Far as I remember, every time the PS3 gets showcased, there's a little sign underneath saying "concept design" or summat to that effect.

12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

That would be interesting I think. I thought I remembered reading somewhere the design of the console was just about final but the controllers would be different for sure. I kinda like the design of the console now but I'd like to see what else they could do with it.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Electronic Game Monthly just reported that FFXIII will most likely be at E3 this year.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I still doubt that it'll be a PS3 launch title

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think it all depends when PS3 is released. If the PS3 isn't released until May of '07, then I think it probably will be. If by some chance the PS3 is released this year, then I don't think it will. I'm not even going to guess on the time in between.

16. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Ok Sony Will give us this:
    -Free Online, payed users get more features
    -Redesigned PS3
    -Redesigned Controller
    -Nov Release worldwide confirmed
    -More vids (Tekken,MGS4,FFVI) Playable demos.
    -Price will be $400.

I will get Tekken as a release title. FFVI will be confirmed a remake on PS3. Sony will go into details about every aspect of the PS3 Network, With final name, and real-time demos of the Network running and playing games.

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

True (I'm assuming nov-dec 2006)

18. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I love the new design of the PS3...i think its the best out the bunch but the controllers are ugly.....it looks real light in weight but i can't imagine holding it.

I still can't believe sony will be giving us FREE online play but that would be real good.....wireless...

I see sony bringing the console in November....no way 2007 even if they have to cut a few things

Games i'm looking at is Killzone, MGS4.....excellent

Bless

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What's so great about Killzone. If the first is to go by, it will be an over hyped dissapointment of immense proportions. Remember video footage - not real ;)

I think the PS3 will be released in November in the US & Japan Only. I think spring 2007 for UK/Ireland and rest of Europe. BUT I think the delay to Europe will only get announced in October when Sony realise they wont have enough yield to supply 3 continents as the Cell is a bugger to manufacture.

Yes I think controller will be redesigned, it will probably end up looking just like the existing ps2 pad except wireless.

There's a very good chance the console will have a redesign, adding more ventilation and cooling as it has been reported that the ps3 dev kits run extremely hot too, and they'll want to avoid the problems that the 360 has had. Although I expect a good share of problems with the ps3 - lets face it the ps2 has had enough of them. It was reported at last years E3 that the ps3 cases on display had very little ventilation slots, all that heat has to go somewhere.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

They just better show real stuff this time and not pointlessly over-promise and under-deliver like they are so well known for.

While I personally do not think Sony has enough experience to expect an Xbox Live calibur service, especially in the time they have to do it (from the ground up); it could still be possible.

An interesting read: PlayStation Network: An Xbox Live Killer?

21. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I loved killzone for the PS2.......its not everyone cup of tea but i like it....not based on the screens shown(well:) )

If the controller end up looking like the DS2 then i'm fine with it....it works.

the Online thing i really believe sony will be working with an outside company with this.

Bless

22. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This is obviously a biased article, but I really liked this line:

Sony is an 800-pound gorilla to reckon with and only an Xbox fan boy could underestimate the power of this international conglomerate.

23. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm guessing you didn't read the entire 3 page article. Because every bit of it is how they think PSN is a very real threat to XBL. It's the most pro-Sony article I've read even though it's on teamxbox.com

I thought it would be very biased when I started reading it as well, but it really is far from it.

24. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I read the entire thing. There is some decent information there, but I think it is very biased towards the PS3. They are taking many assumptions and speculations and trying to pass them off as fact.