The Quadrant

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blakespot, Jun 4, 2002.

1. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I just hope this does not haze the "product quadrant" that Apple has established too signficantly.

PowerMac | PowerBook
    iMac | iBook

...Xserve and the old-school iMacs haze this a bit. Xserve is clearly a Good Thing, but I think that the eMac definitely needs to spell the end of the oldschool iMac. There is just too much in the way of consumer Mac's otherwise (iMac, new iMac, eMac).

Let's not forget about Apple's abysmal and myriad product offerings back in the beige days. It got to the point that consumers had no idea what Apple was offering. As an observer from the PC world at the time, I was completely baffled by Apple's confusing product lineup at the time.

blakespot

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

i completely agree... I seriously doubt that the "old iMac G3" and "Powermac G4 Server" will still be around in six months...

I imagine it will go from this:

iMac G3
    eMac G4
    iMac G4
    iBook G3
    Powerbook G4
    PowerMac G4
    PowerMac G4 server
    xServe

To this by the end of the year:

eMac G4
    iMac G4
    iBook G4
    Powerbook G4
    PowerMac G5
    xServe

C-

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

G5 by the end of the year? You'll be lucky! :p
    Still, I suppose we can dream...

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I see the line thinning out as well, but the G5 might be a ways away, best to wait and see what shows up and MWNY. With the new enclosures, memory, bus, etc. the speed increase as a whole should be pretty good.

5. sedarby macrumors regular

Screen Resolution?

I would think that an upgrade in screen resolution for the Flat Panel iMac. Who wants 1024x768 when you can get finer resolution cheaper?

6. quanta macrumors member

high res yes

i think that's a great idea! More pixels per square inch! Better brightness and vast vast real estate.

yes!

7. MR Lurker macrumors newbie

Hi, all. I've been thinking about this whole Quadrant thing and here is my $AUS0.02...

Many commentators on the PC industry have argued, from several angles, that the desktop computer as we know it (for home users) has really had its day. I am firmly in the camp of those who think mobile computing is on the ascendancy. Having said that, I DO believe towers will always have their place for professionals who require the extra power and expandability. The education market also needs a low-cost desktop due to its robustness.

I really believe that the current FP iMac is the last iteration of Apple *consumer* desktops that we will ever see. The Macintosh is dead!!! Long live the Macintosh!!!

Here's how I see the Apple Quadrant in the not-too-distant future

1. Professionals - XServe/ PowerMac / PowerBook

2. Consumer - iBook

3. Education - eMac / eBook(???)

4. Peripherals - iPod, iWalk, iDog, etc...

I don't think this approach conflicts with Apple's "Digital Hub" strategy at all.

Comments?

8. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

iDog? lol...

i think that if apple is completely G4 by the end of the year (which it sounds like it will be) then that thhe G5 will be released in January - if we're lucky - but most likely at MacWorld NY next year... just my thoughts.

9. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

I like the iMac G4, god damn it!

That would still be in the comsumer section.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

iDog, iCat, iBird, iThinkThatAnimalNamesForAppleProductsAreStupid! :cool:

Yeah, Apple probably has extended the quadrant, but I am wondering if it has divided into two completely unrelated quadrants? Maybe there is one for the mainstream line of computers (iMac, PowerMac) and another for Apple computer accessories that do not belong in the mainstream (XServe, iPod, eMac, ????) This should be interesting.

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i think the iMac will be around for a LOOONG time. there is no real reason to discontinue other than a few "experts" stating that the desktop has "had its day".

the desktop fits in quite well to the digital hub strategy. in fact the digital hub is pretty much cut off at its roots without desktop variant. there needs to be a central hub through which everything can be controlled/stored/viewed/etc.

pc users, especially mac users, get very attached to their desktops. they grow accustomed to sitting down at their computers and surfing the net, doing work, etc. Although I have an iBook that I am using wireless most of the time, I do find myself connecting it to my monitor more and more and using it deskop style when I am in my room. the iBook is great to have, but I a really really really want a g4 tower with a decent display with high resolution to sit down at and use.

I reassert: i do believe the desktop metaphor will be around for a good while. people aren't ready to give it up just yet.

12. sedarby macrumors regular

They said this when Compaq and others came out with transportable PCs but the desktop continues.

Until portable devices can deliver greater performance than a desktop there will always be desktops.

13. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

~ MR lurker

Thats ridiculous!

No more iMacs~ obviously you hav eno idea how well they have been selling or how APPLE is positioning its iMAC in the home as a thing of beauty and functionality.

PUHLEASE ~ no more iMACs, stop drinking the bath water , yuck.
    Its making you dizzy!

14. MR Lurker macrumors newbie

Heh, heh. Crazy like a fox!

I certainly understand a maccie's consternation at the suggestion of the demise of the Macintosh. I mean, it's almost sacreligious! IMO, the current iMac is a GREAT system and there's no doubt it's been a real shot in the arm for Apple. And power-to-price the iBook is one of the best, if not THE best, laptops on the market today.

But seriously, let's think about the future. Broadly, the current iMac features:
    LCD screen + small form factor (at the expense of upgradability, etc.) + wireless connectivity

Taking this to its logical conclusion, the iMac must surely evolve into something mobile (the mMac?). Is a G4 15-inch screen iBook-type-concept, with all the innards of the current iMac such a luny idea?

I guess ultimately the market will decide. From what I've read, the average consumer is not so concerned with performance as they are with bandwidth and mobility. I am confident that Apple will stay ahead of the game. And there's no reason why they couldn't revolutionise the design of notebooks the same way they did for desktops.

15. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

who says the iBook will go G4 by the end of the year? wasn't there an article thread about there still being life in the G3 a few days ago?...MR Lurker, the iMac is here to stay for quite a bit yet, and when the computer as we know it is disappearing, Apple will make other "Macs" to forfill the functions of the replacements...so Apple, its software and macs will be here for quite a while yet..

16. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Sorry, but you can no longer give $AUS0.02. You have to add GST, so you have to give $AUS0.022 other wise the tax man gets upset :eek: