The Queen of the skies has officially been dethroned

Discussion in 'Community' started by EGT, Jan 8, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Wow! That is a huge plane! It's good that they are starting to get more efficient planes (from what I hear the Airbus is more efficient, holding more people and using the same amount, or less fuel than a 747), that hold more people, to be able to take people around in less repeat trips. That is truly a huge plane! :eek:

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It certainly looks hugh from the pictures. This airbus will be giving some competition to Boeing. At this time of high fuel prices and low air faire this type of plane should be a boost to the airline industry.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I remember seeing a commercial for a documentary given by John Travolta on how how they made this plane. Can't remember what network though.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I saw something on TV about how they made this plane, and it was really quite cool —

Once the fueselage is done in one place in France, they have to move it to the plant where they build and attach the wings. They do this convoy in the middle of the night, it's a 4 hour drive, and they pass through this tiny French village, in which there is less than 6 inches clearance between the plane and the houses on both the left and right. It was a pretty incredible show, because they videotaped the entire process...I have no clue what channel it was on or when though. :( I'll research finding it. :)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wow....

I'd read reports, but not seen pictures. Truly impressive.

6. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Check out this pic.

The plane has a restaurant, shop, and elevator!

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Didn't realize that it has three decks.

Wonder what the real world configuration for seating will. The diagram you posted was Airbus' idea for maximum comfort.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Cabins and staterooms. Man.

Of course, there's still undoubtedly no room for luggage. ;)

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

they had shows about the plane multiple times on german tv already

the toilette + freshwater system alone is impressive...not even talking about the air condition system

they built a modell of the water system out of clear plastic for testing and tweaking the system (and of course they developed a substance for simulating you-know-what)

truly amazing

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not only that, but if it's the same process as with other Airbus planes, the wings are made in the UK and shipped over to Toulouse...

11. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I think the engines are made in the UK (Rolls Royce), and the wings and fuselage made in Germany + another country. Everything is then shipped to Toulouse for final assembly. The rebuilt the entire road from near Bordeaux to Toulouse just for this plane. :eek:

Oh, and Airbus has been giving quite a bit of a competition to Boeing for some time now. ;)

Edit: and IMHO is a real fugly airplane.

12. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As a matter of fact, the fuselage is made in Hamburg, Germany, the wings in Broughton, Wales, and the tailplane in Spain. The cockpit and final assembly is done in France, and so far all the engines ordered are Rolls Royce/Volvo Trent 900s, made in England.

14. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm waiting for the one with a glass-bottomed swimming pool: can you imagine that? Swimming in a clear pool with 60,000 feet of sky below? :D

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, to avoid issues with sloshing and weight-shifting, it'd be best if it was a sealed scuba tank.

So imagine floating submerged in water, 10 miles above the ground. Now that would be cool!

17. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

And then do it whilst drunk ...

Here has all the A380 pics from that site. There are some interesting construction pictures.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This plane will either make or break Airbus. I think it'll make it just as the 747 did for Boeing. I simply can't imagine the logistics for getting such a plane off the ground much less with as many passengers as it will hold.

Isn't it due for it's maiden test flight soon?

19. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Sometime in March i think.

20. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Ultra-cramped cattle car style. ;)

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I, and I think many others would agree with me, think that it would be much nicer if they eliminated the duty free shop, and evenly divvied up the extra free space by adding leg room for each person. I am 5 feet 11 inches tall, and at-weight for my height, and I feel that airplanes now are exceedingly uncomfortable. More legroom would be beautiful. *ahhhh* :)

22. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Yeah... I'm envisioning something in the Southwest Airlines style. :rolleyes:

23. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Hmm, I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't feel comfortable flying in any Airbus until I hear a really good reason why the tail just fell off that Airbus plane over New York shortly after 9-11. 265 people died in that accident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/flight587trans.shtml