The Queen's speech - opinions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zaid, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

Just ran through the bbc summary of the speech and the following piqued my interest

Consumer Credit Bill
    Consumer credit laws are to be updated in an attempt to give people greater protection from unfair lending practices.
    About time. Personally i think the banks and credit card companies regularly rip people off. The regulator has already told them that their interest rates are too high, given the level of the bank rate. The whole thing smacks of industry collusion and cartel behaviour

Constitutional Reform Bill
    This will pave the way for the creation of a Supreme Court.
    I wonder how this will work. Presumably it will still have to sit below the European Court, which is the court of last appeal. It will probably replace the house of lords as the highest court in the land :confused:

Crossrail Bill
    This will pave the way for building the Crossrail link across London.
    :D

Identity Cards Bill
    Moves towards the introduction of ID cards by 2008 are outlined.
    I have one question: What the bloody hell has Blunkett, been smoking?? he really scares me

Railways Bill
    Legislation which the government says will "streamline the organisation of national rail system to improve performance".
    i'm begining to suspect that the government has a secret agenda of ruining the railways and the tube. Every govt railway policy has been a disaster. I wish they'd renationalise the whole bloody thing, but then they'd f**k that up too.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He hasn't: that's the problem... ;)

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, sounds like some good ideas there. But if you want to see a badly run railway line I would take a look at Amtrak. I don't know if they are government managed or what but all they seem to do is go from govt bailout to govt bailout with a lot of disasters inbetween.

Are making announcements like this what the Queen does now?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That, and being forced to entertain Graceless George for dinner. It's not ALL roses.

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, transportation in the UK is a nightmare from what I've seen. (I've been to London a couple times.) But there aren't any easy answers either - I think they just have to rebuild the tube. It's an embarassment that countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Japan, Korea, etc, have much newer and more modern metro systems. And Paris, right across the channel, has a much faster and more efficient system even if its old. A major upgrade won't happen overnight, but they should at least start planning it.

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

George is the racist guy right? he's damn funny, I know that is wrong on many levels, but he has the mentality of an 11 year old. I could listen to him (unknowingly embarass himself) all day long.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, I was talking about YOUR George...!!! :D :D :D
    Strangely enough, your comments still apply.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

:D lol, they do. I was thinking of her companion, Prince whats his name.

9. brap macrumors 68000

Philip. Prince Philip. Well known for putting his foot in his mouth at every possible opportunity.

He insulted my partner when she was at the Queen's garden party this year (no s**t, heh)

10. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Well certainly not in pubs and bars. :D Actually I don't have a problem with the smoking ban. (which is the health sec's baby anyway ;) )

Its the trial without jury for suspected terrorists etc that i'm worried about. (As a brown person, i'm more easily confused with a terrorist you see :D so removing the jury and that little thing known as the burden of proof, makes me somewhat nervous ;) )

I mean seriously comparing ID cards to store loyalty cards is somewhat disengenious. No one is going to force you to take out a loyalty card if you don't want one.

you sure he's not been smoking something :rolleyes:

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, if he has, I'm glad we don't go to the same dealer...

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But, seriously, why don't all these politicians get it into their thick skulls that they're only here temporarily at best. We'd rather NOT have to live with their legacy of "good ideas" for the most part. They're definitely getting above themselves.

13. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

It's like what charlie didn't say about rising above one's station ;)

I think the problem is not so much them imposing their good ideas on us, as them imposing the focus group aproved or contributor suggested ideas on us wrapped in so much verbal obfuscation that trying the failed national rail privatisation programme on the tube could be made to sound like a good idea. ... oh wait

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

15. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

yah, on platforms and in tunnels :)

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

He deserves to have his own reality show. Would be the funniest thing ever.