Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caderly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Hi everyone,

long time reader but first time posting because this time i couldn't find the answer to my question by simply lurking around :p

I'm currently using a Macbook with OS X 10.8.5 since i didn't wanted to change what i know perfectly for something that i'm not familiar with. Anyway that's not the issue here. Recently i started playing Heroes of the Storm and i really enjoyed it while that kind of game isn't my cup of tea normally.

However, i quickly went crazy trying to play this game with the regular Magic Mouse. So i'm looking for a "gamer" mouse that would be OS X friendly, i will even make the update to El Capitan if need be but i need your recommendations or experiences with any mouse other than the Apple one (probably Logitech or Razer i suppose).

Thanks a lot for your help and advices!

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I use a Razer DeathAdder Chroma and really like it. I've actually found Synapse 2.0 to be more functional and stable than Logitech's drivers in both OS X and Windows. The jury is still out on its long-term durability, but so far so good in my case. The software should not require any changes to your operating system either, so no need to upgrade if you don't want to.

Caderly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Good to know! What kind of games are you playing with the DeathAdder??

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I have a Deathadder Chroma and it is a very good mouse. Good sensor and lift off distance. It may be a bit big for some hands, but if you are used to it, grab it. I was not a fan of the Synapse software (still not sold on cloud software for a mouse), so my current go to is a Zowie EC2-A. Great DPI settings, adjustable with a button on the bottom, and the mouse wheel changes color to indicate which DPI you are on. No drivers required, plug and play. I have run borderlands 2, Shadowrun Returns, FFXIV (native and bootcamp) and transistor with both mice.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
That Zowie mouse looks just like the old Deathadder, how they get away with that ?

Caderly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks Kaioshade for your input as well. It looks like that a lot of players are favouring the Deathadder Chroma.

Anyone tried the Naga Hex (6 buttons on the side) or the Logitech Daedalus for comparison??

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Good to know! What kind of games are you playing with the DeathAdder??

I, too, use a DeathAdder Mouse. I love it and recommend it to anyone looking for a capable, easy to use and flexible OS X Mouse. I game with it on FPS games mostly, but also TPS like Batman and Tomb Raider.

Awesome mouse! :)

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks Kaioshade for your input as well. It looks like that a lot of players are favouring the Deathadder Chroma.

Anyone tried the Naga Hex (6 buttons on the side) or the Logitech Daedalus for comparison??

Indeed. The Deathadder series are good mice. The only downside i can think of to them is again, the drivers which may put some off, and Razer Deathadders in the past have had the tendency to develop a double click syndrome, which was due to faulty switches. It does not affect everyone, but it was common enough to be a known issue. The Chroma seems to have rectified this shortcoming as far as i can tell, but they are still relatively new.

I have tried the Naga, and it was useful for MMOs i played, but due to the size of the buttons and my own hands, they were a bit difficult to work with, and i ended up going back to keyboard shortcuts. For what it does, its fine though. I have never used the Logitech Daedalus for more than a few minutes.

That Zowie mouse looks just like the old Deathadder, how they get away with that ?

I think the design is just different enough, and since the sensors are different, and the side button design is completely different. Then again there are only so many ways you can have a mouse shape. There is bound to be some overlap.

Caderly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Yeah i read about the "double click" issue and because of that i haven't pulled the trigger about buying one yet... The thing is that i can't try any of these mices so i will have to trust people on their good work and see how it goes for my hand and Heroes of the Storm.

Just trying to make the right choice since these aren't cheap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.