The Quicksilver Thread

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by codycartoon, Oct 21, 2003.

1. codycartoon macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2002
    The Quicksilver is in my opinion the best looking powermac ever. Not to mention the 867 G4 supplies me with more then enough speed, and i am a filmmaker. I have had it for about 2 years and it has been solid and reliable.

Any Quicksilver peeps around? Any upgrades?

G4 867
    80 gig HD
    60 gig DV
    256 MB Ram
    15 inch Apple Studio Display
    Sound Sticks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Yup, love my QuickSilver :D DP 1GHz / 1GB RAM / 80GB HDD / GF4MX :eek: / Dual Screens / SuperDrive
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I like the QS more than the MDD, but the first time I saw the G5 in person I was like Home Simpson seeing his first doughnut.

4. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    Wouldn't that be Homer Simpson seeing his second dougnut? :D
  5. Mblazened macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2002
    The Valley
    The quicksilver 2002's are the most stable, solid machine apple has built, let alone the most beautiful.

I rarely see these machines in for service. The only thing that ever goes bad is the power supply, which is about the cheapest part you can replace.

Congrats to anyone who owns these babies. They will serve you well.

quiet, too!

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep, thats me. *raises hand*

933 MHz
    1024MB RAM(standard 256+ 256+ 512)
    60GB HD (the original shipping HD)
    80GB external Firewire HD
    Geforce 4 Ti 4600 (Apple model, self-installed)
    Super drive
    17 inch Apple Studio Display
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers
    Running: Mac OS 10.3 Beta 7B85

I have a 19 inch CRT, but the thing weighs 60-70 LB (maybe even more!) and it started to break my computer table. I have to take it off and its now sitting in a closet. That reminds me that I need to replace my comp desk...
  7. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    I am a proud Quicksilver owner, too.
    933 MHz,
    512 MB RAM :(
    80 + 80 + 60 GB internal HDs
    one empty Firewire case for another HD
    19" CRT :eek:
    Soundsticks :D
    Epson 740C
    Formac DV/TV Studio
    iPod 1st Gen. 5 GB
    Canon XM1 :D

and now new:

a PS2 with broadband adaptor connected to the net via Internet Sharing! :)
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I have a dual 800 and it seems a good machine overall.

I've upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB and the video card to a GeForce4MX, both of which helped quite a bit.

I got quite a shock when I picked the thing up to carry it to the car. It's quite a bit heavier than the blue and white G3/400 I had been using.
  9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I must say i also love my quicksilver 733 with a geforce 3 and a gig of memory it does great with room for more and i have installed the owc upgrade running at 1.33 very happy with the machine 2.5 years old. with a newer video card (with ADC ati)im hoping ill get another 2.5 years out of it. currently runs ut2k3,nascar,RTCW,MOHAA like a champ. powermacs are just a great long term investment in my opinion. in fact im getting ready to put in a pci tv card so it will take care of those chores too. best mac i have ever owned.
  10. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2003
    Quicksilver 867
    gig ram
    ATI 9000
    60 + 60 Gig internal
    dual apple 17" studios............

And you can't make me buy another computer!!!! I love this baby, never had a problem, and hopefully never will. I use this for 3D animation, and web stuff. G5, bah...well, maybe I'd take one of those ;) . But for the money I've invested in this box...I think it's been the greatest investment I've ever done. Hands down the finest apple product to date, I'm holding on to it till the dual 3's come out.....but even then I'll still prolly use this!!!

[edit...eerrr, addon] Hey for those of you who have upgraded your processors....should I consider going for the max, or save money and wait for the dual 3's?? I know I said I loved how fast my box is....but speed is speed!!
  11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    glad to hear you like your machine, i like the owc1.33 a lot and they havem at 1.4,1.467 and then there are duallies 1.25 & 1.4 so research this good before you buy and if you take enough time they will have them at even higher clocks soon so patience is a virtue with cpu upgrades. try to double what you have and then get a kick butt video card next year and your machine wll be good to go for a long time. I have mention this before but ihave been zapped 3 times by lighting through my local dsl provider,anyways a new 25$ ethernet card and im back in business. try doing that with the consumer line. it was a little scary at first spending all that money but now i know it was the computer to buy at the time! wanted a cube but they had just discontinued.
  12. macpoweruser macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2003
    I love mine too!

I still have my system I got more than 2 years ago and it's still working great. (Looking forward to that speed increase when I upgrade to a G5 someday)

Never had a problem, except that twice I had a nasty crash followed by a message saying my CPU failed a test so I should take the machine in for a fix. But those were isolated glitches...cosmic rays perhaps?

Dual 800 MHz G4
    GeForce 3
    1.5 GB RAM/60GB HD
    2xCheetahs in a striped RAID (ATTO UL3D)
    22" Cinema display
  13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

Don't make me stab you w/a Q-tip!:mad: :p

14. qxe900 macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2004
    I would agree with you in pronciple - and applogies for posting this in another msg - but you guys are probably a little more knowledgeable than me - although the whole mac things is so stratightforward that if something isnt working - then its more than likely not operational error...Ive got a G4 Quicksilver 867 - the first version, not the mirror door - it was working fine under 9.2, but ive done a clean install of 10.3, the installationwent fine - biut it will completely freeze after a few moments after startup....someone said that its the processor - i instantly thought it was the logic board - but he said that they were made before 10.3 and the processors were problemtatic and this was the issue - anyone have any recommendations of what i can do/fix it/get a new processor (these the guy also said were very scarce - id be happy to use a reliable non apple part as i know you can get processor upgrade things...) Ive disconnected the DVD drive incase that was confliciting and even booted up in safe mode - after a few mins it freezes completely :(

please help!!!