Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I consider myself a fan of Steve Jobs' accomplishments, and realize he was rude and annoying along the way, but opera? A format of someone's choosing to show a glimpse of Steve's obsessions and annoyances in this format? I can see an opera buff and Steve buff thinking to do this, and heck, who cares if they do, but will this be "accessible" by any but a small minority of folks who either cannot get enough of Steve or the Opera itself?

I'm out.

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
With all due respect, these Steve Jobs movies and everything else are getting ridiculous.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I consider myself a fan of Steve Jobs' accomplishments, and realize he was rude and annoying along the way, but opera? A format of someone's choosing to show a glimpse of Steve's obsessions and annoyances in this format? I can see an opera buff and Steve buff thinking to do this, and heck, who cares if they do, but will this be "accessible" by any but a small minority of folks who either cannot get enough of Steve or the Opera itself?

I'm out.

This isn't Hollywood. Ever heard of "The Death of Klinghoffer"? Did you know an operatic version of"Brokeback Mountain" was made (note that BBM was a literary short before a screenplay), in Madrid?

Last edited:
Reactions: mojolicious

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What would you write a new operatic work about?
I would not write an opera about anything. It would be a disaster. I don't even sing in the shower.

I know what you're really asking me and I can only tell you a bunch of people dramatizing the life and times of Steve Jobs in song would put me to sleep. He is a fascinating subject for a documentary. Maybe a movie or two. Maybe. For an opera I think I'd rather see one about JFK and the Cuban Missile Crisis. Or something about the Apollo missions. Or Martin Luther King Jr.

I just can't work up that much excitement about Steve and his domestic dramas and his friendship issues and corporate maneuvers. The products are exciting. Steve is interesting and his place in history is solid. But I remain skeptical about the whole concept of writing an opera about him.

Oh and contrary to the blurb about this opera, Steve as a person and his life weren't THAT complicated. Plenty of people are complete horses patooties in their youth as they work through childhood issues and insecurities or fall for cultural claptrap. Plenty of people encounter career ending crap at work. I suppose it's the fact that all of this happened to the man who brought us the wonder that is Apple makes it somewhat interesting. But how much singing can you do about not wanting to pay child support or see your kid because you're a raging head case. There is more than enough of that going on in the world. It's completely mundane.

Last edited:

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I would not write an opera about anything. It would be a disaster. I don't even sing in the shower.

I know what you're really asking me and I can only tell you a bunch of people dramatizing the life and times of Steve Jobs in song would put me to sleep. He is a fascinating subject for a documentary. Maybe a movie or two. Maybe. For an opera I think I'd rather see one about JFK and the Cuban Missile Crisis. Or something about the Apollo missions. Or Martin Luther King Jr.

I just can't work up that much excitement about Steve and his domestic dramas and his friendship issues and corporate maneuvers. The products are exciting. Steve is interesting and his place in history is solid. But I remain skeptical about the whole concept of writing an opera about him.

Oh and contrary to the blurb about this opera, Steve as a person and his life weren't THAT complicated. Plenty of people are complete horses patooties in their youth as they work through childhood issues and insecurities or fall for cultural claptrap. Plenty of people encounter career ending crap at work. I suppose it's the fact that all of this happened to the man who brought us the wonder that is Apple makes it somewhat interesting. But how much singing can you do about not wanting to pay child support or see your kid because you're a raging head case. There is more than enough of that going on in the world. It's completely mundane.

Well you miss the point. Opera is all about Pathos, and apparently, Steve Jobs had *plenty*. And yes, because he was the man behind Apple, he's been considered a worthy subject. There's no pathos in the Cuban Missile Crisis or the Bay of Pigs. But Richard Nixon maybe? Pathos aplenty. Oh wait, it's already been done!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well you miss the point. Opera is all about Pathos, and apparently, Steve Jobs had *plenty*. And yes, because he was the man behind Apple, he's been considered a worthy subject. There's no pathos in the Cuban Missile Crisis or the Bay of Pigs. But Richard Nixon maybe? Pathos aplenty. Oh wait, it's already been done!

No pathos in being president presiding over a crisis that could precipitate nuclear war? He was a pretty sick man, too, you know. Addison's disease was going to kill him had the assassin's bullet not done the job.

I'm going to digress a bit but I just thought of someone whose life was pretty amenable to an operatic depiction: Princess Diana. Looks like a rather loopy one was done for TV. A better one could still be done. Anyway...

I don't really see pathos in most of Steve Job's life. Okay, maybe a little, especially as he faces the end of his life, which he does do with dignity and class and courage. There could be a hell of a lot of good music coming out of that part of it, I grant you that.

But his early years are like that of a lot of people from his generation and after: A lot of narcissistic whining, and the usual seeking for deeper meaning in trendy and cliche methods typical for the era in which he came of age. I have a cousin who was very much like him that way.

But the dude got to realize some amazingly cool dreams. He dreamed the big dreams, he rose up from the ashes of failure. And he was a complete ****** through a lot of it. Again, Zzzz for me. There isn't anything about his life that will evoke much emotion from me except some admiration for his vision and his ideals. I admit, I'm probably the wrong audience for the concept. It may not mean the concept is hopeless. Again, I'll grant you that. I'll grant you that maybe I'm hopeless.

But that's the great thing about art. There's something out there for everyone. This sounds like something you do "get". More power to you. I hope you enjoy it if you see it. I hope it's a success myself because I love to see the arts flourish even if something isn't my cup of tea.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
It's a lot like the anvil chorus in il Trovatore.

Impressed someone on this thread can quote Opera.

Here, instead of hard work, good wine, and Gypsy women, it is about smart work, really good weed and rock girls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.