The ram in G5 Powermacs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BoneyardBoy, Jun 14, 2004.

1. BoneyardBoy macrumors member

Jun 10, 2004
    Under the sea
    Hi every1. I'm looking in to getting a PowerMac (i only switched to the Mac last May and have already had an iMac, iBook and iPod lol) and I'm just trying to choose what memory to get. I've decided I just wanna get the most powerful amazing computer setup ive ever had that should last me years and for it to tear through programs and not got all clunky and start to slow down quickly. I've got 256mb ram on my iMac and it handles one of my most ram-hogging applications so-so, (ahem... The Sims) and it says on the page for the PowerMac G5 it comes with 256mb ram as standard. But is that the exact same type of ram and performance u get as what's in the iMac? I went onto the Apple store and looked up the specs for the ram in an iMac and it says '256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700)' but for the ram in the G5 it says '256MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200)' so slightly different. Is there much of a noticeable difference in this? Or is it worth bumping the ram up a bit more if I wanna get things like The Sims running perfectly smoothly.

Cheers a billion to whoever answers :) Ste
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Just get as much RAM as you can possibly afford, but not from Apple. Buy stock from them then upgrade yourself. I'd buy from :)
  3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    I believe that the G5 wouldn't be able to take the iMac's RAM if you went down that route, but yes, it makes a big difference, but really because of the actual architecture and not the RAM. The G5 can actually take advantage of the fast RAM, so there is a noticeable difference in RAM related activities. But the actual RAM probably isn't that much faster at all. I hope I answered your questions.