the ramen noodle thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by howard, Mar 31, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

this ones for you scem0

so...how do you like your ramen?

first off top ramen sucks, maruchan(sp?) ramen is far better. and beef is my favorite flavor.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

wow...I cannot even believe this... :eek: ;)

I don't eat ramen noodles...not in line with my healthy diet... ;)

3. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I have lived for years on nothing but ramed noodles.

Boy I loved college.:p

And yes, maruchan brand is FAR superior to top ramen. Too bad my wife wont let me get them. She refuses to buy anything having to do with styrofoam. And the bricks are too much hassle.

If you buy the bricks you dont have to use the packets of MSG concentrate, you know.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Re: the ramen noodle thread

A tear rolls down my cheek...... :D

Thank you.

Let me see if I can find my LONG Ramen post from a thread long ago.

5. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

for some reason i'm having deja vu...i think i posted in macrumors the story i'm about to post now...

anyway a guy i knew used to sprinkle the sauce packet on the hard uncooked noodles and eat them like that...then he would drink lots of water claiming they "expanded a ton in your stomach and made you really full"

haha i thought that was funny

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

here is my post (it isn't as long as I expected :)):

(The question is 'what is your favorite flavor ;))

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe he was a really bad cook, and they actually tasted better if he left them uncooked. ;)

8. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

wow i never knew there was a chili flavor

yeah my second favorite is probably ramen, i rarely it (i don't know why) but really like the chicken ones too.

9. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I had ramen noodles for the first time in about 15 years on Sunday, and all I kept thinking about was the scem0 loves this ****. Anyways I don't remember the brand, but I'm sure it was cheap. I can probably wait another 15 years before I have that again. The flavor by the way was "oriental".

10. vniow macrumors G4

You know you spend too much time on Macrumors when:

11. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

hahaha thats so true...but in some ways very neat too.

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Maruchan is definitely the best. They have the best flavoring. Either beef or chicken would have to be my favorite.

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I remember doing that back in elementary school. Everybody would buy the brick packages (Mr. Noodles), pour the powder into the package, crush the noodles, and eat them like chips. They were great and the best thing was that they were cheaper than chips: $0.25 versus $0.75 a package. The trick was to not pour all of the powder in because then it gets too salty. :)

14. comrade macrumors regular

Lipton's dollar noodle packets are like the gourmet of the cheap noodle niche. But, to be on topic, I perfer anything except the seafood ones. For some reason that's just not right. Over spring break my friend made the most interesting of ramen dishes mixing all kinds of things in them. The best was chicken ramen, with actual chicken pieces in it, and lots of pepper. Yum : )

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Kind of cool to be deemed 'the scem0'. I like it :D:D:D.

16. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Maruchan is definitely better than Top Ramen.

I like to boil about a pint of... (no, my stomach is beginning to growl at the thought of it) ...ahem! water. Then mix in 3 packs of Ramen and choose from any number of Ramen flavor packs laying in the cubboard.

Make the sauce nice and consistent, then let it boil until the noodles begin to break apart, stir really vigorously, taste one noodle to make certain it's cooked, then plop all of it into a big bowl. Watch the pipping hot noodles swirl around in the sauce. Maybe add some of that red Thai(?)/Vietnamese red sause they used to carry at Panda Express. And voila!

O boy..

Okay, now I gotta go make some... the power is too great. I must worship it or it will destroy me... :D

17. Xero macrumors 6502

the key to ramen [only maruchan of course ;)], is BUTTER, lots of freaking butter, and none of the liquid. cook the noodles in water in the M-Wave then drain it, add about a tablespoon or more butter [lots, i mean LOTS of butter, like its going out of style people!], get 'em all sauced up, then put the flavor on. mmmm MMM! WARNING: not for the low-metabolism folks out there, this **** is fat-city! :D

i agree that oriental is the best too.

18. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Re: the ramen noodle thread

Exactly. Maruchan rocks top ramen.

19. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

20. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I still have like 20 packs leftover from my first apartment in '97. What is the shelf life any way? Scem0, you want 'em? I'll mail them to ya.

21. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

UGGH! My friend tony used to do this. only to such an extreme as to make his roomates throw up. Half a stick of butter, boiled and drained ramen, a quart of milk. He called it "Milk and Maccaroni" knowing full well it wasn't maccaroni in his bowl. This culinary genius also invented "Chateau", which was a jug of wine and a bottle of mountain dew mixed together. ahh college.

22. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

If you like to abuse your taste buds and like to feel some serious HEAT. I recommend Korean Kimche Ramen. You can find it at a good Oriental foods store. It's in red packaging. I guarantee you will not be able to finish it. If it was physically possible, steam would shoot out of your ears while eating it.

23. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Any tonkotsu ramen is good... for the 3-minute type ramen I like Men no Tatsujin, but as for the boil-and-do-everything-by-yourslelf type I like the plain old Sapporo Ichiban...

ok, I guess none of you will get that cause it's all Japanese products, but...

irmongoose

24. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Cool.

Do you promise? :D

What about Sopporo Ichiban?

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Okay, here's a thread I can chew on. :)

My favourite brands are Nong Shim for Korean and Sapporo Ichiban for Japanese Ramen. Saying Ramen noodles is redundant, by the way, the men part is already noodle enough. :)

The Nissin stuff like Top Ramen and Cup O'Noodles is like wet cardboard. I once rode in the back of a Honda Prelude from Tokyo to Nikko and back, 3 hours each way. We stopped at a rest area on the way back to Tokyo and they had a Nissin vending machine. The water wasn't hot enough and it ended up tasting like lukewarm wet cardboard...eeeeeww.

I usually buy Seafood, Kimchi, Crab, Shrimp, or Miso flavours. I buy the Nong Shim Neoguri (Seafood) by the case.

I think the best fresh Ramen I had was in Tokyo station where they served Mabo Ramen (like Mabo Tofu, the Chinese entree), but unfortunately, I haven't seen any place like that in the states.