The real reason you shouldn't operate the PowerBook with lid closed

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alex_ant, Aug 22, 2005.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's not heat...

The LCD in my nearly 4 year old TiBook was never that great to begin with, but after all this time it's dim as hell and looks like total ass. So I got a nice LCD monitor and I made a little pincer-stand to hold the TiBook upright next to it with lid closed... which I've been doing for the last 2 months. Well, today I open it up for some maintenance only to discover that the whole inside of the machine SMELLS LIKE BODY ODOR!!

Now I'm a very clean person. I wash thoroughly every day, sometimes twice a day. But it appears that the oil and bacteria from my fingers, in this warm environment, has found ideal conditions in which to flourish... an environment that is in fact just like an armpit. Cuz that's exactly what it smells like.

I wonder if Speed Stick would harm the key caps?

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I almost threw up in my mouth.

*NOTE TO ALL*
    Do NOT buy a TiBook from alex_ant if it appears in the marketplace....

;)

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Guess you'll just have to take the PB to the shower with you. J/k. Thats really wierd. You need to get that fixed because if I sat beside you and smelled that, I wouldn't believe you when you told me it was your computer.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Buy a new keyboard for the old lady and get an iSkin. You can wash it when you need to, which sounds like every time you bathe!

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Do old Tibook screens really get dim and why? and what model do you have 400 500 550?

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

OP: Cleaner + Febreze, and maybe some silica? (silica = the moisture removal packets in shoe boxes and beef jerky)

California: All displays get dimmer as the backlight ages, not just TiBook screens.

7. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Spray it in lynx deodorant. Maybe it will work better on a computer than it will on a human. (Talking about the smell, and the 'attention') :D

8. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

550, it's dim as hell, or maybe it just appears that way compared to a brand new Dell. No, I think it really is dim as hell. I don't remember it always being this way, I think I would have noticed. And the color is terrible too... and the low resolution... yikes! I think it's time to go back to the Dell. :D

9. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

No thanks, I'm starting to get used to the fresh masculine scent.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

All TFT screens get dim over time. It takes a while to kick in. Basically the backlight starts to get dimmer until it's dead.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

febreze is just a nazal anesthetic, it'll still smell but your nose will be out of action.

also lcd's can have thier backlights replaced http://www.lcdpart.com/doc/ccfl.html

12. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

Maybe try Simple Green?

A good cleaner that I like is Simple Green

This page has the Simple Green I use and mentions in the PDF that it is ok to use on a computer.

Good luck!

13. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Ha! :D :D

14. California macrumors 68040

California

But how do you install a new LCD light in an old Tibook I wonder? Have to rip apart the whole screen to do it? I'd like to try, or have an Apple Tech try -- what do you think?

15. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The screen is sandwiched together with glue. I think there are two separate backlights and they are at the bottom of the screen. You'd have to take off the lid (much more of a pain than it sounds), pry apart the screen, find a pair of compatible backlights, and put it all back together. Apple would probably charge several hundred $$$...

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Man that is just sick. Lesson to all I guess, please disinfect your keyboard before closing it up for days on end. Or at least let it breath for several hours each week.

Thankfully I finished my plate of food before reading this most disgusting thread!

17. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

i will never buy a second hand powerbook period after reading this.....

at least with a desktop it's relativly cheap to get a new keyboard.

man, that is off! :mad:

18. Man In Black macrumors member

19. ChoMomma macrumors 6502

ChoMomma

I replaced the backlight on my wife's ibook in July (made a HUGE difference) along with the airport cable (they break over time in the ibook hinge area). It was a 6 hour process due to my extreme caution and slow methodical style. But it was in the end not overly complex, and I saved about $300 by doing it myself. YMMV

20. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

thats really wierd. do you clean your PB on a regular basis? i have a 12" PB that i keep closed and hooked to a monitor when i am at home in the evenings. during the day i keep it open and use the keyboard when i am at work/class. i clean my entire PB with simple green (actually mentioned earlier in the thread) and a lint-free papertowel (yes, they make them for cleaning electronics) i never have any stink, and even better i never get the deposites people often talk about on the palm rests of the PB. come on, its common senese, you clean/dust your workspace (such as your desk) you clean the inside of your car, especially the stearing wheel/ gear shift which you touch the most, so why dont you clean your keyboard? makes sense to me. or am i the only one that does not live in their own filth? (no offense intended)

21. California macrumors 68040

California

"...I replaced the backlight on my wife's ibook in July (made a HUGE difference) along with the airport cable (they break over time in the ibook hinge area). It was a 6 hour process due to my extreme caution and slow methodical style. But it was in the end not overly complex, and I saved about $300 by doing it myself. "

Chomomma, I'm impressed. What model ibook was this? And I've heard Ibooks are the hardest to take apart.

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I was thinking the same. It's not the nicest of subjects, but it's just sweat, you wash it off your body every time you shower. Anyway, public computer terminals and ATM keyboards and such, should be much worse since a lot of different people use them. A laptop will only have the germs of one person, mostly.

If you buy a used laptop, clean it with an appropriate detergent and/or some antiseptic, maybe leave it for a while and clean it again if you're paranoid, and no harm can be done.

Maybe perform a full keyboard cleaning session.

23. Err macrumors member

i wonder if you could lock your powerbook in a closet with a dehumidifier running 24x7 and maybe an ultraviolet light for maybe a week, seems that should cure it by killing all the bacteria... lol :p