The really scary games

Discussion in 'Games' started by quikssurfer, Nov 26, 2006.

1. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

for some people it's the "alone in the dark" or "Resident Evil" series... for me, it's got to be the Silent Hill games. no other game has left imprints in my mind than these. What are some horror games that you've played that have stayed with you over the years??
    another one that i recently popped in was the original "Phantasmagoria" :)
    classic
    Nocturne was a good one, too.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The 7th Guest
    the original Half-Life
    Dark Seed (featuring creature design by H. R. Giger)

3. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

4. quikssurfer thread starter macrumors member

quikssurfer

got it in a 3 game pack with Alice (great game btw)
    couldn't get it to run :(

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Silent Hill was creepy as hell the first time. those damn babies in the school that crawl at you? *shivers*

I find games are more freaky when you don';t have good weapons and such. Like Resident Evil 4 was a lil eerie first time, but once you get the handcannon...

HAHAHAH DIE MUTHAF**** DIE!! <--- me killing everything in one shot

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Resident Evil was pretty scary the first time I played it on the GC. The fact that I kept dying in the first minute didn't help. It was only about a year later when my flat mate decided to give it a try that I got into it and the fear had worn off!
    Doom 3 scared the crap out of me. It didn't help that when I first played it it was three in the morning and I had to play it with the lights off and headphones on because the girlfriend was sleeping behind me. I had to turn it off after half an hour! That first time scared me so much that the first time I played it through properly wasn't until about a month ago, a full two years since I bought it! I had to play with god mode on too. :p

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea im still scared of doom 3. i cant play it

turok 2 was also scary for me

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I am a little ashamed to admit it, but when Super Mario 64 came out i was completely spooked by the world that was the Boos' domain and their whole haunted thing. I don't know i was young but not a little kid at all!!! The funny thing is it wasn't even like a type of fear as if i were afraid of clowns so like clown ghosts were scary, im down with clowns. Something just spooked me about those Boos! :eek: ;)

EDIT: As the poster above mentioned Turok, i too was scared of that game when the first one to be released on the N64 came out, but that was more of a startle when out of nowhere this huge dinosaur would come and start biting you... :D

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Even with god mode on it scared me and made me jump many a time!

10. quikssurfer thread starter macrumors member

quikssurfer

lol
    i'm laughing with you

11. quikssurfer thread starter macrumors member

quikssurfer

oh yeah.. those screaming babies gave me the spooks.. helluva way to start the game off too

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Well that's good to know. Seriously though if you can't laugh at that, what is there really to laugh at? :D

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I find it's games that don't try to be scary work best. Resident Evil 4? Doesn't scare me. Resident Evil 1 made me jump when the dog comes in through the window. Silent Hill and co really don't do it to me, neither do these "horror" films.

It's Doom 1 that gets me. Cyberdemon. just the noise. The persistent stomping of a demon on top of Babels tower... oooh shivvers.

14. wako macrumors 65816

Doom 3 and FEAR definitely ranks high up there for me...

15. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I have been unable to play F.E.A.R. for weeks now, as I know I have saved it at a point just microseconds before something pant-poopingly scary happens.

Being aware of it before it happens has not lessened the fear.

S.I.G.H.

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That Cyberdemon scared the **** out of me!! I agree that usually the things that we don't expect to be scary are the worst.

My worst experience was watching the film "Event Horizon", not realising it was a horror film at all, thinking it was just a plain old Sci Fi film like Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars etc. I let myself get soaked into the film and I've never been so scared of a film in my life!!

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I still have that for PC, i loved it. Need more games like this.

Ed

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Fatal Frame

Mostly scary because you have to "kill" the ghosts by taking pictures of them. The closer they are to you and the better framed the shot is the more damage you do. Running away doesn't help since you really do need to be right in their faces.

19. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

That scene made me jump as well.

Some games I find unsettling but not really scary. They are: Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil series, Doom 3, Chiller, and Haunted House ;)

I bet there are others.

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

So true. It fascinates me to note how many horror movies Sam Neill is in after watching "The Dish".
    "Event Horizon" was pretty damn freaky.

A game that needs to be remade with better graphics is Marathon RED. Awesome game, really freaky. Also really free. As in free. It's awesome.

The movie that takes the cake for completely frieking me out? "Alien 4". Watched it with friends, so everything's funny... Not fun trying to get to sleep after it though :D

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

22. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Im kinda surprised that no one said the game that I'm about to say...Eternal Darkness on the GameCube. For some reason, that really got me. Especially while playing at 4am with all the lights off, and the story saying "You never know what lies behind you in the darkness..." Wow, that was a great game!

23. quikssurfer thread starter macrumors member

quikssurfer

how could i forget this game???!!!
    this game totally freaked me out.. i couldn't keep playing it..
    i would like pick up the 2nd one

24. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Alien Versus Predator 2 Gold gave me a good scare. And Turok 2 at certain points.

Never played any resident evil game...gotta give that a try.

25. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew