Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterjeter26

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
there is no cable that people can watch live tv, honestly do u really need it to be wireless come on u know u can just hook it up and plus you can watch on your computer. without having channels on apple tv its just a complete waste of money.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Someone's missing the point. :rolleyes:

EDIT: "You know why no one buys refrigerators? Because you still have to go to a store and get food, man!"

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Not everyone desires to watch live television. My friend waits until the season DVDs are released and either buys or rents them and watches the whole thing in one shot because don't watch enough content to justify a $60+ monthly cable bill.

ceres

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Dark Forests of Germania
Not everyone desires to watch live television. My friend waits until the season DVDs are released and either buys or rents them and watches the whole thing in one shot because don't watch enough content to justify a $60+ monthly cable bill.

It´s 30 Euros for me, meaning that a PS3 at 389 will be paid for in about a year.
Everybody in Europe dls HD Content from the US either as .tor or via usenet because content providers and right holders are in the US and treat the rest of the world not as nicely. Nobody <50yrs over here waits a year after US airtime to buy the dvd box sets. Apple TV won´t even sell to the obese this side of the ocean bc the same content restrictions will apply all over again frustrating both the consumer and Apple.

bentup

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
San Francisco
I think he means it lacks a tv tuner? while I DO already have an Apple TV. A stock tuner and DVR would be pretty sweet, and would probably lead to more sales!

But 2.0 will be pretty sweet too, so I'm content. :p

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
So let me get this straight. ATV cannot record live TV as a DVR would? Is this the case? I understand the OPs position on this if it does not.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
No, it's not a cable box. Do you know what an Apple TV is?
I know it's not a cable box. However can an HD cable box be connected to it and used like a DVR? If not then what is the point of it other than as a means to rent movies which I can do through my cable provider. Please explain the advantages. Oh by the way I am not a troll. Is everyone who comes to these forums with questions, trolls?

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
Thats like saying nobody buys DVD players because you cant watch live TV on them. Nearly every television has more than one input, and you can easily change between them.

besides...i dont even have any live tv anyway.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I know it's not a cable box. However can an HD cable box be connected to it and used like a DVR?

No it cannot. It only has video and audio outputs.

If not then what is the point of it other than as a means to rent movies which I can do through my cable provider.

• Can your cable DVR stream music from your iTunes collection?
  • Can your cable DVR show pictures from your Mac or PC?
  • Can your cable DVR view MP4 videos from your Mac or PC?
  • Can your cable DVR buy content (music and movies) from the iTunes store?

If it cannot, do you wish your cable DVR could do any or all of these things?

If so, you might want to consider an Apple TV.

If not, then the Apple TV is not something you need concern yourself about.

:)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
However can an HD cable box be connected to it and used like a DVR? If not then what is the point of it other than as a means to rent movies which I can do through my cable provider. Please explain the advantages.

You have to pay the cost of your movie rental, plus your monthly subscription to your cable provider. How much is that? Most people pay in the $40-$60 range for monthly services. We only have HDTV through an antenna on our roof, plus a one-time expense of an Eye TV Hybrid of $150. Since we already have a computer and high-speed internet access, this is the most cost-efficient means of renting HD movies and recording HD content from our local TV stations for playback on the ATV.

The ATV is a kick-@$$ device.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Reason nobody here buys the :apple:tv?

Sod-all video content. No rentals, no movies, no TV shows nothing. Just music videos and short films and it's been that way ever since iTunes did videos.

Unless it changes quick smart the 2.0 software update will just give us a new way to do the same things we do now and even more buttons that don't do anything.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't want one because there is no SCART output. So it'd just sit there under my TV.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't want one because there is no SCART output. So it'd just sit there under my TV.

That's Apple for you again: They always do things the American way, even in products sold internationally. This is just the same as Apple's insistence of hooking iChat up to AIM instead of MSN.

MattV151

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
So let me get this straight. ATV cannot record live TV as a DVR would? Is this the case? I understand the OPs position on this if it does not.

I agree too. Im still going to get one but I have friends that use Windows Media Center and they can record their TV shows. It would be nice if ATV had the same features as a Windows program.

TheQuestion

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Location is relative, no?
Apple TV blows!

I know a harsh statement. But Apple TV is doomed for failure in so many ways.

Talk about trolling...

After macworld, i know 7 people (including myself) who went out an bought one in anticipation of rentals. Like another poster in this thread, I'm not sure you understand what the purpose of the device is

TheQuestion

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Location is relative, no?
Most of the online streaming content is free.

http://www.abc.com

Check out the LOST seasons in HD.

I connect my MB to my big screen TV and my Home Theater...no payment.

Commercial interruptions, no fastforward/skipping...not my cup of tea. Each to their own though. However, I'm glad it does work for you. It does provide more incentive and creativity in moving HD content to network.

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
There's a point to all of this. The general public has absolutely no idea what ATV is for. None at all.

They barely know what a DVR is, and they have been on the market for a decade. J6P has no clue what an ATV does. Apple is a computer company that makes iPods--they don't have a TV network, right? Rip a DVD to a computer? Huh?

Not that Apple markets ATV to the general public. ATV really is an experiment. It's exploring a business model. That much should be obvious to anyone who can connect a few dots. The vision isn't hard to see--downloaded, paid content supplanting and later displacing the advertisement driven subscription services of today. Nobody thinks of their cable or satellite that way, though. There's a cultural gap that Apple isn't likely to bridge.

Live content is the challenge. Perhaps IPTV will surmount that, but that's not here just yet. The idea would shake certain industries to their core.

I think Apple has made some mistakes. They've failed to see the draw of user-created content. I'm not talking about Youtube--that's a distraction for most people, not the diversion from life that TV provides. I'm not talking about Flicker and .Mac. I'm talking about photos we take ourselves and keep in our iPhoto libraries.

Apple has botched that. Their photo implementation sucks. No thumbnails? Linear slideshows only? It's awful.

Digital cameras are far more ubiquitous than iPods. Everyone has one. My grandparents have them. We take thousands of photos, but what do we do with them? We take photos to create memories, and share memories. Today's HDTVs are awesome for displaying photos. The problem is that for most people, the photos are stuck on the computers. I've seen people load up memory cards and try to run a slide show from their cameras. How clunky.

Nobody likes clunky. ATV's photo implementation is clunky. It's an after-thought.

Apple has botched ATV in more than one way. They've tied it to iTunes, so as to be cross-platform. Sorry, but iTunes is a lousy photo app. I'd much rather see Apple restrict ATV to Mac users and allow some better photo functionality. ATV has a limited audience already, so there's little harm in further limiting it while working to get it "right."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.