The reinstall/reformat questionaire.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 8thDegreeSavage, Jul 25, 2002.

1. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Ok i have some questions, can anyone help me out?

One thing...what is the easiest way to retain all of your custom configs, when you only have one drive to work off of that is not partitioned.

I really want to clean install, but i dont want to have to hunt down all those installers for all my apps and such, i dont have alot of mac buddies, and i dont wannna risk losing all my stuff.

Please someone enlighten me ....:D
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Save the "Users" folder, and make a note of the short names in the users folder.

When you create the first user make sure the short name is the same as your old one - I was able to save the majority of my configuration, though there were a couple bugs in the soup.

Works if you can offload the stuff somewhere, but doing it with only one drive is going to be a little harder.

For a clean install you'll most likely end up having to redo all the installs again to get back to where you were - it is after all a clean install - especially if the programs required an installer.

Though the apps that were drag and drop you should be able to move from the Application folder into your account in the Users application folder.
  3. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Cool thanks it possible to swap if you have a firewire HD?