The Respected Opposition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    We spend a lot of time kvetching about people on "the Other Side", left or right, who are disreputable, despicable people. Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly are some of the most obvious political crapmasters, for example.

But what about those people on the opposite side of the political fence whom we can respect?

What, you say? You can't think of any such people? Oh come on, be fair now. I'll tell you my favorite "respected opposition" if you'll tell me yours.

John McCain

An obvious choice when you think about it. McCain is not a zealot. When he thinks somebody in his own party is wrong, he's not afraid to say so...even when it costs him.

George Will

If you want to read some conservative commentary that does not distort the facts or scream names at you, read George Will. I find myself usually disagreeing with the man, occasionally siding with him; but even when you don't buy his arguments, he at least makes his case in a reasoned, professional manner. Two things George Will are not are intellectually dishonest and a bully. (It's probably why he doesn't attract as much attention as Rush or Ann or Bill. Ah well.)

Arianna Huffington

This one's a bit of a cheat. Ostensibly a conservative, she's undergone something of a transformation in recent years. Now she gives it to the left and the right. She has no problem extolling the achievements and decrying the stupidities of either party. Good for her!

Colin Powell

Man, I actually not only respect him, but I feel sorry for this guy. I mean, talk about being a war hero, then being asked to defend questionable intelligence, and then having your *** left hanging out to the wind. Colin Powell gets my vote as the Republican to be most pitied. No wonder he wants out of Bush's cabinet. (Now, if he'd only get on his son's case.... ;) ) you admire any members of the "enemy" party? (I'd be especially interested to hear conservatives tell us of any liberals they actually respect.)
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    a fascinating thing happened to former IL governer george ryan. after it became clear his political career was over (due to a scandal), he suddenly started governing in a different way.

the two things i respect about his about face:
    1. citing system-wide problems and evidence that it doesn't serve as a deterrent, he imposed a moritorium on capital punishment in IL

2. he suddenly blew off all the anti-o'hare expansion lobbyists and, along w/ chicago mayor richard daley, solidified a plan to add runways at o'hare
  3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    Folks like Sens Kennedy and Clinton get so much press that it's difficult to find national level Democrats for whom I have respect. And, in all fairness, the same holds for many Republicans as well.

Democrat Sanford Bishop, a US Rep from Georgia seems like a very rational person...In "all things considered" fashion, the local state rep to Austin is a pretty good guy.

Now, at the more local level, I find quite respectable folks in both parties. In "all things considered" fashion, the local (Dem) state rep to Austin is a pretty good guy.

Me, I'm somewhat libertarian, definitely a fiscal conservative, and sure-enough independent. This affects my views about both parties, natcherly.

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Hard to say. It seems like the loudmouthed pundits on both sides steal all the thunder. The Limbaughs, Coulters, Oreillys, Moores, Kennedys, Clintons, et al basically keep rational politicians/pundits from ever being heard.

I like Boortz. He definately leans right, but doesn't tow any party lines. I think he calls em like he sees em and makes sense 90% of the time.

Savage is a bit crazy, but fun to listen to. He has an old world view on things and, again, doesn't worship anyone with an "R" next to their name. He makes sense about 50% of the time.

The opposition...

Ben Affleck. I saw him on TV supporting Kerry. He's the only entertainer type that's not infected with that "I'm rich, but I wrote a song about/once played a poor guy, so I know what it's like to be poor" complex. He came off as intelligent, thought out, and rational.

Barack Obama. Finally someone gets it. This guy seems like he, imagine this, ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT PEOPLE!!!

Mike the DJ. He's an old friend and a DJ at my school. He's the only liberal I know that I can actually have a rational political disussion with. I concede, he concede's... and we both understand that partisan hatred is bad for America. He won't vote for Bush, but he has good reasons. Not just a bunch of bumper sticker slogans any bandwagon ideas. Best liberal I know.