The Revolutions controller

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

sorry if people came here with an answer to the controller. but hey, its more info on this elusive device.

Also its been announced that Sega, Ubisoft, Square Enix and Capcom, as well as the obvious Retro Studios, Intelligent Systems and co. have all pledged full support for the Revolution. I dunno about you, but Sega and Nintendo are a fantastic combination. I mean has anyone played F-Zero GX? Probably one of the single greatest racing games of our generation. *i said game, not sim :p

I also hear that Capcom have been bought by Nintendo, but I'm not sure about this. I cant remember where i heard it!

2. applekid macrumors 68020

"Never underestimate Nintendo," ey?

Any of your read the book Game Over? I guess it's sorta worth reading. The version I have leads up to the PSX/N64 generation. A nice little history of the game industry and Nintendo (mostly Nintendo).

Well, industry insiders say Revolution, the controller, and every other detail will be released "soon." We'll just have to see how good it really is.

3. Devie macrumors 6502a

Ok that is like the most awesome thing I have read about the Rev! You got a source for that quote?

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Capcom has a close deal with Nintendo, but are not owned by them. Nintendo did buy large portions of Namco and of Bandai, then the two merged, so Nintendo owns a big chunk (around 25% IIRC) of Namco-Bandai.

Also:

http://www.cubeparty.nl/nieuws/item/16774/

Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic:

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hm, did some research and I found the original source for both quotes:

http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

6. Devie macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks for that guys. That blog is a good read.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

thanks for clearing that up :)

its funny how it isn't strictly Nintendo hyping up the Rev, but the other game studios like Sega. which leads me to think that this is going to be rather big. *cue haunting militant music*

8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Funny to see Molyneux creating hype over something other than one of his own over-hyped video games.

9. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

September 16th

Details are coming September 16th

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

who else got shivers up their spine reading that quote? or was it just me. God i can't wait for the Revolution

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

You said it. The awesome thing is that it seems to be the fans who are hyping up the Revolution, not Nintendo or anyone else. I honestly do not think that we are going to be disappointed by what Nintendo has to offer us this time around. I think that Nintendo has been underestimated by far too many people after the 'cube and a lot of people are going to be surprised... its all been Xbox and PS3 up to this point, but I just have this feeling I will be lining up on the release day with cash in hand (my fiance has already said that I can get one :D )... here's hoping.

12. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Before getting trounced by the Big N fanboys, let me say I am a Nintendo fan. I've owned every system they've release (notable exceptions: VirtualBoy and DS (thus far). I like them, I think they have innovative ideas. They seem to be a company who hires creative talent and lets them run with their ideas without imposing too much corporate b.s. on them. This is a good thing that leads to innovative products - which will include success and failures.

The VirtualBoy was an innovative idea, but it flopped. The concept behind the DS still eludes me. Who was asking for a second, touch-sensitive screen? Anyone? Granted, I don't own one, I tried playing it at the store and it felt just as goofy as I had imagined it. I would have rather had a single screen version of the DS in a Gameboy SP style shell released at $99 to replace the SP playing GBA and the new DS titles.

Nintedo has also had great ideas such as the four controller ports on the N64 and the Wavebird controllers for the Cube. Although I get tired of how they over-use the characters they have built over the years (Mario, Samus Aran, DK, Wario, etc) the gameplay in their self-developed titles is generally quite good. Most of the GBA/GC hook up stuff was just a gimmick and rarely provided added value, in the handful of cases where I was able to use it. (i.e. Wind Waker)

The way I see it Nintendo is hit and miss, particularly with hardware. I hope the Revolution does very well and is innovative and successful. Still, I'm not 100% confident we will all be wowed and the Big N will gain back marketshare. I don't see them disappearing either, they have a loyal fanbase and will be around for some time to come.

Sometimes I do think they'd be better off as a software company like Sega. Most people disagree with me though.

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

This isn't a go at you per se, but rather the mass of people who say that.

"I used to have a NES, SNES, N64 but I suddenly stopped liking everything they had to offer and got an Xboxxors/PS2oxxors" the point im making, this part is nowhere near aimed at you... is that you can tell most of these people didn't like nintendo. they just wanna bash :)

I think the ideaology behind the DS is simplisity. or a certain degree of it. Take Kirby DS. its SO damn easy. nothing more than controlling Kirby (or any of the other characters) with nothing more than drawing lines on screen. Tap kirby to make him go fast, draw a line for him to ride it. Its a step in the right direction because its pure simple to play, yet has an immense amount of gameplay (at the moment it seems to be the highest rated DS game).
    I mean there are games coming out like Tony Hawks and Nanostray which dont bother with being simple-fun-deep games... they're using the old way of cramming everything into a game to make it fun method. which does work. but the gaming world cannot stay still forever, or at least parts of it cant.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

15. Project macrumors 68020

I thought Game Over was a great read. Wouldnt mind digging it up again actually. Must be like 8 years since I read it.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I love the fun easy games that are on the DS, i also got the Wario World Twister (or whatever it is called) i have spent so many hours on that game just playing it, its mesmorizing.

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

wow! thats sort of very cheesy but brilliant at the same time. ive always known that each Nintendo machine brings something new to the world. that vid just put my thoughts into a mini film :D

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can't wait for the Revolution either, although i probably won't buy one the minute they come out, i will be getting one in the first year of release i am sure..... im excited to see what Nintendo has up their sleeve

19. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Nintendo seems to be betting allot on this one. I really hope is as revolutionary as they claim :D