The RIAA is evil!

Discussion in 'Community' started by desdinova, Aug 1, 2002.

1. desdinova macrumors newbie

The RIAA has lobbied for two bills that would give them unprecedented power. The first bill would give them unbridled power to infiltrate and disrupt peer to peer networks:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945923.html

This bill allows the RIAA to search P2P networks and under their discretion launch electronic warfare against them. All without any oversight by any government authority. No other group public or private, has this type of power. This is the electronic equivalent to entering your home without a warrant in search of a bootleg copy ABBA Live at the Palladium on a hunch that you have it. Oh by the way if they’re wrong, you have no recourse unless they do over $250 damage and even then you would have to get permission from the attorney general to sue them. They don’t have to get permission to search you but you have to get permission to sue them. OUTRAGEOUS!

The second bill:

http://news.com.com/2010-1071-946732.html

Basically makes it a felony to bypass any copyright protection schemes. I guess technically I am now a felon... I design high end audio equipment for a living and I am now in the middle of designing a terabyte server to distribute audio throughout the customers house. This necessitate making exact digital copies of CDs and other media. Under this law that would be illegal.

These laws are dangerous and we as technically savvy users need to spread the word to everyone we know. We also need to let our feelings known to the lawmakers, write Congress. Let me state I am in no way an advocate of piracy but an electronic police state scares me and it should you too. If we do nothing I guarantee things will get worse.

2. job macrumors 68040

job

My personal opinion about the RIAA :

A bunch of monolithic, archaic, pin-heads who are afraid of change.

Instead of using file sharing networks and the .mp3 format, they resist, which results in losses for both them and the artists.

An example : The Red Hot Chili Peppers now offer songs from their new album as .mp3 downloads, each for $0.99.

Why can't the labels and the RIAA provide such services? Sure, if someone buys the .mp3 and distributes it, they lose money. But doesn't that happen already with CD-Burners?

I will say that I don't know that much about the RIAA; these are mearly my personal thoughts on the matter.

3. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

No the RIAA wonders why people hate them.....

I will never buy a music CD ever again. Those bastards!!!!

4. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

how exactly would they know the downloaded mp3's from the legit ones?

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i thought law number 2 was already covered by the DMCA

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The RIAA can kiss my @$$... Especially if they want me to shut down my streaming server, that only I use... (well, and possibly a few others :cool: )