Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Two universities win battle against RIAA subpoenas

The U.S. recording industry received a setback in its nationwide campaign to quash music piracy on the Internet Friday when a federal judge ruled that two universities did not have to comply with subpoenas requesting that they hand over the identities of students who could be illegally sharing music online.

Both the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Boston College won their requests to reject subpoenas issued by the Recording Industry Association of America Inc. (RIAA) over jurisdictional issues, according the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Every little bit helps? No, you're right, the schools will probably lose at the local level. :(

Pity the RIAA won't take the obnoxious wads of cash it's feeding to its litigation and put it towards actually releasing and promoting new music worth listening to. They're throwing one heckuva lot of money after a business model that's already irrelevant. A truly imaginative recording CEO would find a way to make money out of the situation at hand, not further trash the industry's already unpopular image by electing themselves the Copyright Police.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i wish someone could sneak into the RIAA's head place if they have one and just put about 400 songs in a kazza folder, then make it public. oh the embarasment. that would be so much fun.

iJon

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by iJon
i wish someone could sneak into the RIAA's head place if they have one and just put about 400 songs in a kazza folder, then make it public. oh the embarasment. that would be so much fun.

iJon

How about millions of songs?

On every P2P network.

:p

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
How about millions of songs?

On every P2P network.

that sounds even better.then they will say well we didnt know about it, then 1000 grandpa's will respond neither did we.

iJon

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
that sounds even better.then they will say well we didnt know about it, then 1000 grandpa's will respond neither did we.

iJon

Now because they refuse to sue themselves, that would make a great case of ignorance, and a great defense.

'if the RIAA can't control their own computer's actions, who can?'

--pwn

'Hey, why are we using so much bandwidth?'
'Aren't we scanning FastTrack clients for songs'
'But 1 Gigabyte per second?'
'*spits out coffee*'

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Now because they refuse to sue themselves, that would make a great case of ignorance, and a great defense.

'if the RIAA can't control their own computer's actions, who can?'

--pwn

'Hey, why are we using so much bandwidth?'
'Aren't we scanning FastTrack clients for songs'
'But 1 Gigabyte per second?'
'*spits out coffee*'

you know, a scam like this could be pulled enough with enough brain power and people willing to do it in that location.

iJon

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Actually, it might be even better if there was only 1 song on the said folder. If they are serious about their "even one song" crackdown, this would be as big of a black eye.

Regards,
Gus

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
you know, a scam like this could be pulled enough with enough brain power and people willing to do it in that location.

iJon
:cracks knuckles:
Okay So who's in?

:D

But really where is the RIAA headquarters?

1 Song would be enough to get a point across.

But which song?

Which would make the most embarrassing... hmmmmm.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
:cracks knuckles:
Okay So who's in?

:D

But really where is the RIAA headquarters?

1 Song would be enough to get a point across.

But which song?

Which would make the most embarrassing... hmmmmm.
Ween - You F***ed Up

iJon

seantyas

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
in defense of RIAA

Now I am actually going to stand up for what they are doing. I agree with most of you, untalented people like britney who have managed to fool the public into thinking the fact that she is a sex kitten also means that she is talented could stand to lose a few bucks...

But...

It's new artists or people who just want to make music for a living who are taking the hit. Labels, more and more, are refusing to sign new artists, they wont take the chance of not meeting the money they laid out to make the music available, and this is why we have pretty much been stuck with the same garbage the last 2 years.

And then we look at indie labels, seems as tho at least one closes down per month... This is sad, it's the indie labels that are responsible for 90% of "furthering" music, thus it has just stayed stagnant for at LEAST two years now.

Granted, I do think people should be given a way to get music quickly and even maybe a lil more cheaply, and it has certainly helped dance music "popularity"... But the medium is based on 12" vinyl releases, and the majority of record stores I knew of have closed down...

So, in defense of the RIAA, I would say I would love to see something get solved, BUT I would also like to think that they are doing it to help the new artists more than maintain the popstars fat wallets. There's no reason for that.

seantyas

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
then if the even SOME artists are the good guys here, and of screwing over the RIAA also screws over the artists as well, how is anyone winning except for people no paying for a particular product.

You go into a deli, and you're going to pay for what you get. You go into a store, and unless you're wynona, you're going to pay there as well, why should people be able to get music for free? What makes someone who puts his heart and soul into his or her music different from someone who makes/designs clothing?

seantyas

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
wow, ok, if half the stuff on this site is true, then I am defending the wrong party. My I take back "RIAA" and replace that with "artists"...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Look's like they've backed off a bit due to all the bad press...
Monday, Aug. 18, 2003

Music Group Won't Sue Small Downloaders

By FREDERIC J. FROMMER Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Recording Industry Association of America says it will not go after small violators when it sues people who illegally share songs on the Internet.

The assurance came in a written response to questions by Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman, chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs' Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. Coleman plans to hold hearings on the RIAA's campaign, which he has labeled "excessive."

"RIAA is in no way targeting 'de minimis' users," wrote Cary Sherman, the group's president, in a letter the subcommittee released Monday. "RIAA is gathering evidence and preparing lawsuits only against individual computer users who are illegally distributing a substantial amount of copyrighted music."

Sherman added that his group "does not condone any illegal copying and does not want anyone to think that even a little illegal activity is acceptable."...

[delete to end]

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Even better, if it were discovered that in the RIAA's basement there were various server clusters running dedicated servers for KDX, Kazaa, Gnutella, Hotline, etc. etc. serving only movies and games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.