The right time to switch? Windows user asking for advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waitingforjoost, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. waitingforjoost macrumors newbie

    Mar 10, 2007
    So as I'm typing this, I have two apple stores windows open.

    1. Refurbished Apple MacBook (White): $1099.00
    1GB RAM
    2.0 Ghz C2D
    80 GB etc, etc, etc.

    2. Apple MacBook Pro $2900 w/ AppleCare
    2GB RAM
    120 GB HD
    2.33 Ghz C2D etc, etc, etc.

    I know Leopard's around the corner. I know Santa Rosa is coming. Same with NAND booting laptops and a bump in graphics.

    I can go without playing games (not like I game much nowadays anyway). I don't do much in terms of photoshop, final cut etc (but that might change).

    Lets work with the assumption that I need a laptop. One that is good enough to do some web development on (RoR, LAMP, some basic graphic design maybe).

    Which one would you choose? Would you go with the Macbook Pro and just buy Leopard in a month or two? Or would you go with the refurbished Macbook and then replace it in a year, year and half when Leopard's bugs have been worked out and the hardware has been stabilized?

    Essentially... what's the better value? I'm a bit wary at throwing out $3000 when updates in all sectors (software, hardware) are around the corner.
  2. MacNut macrumors Core


    Jan 4, 2002
    I would go with the faster MacBook Pro and just upgrade Leopard.
  3. waitingforjoost thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks for the input. And a fellow Yankees fan I see... :)
  4. MacNut macrumors Core


    Jan 4, 2002
    If you can hold out till June all the Laptops should see an upgrade.
  5. suneohair macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2006
    I would go Macbook unless you need 15". You aren't really getting much more for that $2000 more, buy an external display if you need extra space at home.
  6. plinden macrumors 68040


    Apr 8, 2004
    For all this with no gaming, the MacBook would be more than sufficient. Even PhotoShop would work with barely any difference between the MB and the MBP since it's not GPU intensive. I'm not sure about FCP though.

    If you think you might want a better machine within the next year, with the new Santa Rosa chipset, Leopard, probably a new form factor, go for the MacBook, put the extra $1800 aside and save so you have enough to buy a new MBP next year.
  7. polevault139 macrumors 6502

    Sep 24, 2006
    Are they both CD or C2D? It doesnt really matter though. Get the MB you will save money for the MBP in the future. The speed increase you will see with the MBP will be minimal becuase none of the programs you are describing are GPU intensive. Use the extra money to get the MB up to 2GB of RAM and you will have an awesome machine.
  8. neyoung macrumors member

    Jan 15, 2007
    It sounds to me that a MacBook will suit your needs nicely. It also won't break your bank which will allow you to upgrade to a new machine sooner rather than later. The main advantages of the MacBook Pro is the larger screen and the video card. But if you need neither then there isn't much reason to get the MBP.

    Get the refurb MacBook now and get leopard when it comes out. In my opinion its not worth the wait till possibly June (or later since they haven't announced a date yet) to save a hundred bucks.

Share This Page