The right way to rip a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stevez0r, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Stevez0r macrumors member

I'm going to rip some DVD's I own and I want to watch them on my PSP. I'm trying to find a guide for Mac's so that I'll do it the right way. Do I need Mac The Ripper and Handbrake? or will Handbrake do everything for me? I mean it will rip and compress the DVD file? Is there a guide to rip DVD's for the PSP any where?

2. worriedmac macrumors regular

worriedmac

i think pspware can do it straight from the disc, at the very least this is a very useful program when you have a psp. You can download it for free.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Handbrake will do everything you need in one step. In fact, they've released 'instant handbrake' with built-in presets for iPods and PSPs:

http://handbrake.m0k.org

Although the full-blown handbrake will certainly do it if you put in the right settings.

Edit: Note that the size and format needed for the PSP is probably not what you want for viewing on your system. If you plan to do both, I would rip it twice- once in high quality for your computer (with either MTR for the original DVD dupe or handbrake for a mp4 file) and then again for your PSP usage.