The Rise of Rov'e Republic

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004

A great diary, well worth reading. What do you think Thomas? There is a lot more and all of it should be read.
  2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    A very interesting, very scholarly interpretation, explanation and amplification of several things we've heard being that the neo-cons are dedicated to bankrupting the nation in order to establish their new order (i.e., one without social programs); another being that Rove is behind so much of it.

By coincidence, I happen to be reading "Bush's Brain", which, for the unfamiliar, is about Rove. I'm only about a third of the way in, but already I'm seeing him depicted from his youth as an outsider from a troubled home, a person who even then was brilliant but soulless, dangerously ambitious, viciously competetive, morally sociopathic, and who defines himself as one who destroys others. Given the actions of his adult life, I have absolutely no problem with taking this portrait of him at face value. Moreover, the book posits, he has been positioning himself since adolescence for sitting at the right hand of power. He never wanted to be president. He wanted to be the man behind the curtain who controls the president. And so he is.

But I'm getting off onto a Rove tangent here. I haven't yet read all of that long link-- the material is rather dense (in the good sense of that word) -- but I will, and I'll post any additional thoughts.
  3. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Karl Rove has the ideal job. He is not an elected official. He essentially runs the country, but has none of the strings. He will likely be a kingmaker for the next republican president (Jeb?).

He had Dick Morris' old gig before Clinton cut him loose. :)

About the article, well, yes, it definitely seems like the republicans have a conscious strategy of starving the government and general disinvestment. That strategy goes back to Reagan and Thatcher. They might argue that they're replacing public investment with private investment, but frankly I don't see a lot of investment going on, either public or private.

I personally think its obvious that, no matter what your political bent is, we're not going to have a first class country without better schools, better health care coverage, and more transportation options. When the republicans constantly vote against these things, it makes me wonder what their true goals are. Do they just assume that they'll all be multi-millionairres and won't have to worry about these things for themselves or their children?

I have dreams of financial success too for myself and my children, but I don't think I need to bankrupt the country to make my dreams happen - I think that my fortuness will be better if I live in a prosperous country. I really don't get why the repubs don't see it that way.
  4. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    That sounds like Rove to me.....