The Room 101 Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Oct 27, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is a program that has been going for years here in the UK on the BBC, and for all I know there are foreign versions of it, or it may be aired else where, anyway…

Room 101 is a program where they get some celeb on to choose 4 things to put in to Room 101. Room 101 is a place to put something that you absolutely hate, or drives you mad etc. It can be anything, cellophane wrapping, mums driving round in 4x4s, children’s television, tabloid newspapers, anything.

So, what 4 things would you put in to Room 101? You need to pick only 4 things, and give good reasons why you want rid of them forever!!!!

The reasoning behind your 4 choices is the important bit! Please don't just post 4 things you hate, and leave. Thanks :D

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

• Indian Call Centres – over-friendly, usually useless, noisy lines...

• QuarkXpress – DTP program that manages to surprise me every day in ways I never expect. Indesign is not an option in the studio at the mo...

• People who linger around aimlessly in busy places blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic i.e. at the top of the escalator you're on, the entrances to buildings etc.

• Haircuts – can never get a good one, no matter how much I spend. Every day is a bad hair day with me.

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

bill gates covers all four bases... i need not explain...

reality

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No you do need to explain, that's the whole point!
    It should be 4 different things, but if you really can't think of any, the 4 good reasons why you would 101 Mr Gates will have to do...

I'm still thinking about my choices...

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

After a tiny bit of thought:

(1) Poor drivers who waste my time by tying up traffic. Why? People learn to drive in their teens. When I drive to/from work, probably 95% of the drivers are over 25 years old. They almost all have thousands of hours of driving experience. Yet so many of them never, ever seem to learn how to drive efficiently. If anything, they get worse. And, for the most part, the worst ones are the slowest ones. If everyone drove optimally, traffic conditions would improve vastly.

(2) Waiting for a appointment. Why do doctors, dentists, etc. have the right to keep us waiting for so long? Why can't they schedule better? I understand completely that emergencies arise. However, I find it hard to believe that emergencies have arisen 95% of the time I have an appointment.

(3) Sales idiots. I truly enjoy dealing with sales professionals who know more about their product than I do. I like having questions answered correctly. However, all too often, I run into idiots with no sales ability, no product knowledge, and no desire/incentive to make a good impression on me.

(4) Business meetings. I think that I have - maybe - been to one business meeting in my entire life which was worth the time and which couldn't have been replaced by an email. I don't remember when it was, but I'd hate to assert that there hasn't been even one good meeting. Surely, amongst the thousands, one was worthwhile. Generally, though, I find meetings to be an utter waste of time, and I've never (except maybe one time) seen anything good result from one.

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    1. Long-winded joke emails
    They are never funny, incredibly pointless, and have the sublime sophisticated wit of the rejected material from a failed comedian on the 1970's Working Men's Club circuit.

2. Hangovers
    The older I get the longer it seems for me to get over them. I spent 30 minutes this morning at work shirtless on the toilet praying to God.

3. The inventor of the mobile phone
    His/her product is singularly the most cancerous scourge of modern society.

4. I was going to put 'Apathy' for my final one, but decided that I just couldn't be bothered.

(On an obscure yet partially relevant note, Stephen Fry mentioned a few years back, as a guest on the program, that there should be an opposite to the concept of Room 101 where all the best things in the world would be put ... into which he suggested the iMac:cool::D )

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

1. Voice recognition phone answering systems. Aside from the fact that you apparently have to call from the vacuum of space so that there is no external noise, they never seem to interpret things correctly. ("I think you said 'My monkey did a transvestite act,' is this correct?" No, I said "my money didn't transfer quite yet.")

2. Conference calls. Speaking of phones, who the hell thought up the idea of using conference calls for anything productive? When I'm simply a participant and not leading the call, I spend most of my time surfing macrumors or reading e-mail. When I'm forced to lead a call, I know everyone else is surfing macrumors or reading e-mail. More time is spent answering "I'm sorry, what was the question again?" responses than getting anything productive accomplished.

3. Blue tooth headsets for cell phones. Sure, it's nice you don't have to have a wire hanging on your lapel to talk on the phone in the middle of dinner, but now it's a fashion accessory or something?

4. Election year commercials. And not the ones from the candidates - the ones where people decide it would be funny to play on the election in their commercials. It's bad enough I have to listen to the real ones, but now I have to listen to some mattress sales pitch around voting for the best night's sleep?

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

kinda off topic, but i heard about some radio show where they asked musicians what 1 record/cd/whatever they would take if they were stranded on a deserted island and some guy came on and said "my iPod." not sure if it's even true, or who or what show but i heard it from my theater arts teacher.
    anyway what i'd put in there is
    algebra. it is the scourge of all subjects. absolutely pointless, with no real-world application, designed expressly by angry teachers to torture students.
    windows. need i say more? edesignuk will say "yes" but i feel i don't.
    reality tv. tv is to escape reality, not to view other people's, plus it all sucks.
    room 101. just to see if it's possible to put something inside itself :confused: :confused:

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I know this isn't completely true-to-topic, but I would put the following in a room:

The Americans
    The Israelis
    The Arabs
    The Chinese

Why? Because they seem to be the ones who keep ****ing things up. So I'd put them in a room and force them to solve a cooperative puzzle to get out. Otherwise, they can all stay there.

I would also put the English and the French in there, but there are only four slots...

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Classic! :D

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There are three more that I would have maybe used instead above, but I wasn't sure how well they'd transfer to those not living in the States:

(1) AOL (America Online, which is AOL for some reason, not AO). Not just AOL itself, which just annoys me with their apparent belief that they can convince the unwashed masses that they somehow improve the Internet experience, but mainly with the ubiquitous AOL trial CDs, which, for a brief while, were actually useful because they came in cases I could store DVDs in once I threw away the AOL crap. And for some reason, what annoys me most is the fact that AOL cannot, for God only knows what reason, give people unlimited access for some time. Sure, every offer they allow more hours and more days. On the kit that arrived in the mail yesterday, I see that I could use AOL for 50 days free - but just 1099 hours. WTF?!? Why couldn't they just say "use it all you want for 50 days"? Why the 101 hour missing chunk? I mean, it would be virtually impossible to use it 24/7 for 50 days. I'm pretty sure no one hits day 46 and gets hit with the "I'm sorry, but your 1099 free hours have expired" message. I just don't get it.

(2) CD and DVD wrapping in stores. I buy a CD (which almost never happens anymore, it's too much of a hassle) or a DVD, then find that I need to spend way too much effort to open the damned thing. Yes, I know that people steal them. I also know that a thief with a thumb knife could gut a DVD case and remove the payload in 5 seconds. On the other hand, it's a struggle for me to do so without somehow tearing the plastic casing itself, which seems to bond at a molecular level with the security strips. And that's after I've removed the freaking shrink wrap. I suspect that not one single Cd/DVD theft has been averted.

(3) Toy wrapping. I remember back in the day when parents complained about having to assemble toys. Now, they don't get put together until day 2, after I rest up from the horrible agony of spending four hours removing a hundred twist ties, pieces of tape, plastic, and shrink wrap to get to the pieces of a four dollar toy.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Amen. I just received a package from Amazon today (1st season of '24' for us, 'Aladdin' for the kids). Same god awful wrapping. You'd think that if you ordered it and they delivered it to you, that somehow they could let up on the wrappers.

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Edit: Duplicate post. Should be more patient with these overloaded servers.

14. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

And here I thought this was going to be about what you fear most, a la Room 101 from 1984.

15. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

And here I thought this was going to be about what you fear most, a la Room 101 from 1984.

16. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

1. Any cell phone ring that is not a normal electronic ring. I can just imagine how annoying these new Blingtones Sprint is advertising will be.

2. People talking on cell phones for all to hear. WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN. Some schmuck was actually talking on his cell phone today in the crapper at work. I felt it my duty to flush the toilets a few times.

3. Speakerphone cell phones.

4. The Verizon, Can you hear me now guy?

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

1. George Bush
    2. Dick Cheney
    3. Donald Rumsfield
    4. John Ashcroft

Self explanatory. Lock the door, and throw away the key.

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

So, edesignuk, we're all waiting for your selection, since you started this whole thing... :D

19. iGav macrumors G3

Quality thread old chap! ;)

Okay then... in order, and in the great Room 101 tradition (i.e. may contain or hint to a few rude words and give em' a damn good slagging off) I give you my 4 things :D

Avril Lavigne -
    WTF is wrong with this no talent girl?? whenever she opens her mouth the ***** that just flows out about being 'punk' and 'hardcore' is f'in phenomenal.

When in reality she writes more ballads than Foreigner and REO Speedwagon combined! Except it would appear that she has major trouble with her spelling! FFS girl you don't spell 'Skater' with an '8' and 'Boy' doesn't have an 'i' in it... silly cow!

The WHOLE of Manchester -
    Like really... what is their preoccupation with being better than London? A day doesn't go past without me encountering a Manc who can't help but wax rhapsodic about their home town!! If it's so great... why don't they all f'in stay up there? You'll never be London... infact you'll never be Bognor Regis, suck it up and swallow it!!

Lexus -
    WTF are they all about? I can't fathom why anyone would want to buy one?
    How can you take all the qualities of a BMW, Mercedes and Audi and end up with a bleeding Lexus?

Lexus is the incestuous, genetic mutation, relative of the automotive world.

Anti-Capitalist Activists -
    They really don't see the irony in wearing a pair of Nike's whilst torching McDonalds do they.

So then Mr ed... what's yours??? :D

20. littlejim Guest

1. Apple - strange choice? Maybe ... but without Apple I'd be one HELL of a lot less in debt!

2. RAP Music - It really isn't very good is it?! Come on ... admit it.

3. Apathy - I've go so much I want to do, but it's so hard to get out of the house.

4. I can't be bothered to do number 4.

edit : Opps - just realised someone else put Apathy!!

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

Another one...

Yeah, I know I already put in my four, but another one came to mind here this morning

5) People who are habitually late. I am one of those people who always tries to be early, or at least on time. I think it's rude to constantly make people wait as if their time is not important. Of course, if I did that I'd have to get a divorce because my wife is one of those people. My favorite quote from her was while on the way to our wedding rehearsal dinner almost 9 years ago - "There are just some things you aren't late for!" Which, up to that point in our relationship, was apparently only the rehearsal dinner.

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Another one...

Yeah, I know I already put in seven above, but this makes it 8, which means two of my multiple personalities will have been represented.

• People who are habitually early or on time. Why? Because they are usually early or on time to meetings, which I consider to be the bane of the modern world. Also, anyone who isn't the last one there got there too early, and so to me the best time to arrive is second to last (so I don't get blamed for holding up things). Sometimes I get there a bit after that, but I suspect that, even if the meeting has started before my arrival, I've yet to miss anything. Getting to places early or on time has almost always resulted in me either doing more work or wishing I'd made that last MacRumors post.

;)

23. apple2991 macrumors 6502

1) Ann Coulter

2) Ashlee Simpson

3) People who tap or click their pens during class/tests

4) Economy cars (Honda Civics) that people "mod" into racing cars (A.K.A. no muffler)

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

1. Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Seriously, why should everyone in a six-block radius have to listen to you revving your motor while you ride around in circles to nowhere in your ugly leather chaps?

2. Japanese "ninja" style motorcycles. What, you think traffic rules are for everyone besides you? I've had it up to here with your riding between traffic lanes, passing on the right, passing on the left into the face of oncoming traffic, passing in no-passing zones. And don't even get me started with your color-coordinated purple leather suits, boots, helmets, and underwear.

3. Motocross bikes. Do you really have nothing better to do than shred up our precious wildlands, deserts, and beaches? And now you're all acting like you're some kind of "extreme" sport, sitting back on your whiny motorized machine while the real extreme sports like mountain biking and skateboarding have to muscle it out under their own power. Like you're some kind of "athlete." Really.

4. Oh, heck, let's just get rid of all the motorcycles. Who needs 'em?

25. emw macrumors G4

emw

Unless, of course, food is being served. Nothing worse than showing up just in time to catch than last 1/2 of an onion bagel.