The Root Cause of Mid-East Strife?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Feb 16, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What do you think is the root cause of Mid-East strife? Some people say it's the oppression of the Palestinians. Some people say it's the support of Israel by the United States.

I'm thinking that if the U.S. weren't so dependant on oil from the Mid-East, we wouldn't need to worry about keeping the Mid-East stable. We wouldn't have to arm Israel, they could arm themselves.

We wouldn't be making the hard core Muslims angry at us for walking on their land, because we wouldn't need to be over there in the first place.

Oil. . . . oil is the root cause of all this mess.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I would say that the root cause is thinking that there is one root cause.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What we have to remember is the Mideast has been waging war on its neighbors for centurys. The Root cause is Mideast Man. Issues come and go. Mideast man and his culture,religion and society is a disaster.

4. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah, it's too bad all the world's oil couldn't be in a nice mellow place like the Netherlands.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, everyone wants to distill it down to one, easily digestible sound byte that plays well in Peoria....

I've said it before and I think history bears it out, the unsupportably high birth rates in the ME are one of the biggest reasons that strife continues there.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Hitler.

think for a minute...

the Ottomans.

think for a minute...

waste of two minutes.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Goes back a lot further than that.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It was Abraham and his brother, wasn't it? and they got into a fight and one heard crazy voices and said "Aha! Let there be Jewish people" while the other heard equally crazy voices and said "Aha, let there be Muslim people". Thusly they fought. And, their followers fought.

...and all the fighting stems from these two brothers who couldn't get along.:eek:

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Are you aware of the scientific, medical, military, historical, and other knowledge that the "West" learned from the Islamic world. The Islamic world was far more advanced than the western for longer than it has been less advanced.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um no.

judaism is thousands of years "old"

islam is mere centuries

the ideals they share are of course "old", but the actual term islam is younger.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Damn. I still think my story sounds cool tho:p

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well, so far this thread is doing well to demonstrate at least one root cause, "ignurnce". ;) :p

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well the one thing I can tell you is that if you don't toe the "Israel is 100% right 100% of the time" line, you're not going to get a pleasant reception in this forum by some...

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It does come back to religion. Not Abraham, but Issac and Ishmael. Issac went on the become Jewish, Ishmael Muslim. The debate is who was the chosen son.

In the end, both have "claim" to the land, but the Israeli lobby is better than the Arab. But there are more Arabs than Jews (let alone Israelis).

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The biggest problem with humanity at large, which in this case certainly applies:

EGO

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah, that's who I meant!

18. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I would say the fall of the ottoman empire, the random carving up of the middle east after world war one into states, along with the US and british continually supporting dictators in the region in the name of stability so that the area can be more easily exploited for its resources. and the displacing of the palistinian people for the formation of israel combined with the long and hurtful memory of the crusading "christian" west

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd say overgrazing. Used to be the world's richest region and breadbasket.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and the opposite is true too.....if you don't toe the "Israel is 100% wrong 100% of the time" line, you're not going to get a pleasant reaction in this forum by some....:rolleyes:

and of course both the 100% right crowd and the 100% wrong crowd will hotly deny they take such a position

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, oil is the root cause for the reason anyone cares about the strife. Otherwise it'd be no different from Africa.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There is no single root cause, but one of them is since the countries were randomly divided up you have people that hate each other in the same countries, but they wont break up because they all want the oil.

23. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

God vs. Allah.:confused:

All I know is that Jerusalem will probably be the first city to go in world war 3.:cool:

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Nobody wants to hit Jerusalem. Tel Aviv, Damascus, Baghdad, Tehran, New Delhi, Islamabad, Pyongyang, and Seoul are all much higher on the list in my opinion. Of course, World War 3 could start in Venezuela for all we really know.