The Rugby World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by dobbin, Oct 3, 2003.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

So, the rugby world cup in Australia is only a week away now.

I think England have got their best chance ever of lifting the William Webb Ellis trophy this year, but the competition is very strong and Australia are likely to perform well on home soil.

AFAIK rugby is not hugely popular in the US, but I think the US team could get to the quarter finals if Scotland do not perform well in group B. I can't imagine they will threaten the 'big' teams though.

Any other thoughts or comments on RWC2003?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As long as England don't win I'll be happy. Now before you all start saying that this is a terrible thing to say can I just point out that as a Scotsman living in England this is a totally justifiable viewpoint. If England win the TV, Radio and everything else will be full of it for weeks. I would rather not have to put up with this so hope they don't win.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, Jonny Wilkinson is a god who will crush all before him...

...or pop his shoulder in the first game trying to kill a Georgian centre and be out of the whole thing:D

I like the look of the english squad, it has a balance and depth about it that bodes well for a hi-profile tournament, my only fear is a Wilkinson injury, as his cover is Paul Grason, and he's not in the same ballpark.

Lets see what happens in the SA game, that'll be a good indicator.

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'm glad it down here in Australia, since it hasn't started I can only say 'go you good thing!'

5. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I understand where you're coming from, but why don't you support all the 'home nations'? After all we're all from the same country aren't we? I will be supporting England, Scotland and Wales (unless we meet each other at some stage!)

It would be great for one of these teams to win rather than the southern hemisphere countries again.

If not a Briish team then my next choice would be Ireland and then France. Not the bloody Ozzies though please!

Anyway, its just kicked off and will provide welcome relief from the awful football stories that have dominated this week.

6. iGav macrumors G3

because the Scots and Welsh hate us.... :eek: :eek: :p and would rather the French, Ozzies, All Blacks beat us.... than have us win.... :p

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'd say the aussies are gonna win this one, its 14-3 and its just after half time against argentina.....go you good thing

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Justifiable my arse. Just bloody typical Scots attitude. Just because your team's hopeless you hate to see England do well. Even to the point of supporting ANYONE who plays England. Next time your lot looks like they're gonna do well in the curling you can forget about my support;)

9. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p :p :p :p

10. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

And now for a New Zealand perspective...

We'll win - end of story.

:cool:

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah caveman, go you good thing:D :D

Aussies made hard work of the Pumas, good to see the lock that got knocked out is OK.

England is still going to cream everyone else:p :p

12. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

OK - I'm putting £50 on an All Black vs. England final...

Doesn't mean you guys are gonna win by any means -

I'm still putting £100 on the All Blacks to turn you Brits upside-down by the ankles, pull your legs apart until they snap, and make a wish...

:D

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hmm England != GB!

Anyway congratulations on the destruction of Italy! I hope Scotland can manage the same tomorrow!

14. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

easy money. who they play in the final is anyone's guess, but it wont matter. kiwi's first. daylight second. Tana Umaga done a knee and could be out of the series. the only thing that will beat NZ is injuries.

15. iGav macrumors G3

personally I don't think it's that clear cut... England have the best team at the mo, after monstering all comers for the last year.... ;)

16. sparky76 macrumors regular

Good to see Ireland on the way, too.
    I do think England will win it, though, and it is fair to complain about that - we will have total media coverage of "how great England are" for weeks. Still, hard to blame them - grasping at the one game they invented and are still good at.

17. iGav macrumors G3

Ireland's my second team, what with being half Irish and all ;)

I hope England win it.... we certainly have the squad, but also it'd do our country some good.... we're crap at alot of things, so it'd be nice to win something big for a change, it's just a shame that so many other countries seem so down on us not to do well.... almost all of the time :(

If the aussies win though, you can be sure of one thing.... no other nationality party quite as hard.. not even the Irish.... ;) I'll be straight down the Oz bar in Covent Garden to join in.... :D :D :D

18. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Didn't you know?!?

We were just lulling you guys into a false sense of security!

;)

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i just saw a game last night... wasn't sure which one it was, but it was France Vs. Fiji. i had to laugh when i saw who was playing. :D that's just the most unlikely combination of sporting teams i could ever think of. :p

and what's with their clothes? they're all dressing like they're participating in Tour de France?:confused: since when was skin tight lycra part of rugby? seems a bit *strange* to me.

i'm not a big fan of rugby anyway.... so they can wear all the lycra they want.

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well, cb - I'm not a fan of the "SPANDEX" look either. I think it's daggy.

Whatever happened to the classy rugby jerseys of the past?!? Just because these teams have new kits, doesn't mean they can play any better.

But - like they say:

"You can polish a turd all you want - but it's still a turd..."

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow, were we (Scotland) lucky or what! The score really didn't reflect how badly we played.

So England next, and I support the best of luck to them!

With reference to the above comments on the skin tight shirts I'd have to say I agree. I can't imagine that the fans will like them. Without wanting to stereotype anyone your average rugby fan is probably not a slim well muscled man! I really don't think those shirts will look good with a massive beer gut.

22. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think England served notice to everyone against Georgia, a tough team who played well in defence but were outclassed. Even with half the first team substituted (7 in all) they still managed to rack up 12 tries.

Bring on South Africa, that'll be the real acid test.

Scotland were soooo lucky, and in the end their superior fitness saved them, but they played scrappy rugby and the Japanese team did themselves proud, they deserved the extra point at the very least.

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Can't disagree at all. I thought that the only weakness that England showed was a scary number of unforced handling errors. That could have simply been down to the conditions. I still think the All Blacks will win though. They managed to score 11 tries against Italy, probably a better side than Georgia.

24. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Italy better than Georgia? That'd be a close one to call...;)

There was talk of admitting an eastern European nation to the then 5 Nations championship, I believe Romania was mentioned, but Italy got the nod and are still the whipping boys.

The handling was poor at times, but the Georgian three-quarters were pushing the offside rule heavily, and were putting a lot of good pressure on in broken play, which was causing England to hurry, plus it was very wet and the ball was skidding around a lot. England should have been neater though.

25. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

England has no-one to test them - until they play South Africa. That'll be a war of attrition. The SA Rugby team are renowned for being cheating bastards in the heat of battle - And for HATING Jonny Wilkinson.

In fact, whilst they were in training, their crash-tackle bags had his picture and name all over them...

So, he's gonna be a marked man.

But - he's also a one-man rugby team in his own right. The man's a legend, so he should be able to fend off any nastiness. And, of course, any would-be attackers would also have to get through Martin Johnson... Heh, heh!

If only the All Blacks had a fly-half of that stature. Carlos has been performing like 4 kinds of $hite lately, and Mehrtens has been left out of the side. Still, there might be light at the end of the tunnel if John Mitchell can tap into one of NZ's ever-growing supply of rugby natural resources.

One option would be to put Daniel Carter in charge of the boot - he's got a great eye, and is a great runner of the ball.

I still can't see why Christian Cullen isn't in the squad - the best back in the business. Obviously, a personality clash with Mitchell.

Never mind - we'll still win - even WITHOUT Tana Umaga.

:D