The rumblings of a loud mouth malcontent

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpankyPenzaanz, Sep 7, 2006.

1. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Regarding this whole console gaming thing -

1.) The sony ps controllers have never fit comfortably in my hands. I always thought they were too small and after using them I would get callouses and cramps. The only controllers that have been comfortable have been the dreamcast controller and the original xbox controller(aka Fat Boy(bring it back microsoft not all of us have hands the size of prepubescent boy). So when I saw sony with the boomerang controller last year I at least gave them credit for trying something new.

2.) Final Fantasy - How many times can they force feed this crap to us. FF3 is also FF6. FF7 (which did suck) was repackaged with a few disney characters and gave us kingdom hearts1. FF10 same with kingdomhearts2. Now FF7(dirge of something). It only takes to the end of the first battle to figure out the entire story. And the endless cutscens that are prerendered that fool you into thinking the game looks that good(this goes to MGS also) screw the damn video I want to play.

3.) EA - well provide me a good game. NFL2k5 from sega still holds up better than madden in terms of gameplay. Back in the day Joe Montana footbal was better than madden. Your baskeball and hockey pales in comparison to the 2k series. (Baseball - well I just don't like baseball period). Medal of honor is horrible compared to brothers in arms and now they doing Medal of Honor aireborne. Your list of mediocrity is gargantuan. Activision's call of duty is only a hair better. battlefield2140 looks like a very good copy of GRAW but you still lack the tactical aspects.

In short yes I am trying to stir a hornet's nest.

What sony,ea,square and the like have done is tantamount to what windows has done in the personal computing industry - stifle creativity and produce the same thing over and over again and when another company inovates something claim it as your own aftre it has been implemented. It may seem hypocritcal but when you are able to separate windows from microsoft''s xbox division I think you will see thing differently. For me, I'll take a Wii and then I wait to get a 360 when the Master Chief comes in gunzablazin

2. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

another thing

hey molyneuax stop promising so much in your games

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you think that Kingdom Hearts 1 is at all related to or similar in gameplay in ANY way to Final Fantasy 7 you have a few screws loose in the head.

FF7 is turn based. Kingdom Hearts is like a more tactical version of Zelda, with actual swordfighting.

The stories aren't at all related- Cloud appears in basicly one cutscene, and is a hired mercenary and you fight him and he goes away. Sephiroth is a hidden boss. In fact, it is Leon from FF8 who is a major part of the story.

FF10 and Kingdom Hearts 2? Again, have you even played the games?

That's all. I just want to defend Kingdom Hearts, my favorite third-party game of all time.

EA, I agree with. Playstation controllers, well, I think they need to swap the D-pad and left analog stick. But it's the original XBox controller that I always had a hard time holding.

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Agreed. The Sega 2K games are the best sports games every created. The oldest one, NFL 2K, is still better than the newest Madden.

As for EA being a bad company, that's not true. EA Sports just isn't very good. I'm not sure why people have this conception that Madden is a good game.

Daniel.

5. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Amen again. The Dreamcast controller was pretty much perfect and the fat XBOX controller actually was completely perfect.

Daniel.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

EA Sports USED to be the ****, NHL 94 = best sports game ever. Lately though... they just keep repackaging the same damn games with the next year on the cover and some fancy new menus.

However, NHL 07 looks promising so I can't wait to give it a rent when it comes out next week....

And yes, hockey games matter most because...um...I'm Canadian :D

with regards to the controller thing, I think the 360 controller blows the XBOX one out of the water, those stupid white/black buttons were annoying and two shoulder buttons on each side (triggers or whatever) are much better than 1. That being said, I have always found with the 360 controller that my left hand can only use the trigger OR the bumper at once (like one finger uses them both) so it lets me basically have 3 shoulder buttons ready for those split second needs(1 on the left, 2 on the right) whereas on the PS1/2 controller, i can lay my pointer and middle finger on both hands on the R/L1/2 buttons AND use both sticks at once with my thumbs. So I like the PS controller but maybe its cuz I have smaller hands.

Hope that made a little sense lol its been a long day

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I cannot stand the PS controller. It was great on the PS1, back when 2D games existed on Sony systems. I mean... No analogue triggers? Dpad as main input? Whats with this cross-country variation on games... Why is O accept and X back when it's vice versa for every other game? 2 sets of shoulder buttons? It's uncomfortable as **** especially for long play.

I just don't understand how Sony systems have been regarded of having the best racers when there is no analogue shoulder button acceleration! How on earth can you have the immense level of control with analogue buttons as a poor, distant cousin alternative?

EA. Tripe. The only EA game I have ever vaguely enjoyed was Burnout 3 on the Xbox. But even that got old fast.

FF? I think there does seem to be some kind of over hyped feel to it. Sure, I'm just playing the old FF games and they are godlike, just playing through 7 and it is alright. But have any of you people played the latest games? It's feels like your all gritting your teeth and bearing it, hoping for another FF7 to come out some day. when chances are - it wont.

8. kineticpast macrumors member

I was actually reading about that the other day (no idea where!). In Japan the O button was always OK and X was always Cancel, the quite obvious thing to do. When the PS was brought to the US they switched this order. Why? I really don't know, seems quite illogical. I never had a Super Nintendo, was this just following the precedence started by its controller, was B the usual action button in American games?

Anyway, if you had a Playstation early then you'll know that pretty much every game followed that scheme, it wasn't until a couple of years later that certain Japanese games kept their original layout. I know I initially had a fair bit of trouble when I played my first game with the 'new' button order, Final Fantasy VII. The game was actually praised for the logical layout in reviews!

Soon other Japanese games kept their original setup; less work for them, especially for games with in game tutorials like RPGs. I presume Square may have got some complaints though as I think FFVIII reverted back to the American layout, of course the whole game seemed to be created with American audiences in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if more people complained about the VIII setup, since it has now changed back again!

Anyway, I'd say now every Western-made game would use the X action button layout and most Japanese games would use the inverse.

[edit]I just looked at a copy of the Super Mario World manual and B was indeed Accept, so I'd say the reasoning for PlayStation's US change was precedence. That said, the SNES layout seems backwards (and not only because the letters are in reverse order, that makes sense for the same reason Mac OS puts the OK button on the right). I wonder if the same thing I described about the PS controller originally happened on the SNES (or even the NES), that is, American games swapped Japan's action button. If that was the case I wonder what the reason was... was it because Westerners' hands are bigger and they found it easier to hit the furthest button on the small controllers? Still doesn't make sense as video games systems were basically kids toys here. I give up![/edit]

9. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I guess I did not get my intentions across in that they recycle their old characters when they should be coming up with new intelectual properties. And not only that but they recycle from games that were not especially great. I thought kingdom hearts would have been better had they dumped any links to any of their ff games. I don't want to stereotype (because that shows ignorance) but regarding to what the japanese rpg i classified as by gamers and press I feel they are not as engrossing and fun to play as what are calles rpgs from studios in the west. With square I have always felt that iwas just going through the motions. I think what bioware as done and is diong is great (my 2 cents on rpgs).

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

EA:
    They used to have awesome sports games. The Lakers vs Celtics & The NBA Playoffs basketball games which eventually became NBA Live were great. Madden was easily better than any football game. But in the last 5 or 6 years they have been getting progressively worse. I used to be a die-hard Madden fan....bought on launch day every year. The last 2 years I have hated the game....and haven't tried this years version on my 360. I think it is ridiculous that they got exclusive rights to the NFL and pushed 2k out the door when 2k Sports were only charging $30 for a better game. Since I had my Dreamcast I have been enjoying the 2k football/basketball games a lot more than the EA ones (except I still enjoy Tiger Woods PGA Tour).

PS Controllers:
    TERRIBLE....always have been. This and the load times are probably the main reasons I just have never really liked the PS1 or PS2. I did not like the Xbox controllers either but I do think they did a great job with the 360 controllers. However the Gamecube still has my favorite controller of all time. I have always liked Nintendo's and Sega's controllers.

11. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Hockey is my favorite sports game to play on the console...check out NHL2k7 next week. if you have xbox i think it is only $20 whilst the 360 version is $60

Which brings me to another point...why can 2k games be at $20 and ea charges $40-$60. And I am referring to xbox and ps2 not the 360 pricing as that is a fairly recent endeavor. even a few years ago when football was available 2k wowed everybody by making their game $20.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Xbox with that big crap controller....the first day I had my xbox I crushed that controller and bought a 3rd party one.

I never played a FF game because rpgs don't interest me at all.

PS controller was alright.

Bless

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sony style... load time. Disgusting. It's blatantly obvious people happy playing Sony machines are new to gaming. I was brought up in the golden age of loading (Spectrum and Amiga) and hated every minute of sitting, waiting when I should be playing. I copied all my Xbox games to an upgraded HDD just so I could get the minimal load times. GC loading was perfect. but PS1, PS2 and PSP... eeps. And with number crunching reveals that the PS3 will take longer to load than a 360, well I know where I won't be going for a long time.

God I hate loading.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

:confused: Right then....kicked yourself in the face didn't you.

Bless

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm yet to find a retro gamer who was happy with load times on the PS1/2. Sony Style load times are a throw back to the 90's. It's only been recently with ripping games to HDD that I've seen my circle of friends picking up PS2's.

16. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

HAHA actual sword fighting, lol. As opposed to the kind you do in a video game right? LMAH :D :D :p :)

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The game was a crossover. I found the concept quite cool :)

18. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

umm, most of us don't have massively over sized hands either.

there's a reason the xbox s, ps2, gc, x360, ps3 etc... controllers are all the size that they are. It's because each company pays a bunch of people to find out how what size their controller should be to be comfortable for most people.

as for the ps2/3 controller; it would be loads better if they would ****ing switch the d-pad and left analogue, as well as replace the little nubs with something a little more ergonomic to grip onto. :cool:

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, most people don't have catcher's mitts for hands like you and I. ;) I've never found the PS controllers to be all that comfortable either, even when doing quick demos.I thought the Dreamcast was pretty good, the XBox S controller isn't all that bad (though I think the 360 is better, I haven't tried one since the earliest demo units shipped. My local BestBuy replaced the wireless controllers with MadCatz :(), but somehow, the most comfortable controller I've used in a while is the GameCube, which is weird considering its size. I also think the Virtual Boy's controller is excellent as well. And once I saw how you were supposed to hold the boomerang, I thought it seemed like it would be much more comfortable than their current design.