the rumor mill...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sam10685, Mar 29, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

...is a bit too quiet 3 days before Apple's 30th birthday.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Nothing, my bet.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I was really hoping for a MacBook for Apple's 30th. Guess I'll have to keep waiting...

5. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I agree it's a little bit quite around here. I still keep my fingers crossed for some a new MacBook next Tuesday.

7. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

it's goin' to be interesting to see if it's the same kind of quietness heard before a violent storm.

8. ipod0324 macrumors newbie

April 1

Do you think that there is any way that Apple is having an event and somehow they have managed to keep it all a secret? What is the likelyhood of Apple just releasing a new iPod or Macbook on their website this Saturday?

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Low...

10. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

They may update the iPods to a higher capacity with just a web announcement. Beyond that, there will almost certainly be a special event.

Remember, they had a special event for iPod Hi-Fi and the Intel Mac mini... While both are nice, they aren't world changing like a "true" video iPod or redesigned iBook (MacBook) would be.

I think its unlikely Apple could keep a special event secret if its to the scale of the last one. Perhaps they'll send out a ton of invites the day before and see who shows up. Unlikely, but its really the only way it could be kept secret.

11. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

12. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

i highly doubt it but it would bbe the coolest thing ever!

13. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

that also sounds a tiny bit un-likely-- but it'd be way awesome if they did...

14. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

uhhh, the 25th anniversary came and went with nary a new announcement. why should 30 be any different? (the 25 is traditionally more celebrated.)

how about this for a shocking theory: Apple will release products when they're good and ready and not be bound by any artificial landmarks.

15. direzz macrumors 6502

16. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

The difference is that Steve Jobs spent a good couple of minutes of his MWSF keynote talking about the anniversary. Why bring it up if it will pass unnoticed?

17. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I agree - there must be something.

With Steve at the helm now for (albeit not a total) of thirty years, it could in fact be his last landmark...It may not be, but I'm not sure the co-founder of the company would let it's 30th slip by un-noticed.

18. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

because steve jobs made it pretty evident that something was goin' down on or near the 1st at the end of his MWSF speech.

19. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

No, there was nothing "evident" about what Steve said. Dudes, this has been discussed to death. He said, to paraphrase: "In case we don't see each other before then, happy happy anniversary!" Now, if you want to read into that, great, go crazy. For my money, I'd like to go by Apple's recent history: they'll do nothing special except for maybe a mention on the home page.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I doubt that will be the case, but we can always hope..... :)

21. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I was going to flex my photoshop skills and make a 30th Anniversary 30" MacBook Pro to see if I could get anyone convinced it was real...but I never got around to it...

22. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I really don't see why iBooks would be renamed to MacBooks.

The PowerBook did have to be renamed to disassociate itself from the PowerPC chip, hence MacBook Pro - I'm guessing "Pro" was added, because "MacBook" by itself sounds like a weaker product than "PowerBook," hence "MacBook Pro."

However ... the "i" is still a very active part of Apple branding, and continues with the iPod, iTunes, iMac, iLife, iWork, iChat, etc., etc. It doesn't make sense to drop the iBook name.

With that said, I'm wondering if the Intel iBooks will be released in the next two weeks ......

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hmm, I think that there would be a better chance of fooling someone into believing that Apple was going to release a PowerBook G5 than a 30" MacBook Pro. But then again, you never know who you just might be able to fool... ;) :)

24. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Steve Jobs has said that he wants better brand recognition by putting "Mac" in all of the Mac names... meaning "MacBook" would be most likely the name for the Intel iBook. Though I'm not sure why he wants to disassociate Macs with "Power," as there were PowerBooks and (I believe?) PowerMacs before Apple started using PowerPC processors.

Didn't Apple send out invitations to the press, or am I just making up things? It's 11:20 and I'm tired...

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Two things:

1) The name PowerBook has little to do with the type of processor that it has inside- the original PowerBooks did not use a PowerPC processor, they used a 16MHz Motorola 68000.

2) Steve Jobs has stated that he wants the word "Mac" in the name of all Apple computers, so "i"Book will probably become "Mac"Book. But time will tell.

P.S.- and yes, hopefully new iBooks/MacBooks are released shortly. :)

***EDIT*** Beat to the punch bythegreatluke- sorry! :eek: