The saga continues....

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Jul 26, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Saw the neurosurgeon today.

His first words were "I'm surprised you are able to walk, urinate or move your bowels."

:eek:

Surgery in four weeks.

Blah.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thanks for the update iGary. I'm surprised that the surgeon is going to wait four weeks, after his/her comment. Certainly gives me cause for concern, I just am aware of too much. What directions has he given you to follow?

Your case seems to be one of those where continuing to move has been helpful.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I told him I could not stop work on this contract I just landed or my clients would dump me. I can't be out for the three-week recovery time right now. We have a break in the project in about a month, so until then I am going in for bi-weekly nerve root blocks.

Hopefully holding off for 6 weeks so I can lose some weight, which will make recovery time speedier. His one condition was if I experienced any leg weakness that they have to go in. So far leg pain, yes, weakness, no.

He works out of Johns Hopkins, so I'm pretty confident, yet scared shiteless at the same time.

Thanks for the thoughts, WD

4. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Johns Hopkins has been the best-rated hospital in the nation for years in quality care and overall performance. I'm glad you're getting the best of care and I wish you well! Mental stamina is often the greatest strength when it comes to long-term recovery, and I can attest to its success. Don't let this saga fade, please keep us posted.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry for being a longtime member and regular, and yet always feeling out of the loop, but what exactly is wrong?

And I'd say your neurosurgery is more important than your clients, unless you really can't afford to because of other obligations (ie: family, new Mac purchase, etc).

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

iGary, please know you'll be in our thoughts and prayers. It seems like only a few weeks back we were talking marathon training and events. Has this been an on-going condition?
    X

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i feel out of the loop too, but whatever the problem iGary i wish you the best and a speedily and safe recovery, get better soon!

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Have you gotten sterois injections in your spine yet? They usually provide temporary relief.

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

iGary has been having some back trouble as of late.

I'm not a fan of people putting off surgery, but I guess I understand your reasons, iGary. Be a good a patient and don't ignore the leg weakness symptom if it happens. Hope that after you do have the surgery that you'll recover quickly and feel better as a result.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

iGary, Hopkins is a great hospital with some of the best doctors in the world. Sounds like your in good hands.
    I hope you will be able to hold off until your work lull. I know you stretched yourself a bit to purchase that sweet Mac set-up just for this project. Just don't forget that your health is more important than keeping a client, no matter how lucrative their business is. Watch for the signals from your body, and don't take any risks.
    Keep us informed on how you are doing. We're thinking of you.

11. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Thanks guys - I go in for my first selective nerve root block on Monday. Looking forward to some relief. I'm not in severe pain today, and got a full night's sleep last night, so I'm a bit more pleasant to be around today.

Just started watching what I eat, drinking lots of water and walking today in an effort to lose some weight.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Oh, for those who asked, I blew out a disc at L5-S1 and there are fragments of it all over the place. They need to go in and get them out.

Scared.

The Mac setup was paid for by my retainer so that's no biggy, it's the regular pay I'm worried about - you know, things like mortgage, car payment. Everything will be fine, but thanks for the positive vibes! :D

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I talked with my clients today, and they are dealing with the idea of me being out for a bit quite nicely. That's a tone of weight off - and I got my old employer to give me COBRA so I can have the insurance company pay the 15,000 to have it done.

15 grand - sick isn't it?

13. jim. macrumors 6502

Good to hear that insurance should pick it up, iGary. I hope they actually come through. My wife and I just got through seven months of getting her insurance to pick up the cost of her insulin pump, which is 1/3 the price of your surgery (and supposedly completely covered under her plan). Gotta love our country of HMO's.

I hope all goes well for you.

Jim

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....that's good news and a relief I am sure - the last thing you want to add to your worries at this time is the work/financial stuff. It sounds however that your clients are good people and are willing to stick with you - that's a good testament to the quality of work you must do....good luck there with the surgery.....oh yeah!

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Best of luck with it all iGary.

Remember, the G5 babysitting offer still stands. :p

16. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Gosh man, I hope you feel better. Back pains really hurt and the thought of surgery, especially on your back can be a little scary.

I went to Jons Hopkins to become a doctor and it is an excellent. You should have the famous neurosurgeon Ben Carson work on you, he works at Jons Hopkins Hospital. Its not just that he is very good at his work and has done risky procedures (i.e. separating baby twins conjoined at the head- very hard to do), his life story is pretty amazing too (google him if you don't know about him).

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet.

Surgery is scheduled for 8/24/05 and I am actually looking forward to it.

Last night was the last straw. I've been sleeping on the couch because I can plat my back up against it, and all of my rolling around all night means my partner gets no sleep. I woke up at 3 with my leg just throbbing, took a 10.100 Vicodin, and went back to sleep. An hour later I was in pain again, so I took another.

I never got back to sleep. That's 20mg of hydrocodone - and it didn't touch it. I finally decided that it just isn't worth putting off anymore. I called the neurosurgeon, scheduled the surgery and told him I better be able to walk, pee, and get an erection after the surgery, or I'd kill him. He laughed, I laughed. Good stuff. :D

Thanks as always for listening!