The Sandwich thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MOFS, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Ok people - here's my dilemma.

Basically I'm a student one, and a lazy one at that (at least when it comes to food). But I am normally at university for my lunchbreak, which means I always need to have some kinda food with me. I'm skint, so I can't afford to buy sandwiches from shops (a sandwich costs normally at least as much as 2 loaves of bread!), and I'm trying to eat healthily, which is why I started this thread in the first place - basically because cheese is now a no-no for me (though cottage cheese is OK).

So, your missions (should you choose to accept it) is to tell me about a sandwich which you like that you think I could make daily to take into uni! Oh - it has to be cold - no microwaves available. But you can also list your favourite sandwiches EVER! So mine is saucisson (garlic sausage) with brie inside a baguette. Which I can't eat 'cause its exceedingly unhealthy... :(

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Avocado, tomato & bacon on grain/wholemeal. Mmm...

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The Elvis: (problem, you need to keep it cool for the mayo)

It sounds awful, but is yummy!

Peanut Butter
    Banana slices
    Mayo

:eek: Ya I know!
    but it is good! :p

edit: BV's sounds better, but don't discount "THE ELVIS"

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Crayfish and avocado with rocket on granary is my favourite. Or roasted chorizo with rocket on Italian crusty when available.

Suggestions for other fillings that are cheap/healthy

Create a larder of 'interesting' additions so you can give fillings different flavours - olives, sweetfire peppers, gherkins, chutneys, relish, mustard. Have a bag of rocket/baby spinach to add a handful of greenery and liven things up a little.

Tuna (can be mixed with olives/peppers/dressings/mayo/sweetcorn) to create different flavours)
    Chicken with peppers/chillis/salsa
    Pastrami
    Ham with good mustard

5. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Coned beef and Picalilly or Branston pickle & Cheese and onion crisps in the middle... hmmmm :)

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

tomato, basil, fresh motzerella, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red oinions on good loaf of bread.

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Cheese and mayo, prefereably on 12 grain bread. American cheese, or colby-jack is good.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I second this one, although I'm not too sure you need the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, or red onions, although they certainly wouldn't hurt.

9. iGav macrumors G3

a plain and simple banana sandwhich, on Allinsons 'wi' nowt taken out' wholemeal bread ;)

"He said...
    Will you make brown?
    I'd said who?
    He said you
    I said me
    He said yes
    I said nooooo...

He said...
    Will you make brown?
    I'd said who?
    He said you
    I said me
    He said yes
    I said... ohhhhhhh."

:D

10. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

wrap it up!!!! i like a wrap instead of a sandwich. it is nice a portable. you just take your favorite sadwich insides, like turkey, ham, cheese, lettuce, pickles, and well i like EVERYTHING on my sandwiches. then just wrap it all up in a nice tortilla. you can stick it in your bag and if it gets smashed around you will hardly notice!!!

11. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Bologna and cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding

I like a good turkey or ham or roast beef or all w/cheese (pepper jack) on toasted whole wheat.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Swap the mayo for honey and you have my favourite sandwich!! :)

13. joetronic macrumors 6502

here's my usual.

12 Grain bread; soy mayo; tomato; lettuce; salt & peper, and thin slices of pan-fried firm tofu (breading on tofu is, flour, Old Bay seasoning, and little chilli powder)

Sounds kinda yuck, but the tofu ends up tasting like chicken.

Or:

12 grain bread; grilled portabella mushroom (cooked like a burger); and some mixed salad greens tossed with a vinigrette o some sort, I like some sort of raspberry.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I do not have a favorite healthy sandwich, although I'll eat almost any of them.

My favorite non-healthy sandwich is the "Big Pork Tenderloin" from my high school caf. Literally 21 years since I've had one, I can still taste it and feel the texture. Yum.

Pork tenderloin, pounded flat (maybe 3/16") and wide (6"-8"), breaded, fried, served with pickle slices and mustard on a nice bun. Nothing better exists.

15. MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

Hmmm, unusual choice, wrapping a famous Italian city up in a sandwich and sprinkling some cheese on it. :D just kiddin'

Btw whats pepper jack cheese?

The rest of the sandwiches sound interesting tho'. I'll give BVs a go - never tried avocado before, so it might just work. Not sure the peanut butter, banana slices and honey one would fit into my diet... ;)

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

17. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Fried balogna

Oh wait, this is suppose to be healthy?

gwuMACaddict, your sandwich is making my mouth water like crazy. If I had tomatoes and mozzarella at home I'd have it for lunch.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haha... i eat them all the time... so delicious... i don't always use the red onions... somtimes a little pepper.

it's not always easy to find good bread though... i guess thats a different topic for a different thread, eh? in DC, firehook and dean and delluca can usually be counted on though. WholeFoods as well.

19. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Okay, here we go. These two sandwiches my grandfather used to make for me as a kid. They're weird as all get-out, but I think they're pretty good! I haven't had them in years though:

1) Cream cheese and green olive sandwich: Cream cheese and sliced green olives (with pimentos) on white bread.

2) Raisin, peanut butter and mayonaise sandwhich on white bread. Lettuce optional (I leave it off).

And for the Red Dwarf palate:

The Triple Fried Egg Chili Chutney Sandwich (I'm going to try one of these someday, I swear!): Fry three eggs hard (break yolks), put on white bread with chili sauce and chutney. Eat before it disolves the bread. :p

20. joetronic macrumors 6502

I used to go there alot when I lived in DC for a while. Is it still there? there used to be a good place on Florida Ave that had good bread as well, but can't remember the name.

21. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is rocket?

22. joetronic macrumors 6502

I think its a type of green. I'm not sure though. You'd think with two years of Culinary school I should know, lol :p

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

there are three WholeFoods in the district that i can think of... wisconson ave in gtown, wisconson ave in tenleytown, and 14th and p-ish over by u. st.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Make sure you get an avocado thats slightly soft at its bottom end... oo-er, missus. :)

Some of them are rock-hard straight from the shop and take ages to ripen.