The scammers on ebay don't even try

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by csubear, Nov 1, 2003.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

2. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

a guy on another thread had a 15" PB picture with a Rev. A 12" PB description. :rolleyes: They're either getting stupider, or think we are.

4. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

the 2nd item is taken away, good. i reported the 1st, it looked that rude. what do they think we are, dell users? :rolleyes:

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

These are not bad at all compared to some others that have been posted before.

Does anyone remember the ones that had 3d modeled versions of computers that have never even existed? There was one that had a prototype that someone had made in lightwave or something that was an orb. The "sellers" jsut took pictures at random from sites like apple mock-ups.

6. Physiognome macrumors member

Hmm, I just noticed what you get if you spell "scam" backwards. :/

7. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

some are crafty though

Before i caught on to the westrn union scams on ebay, I almost bought a powerbook on there. The guy even sent an email from "ups.com" asking for a western union account number. Had the offical graphics and everything. good thing i called UPS to see if they did that kind of thing, and of course they told me they don't. if anybody is considering a big purchase on eBay, UPS had a COD option and its only $7.00 more (no matter what the amount). If somebody won't work with you on secure payment forms, I'd stear clear . . . and Keep in mind, a 17" PB wiht a buy-it-now of $1700 seems a little too good to be true, doesn't it?

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah my favorite are the ones with faked or "prototype" pictures, like the G4 sphere or the fake G5 tower... they've both made their way onto various rumor sites long before being made a scam. in the most recent case, someone actually put these two pics together, i don't know if they were implying that you got the sphere or the tower (both nonexistant)... i wrote a cheerful letter to the accountholder, saying that a quick look at apple.com/g5 would set him/her straight. she replied "go look at apple.com and then tell me what you see". wtf?!

i think perhaps some home somewhere is letting alzheimers patients use ebay...

pnw

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

My personal favorites are the ones with the impossible specs - specifically parts from companies who'd never work together - let alone co-brand.

My favorite? The Pentium 4 Athlon Notebook preloaded with OS X.