The scandal of Diego Garcia. US/UK collusion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Oct 10, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

I'm looking forward to seeing more on this.

Looks like there may be some major court cases ahead.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is long overdue.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow.

i'd always wondered how the US got a base there, but lazy me kept it low on the priority list for looking it up.

figuring out how a japanese man became president of peru is an example of something higher on the priority list. (that one's checked off)

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Same way as the US got bases in the Caribbean. Courtesy of a shabby, secret deal with the British government.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Don't forget what we did to Bikini, which would have been the coolest vacation destination.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yup, you certainly exacted a toll from Bikini.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'd hate to see what kind of holes we'd put in the Thong islands.

8. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like the court case already happened.

9. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Found this guys website, he was a member of the US military who was stationed there (in the middle of nowhere).

The Provisional Peoples' Democratic Republic of Diego Garcia

Judging by these quotes the people on the base knew of the history and even felt a little sorry for them.

But lets face it, defending the US and the US way of life (ie taking others), is far more important than truth or justice. Typical arrogance. Who will save the rest of the world from the US?

Showing typical US military sensitivities to non-whites.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Nah, it was the french, they did away with the top altogether.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

But it's perfectly ok for the US to have destroyed the Everglades, polluted the heck out of the Gulf of Mexico and plan to destroy ANWR and all the other beautiful areas of this country. Oh and what about Vieques Island? We sure did a number on that place!

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I do not want to diminish the seriousness of the incidents described, but I take some issue with the impliance of the US being exceptional in this regard.

Britain, France, Spain and pretty much every colonial/imperial power in existence has employed such unsavory methods for a variety of self-serving goals (security, wealth, power).

This type of behavior is indicative of the above power structures, and has very little to do with the character of individual Nations.

That said, it is saddening (yet not surprising) that we were not able to acknowledge and recompense the victims of stratego.

If only our wisdom grew at the same pace as our technology...

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ouch.

14. Zaid macrumors 6502

I don't think that anyone is infering that the US is in any way exceptional in this regard. People are talking about the US and the UK here because they are the powers involved in this issue. I think what a lot of people were pointing to was the colonial and almost racist attitude of those (ex-)soldiers/contractors on that DG website.

Pointing at other people and saying that they're also guilty doesn't make one any less guilty.

The fact that this the Chagosians are still being denied a return to the island even after wining their case in the British High Court is disgraceful. The fact that the Blair government invoked the Royal perogative (a very rarely done thing) to ban the islanders from returning is disgraceful. The fact that the UK is treating its own citizens in this way so that the US can keep its base is disgraceful. The fact that all this happend in the last 50 years is disgraceful.

Interestingly when John Pilger interviewed a juniour UK cabinet minister, he said that the British taxpayer shouldn't be expected to bear the £5m resettlement costs for so few people. Now thats rich.How much did the Falkland war cost the British taxpayer, for about the same number of people.

I hope they win their case at the European Court.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Glad somebody got it... ;)