The "School Just Started" Thread!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacFan26, Aug 25, 2004.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Fall semester started this Monday and I'm back in the swing of a stressing school schedule. I moved into my new apartment on Saturday and I'm so loving my airport express!! :D But now that I'm studying so much I don't have as much free time to spend on MacRumors, which makes me sad! Anyone else out there feeling my pain?
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Class almost starts for me. I go back (for the first time) in August. (Too early for me.) August 30th, specifically.

These last few days, I've been organizing my room and my computer desk area, because I think I'll be in for a pretty big homework heap this semester. It'll be 16 credits worth, and my (expected) hardest class, Introduction to Literature, will be this Monday. Here is a PDF of my schedule. It's high resolution, so zoom in a bit.

Plus, I made custom made cover art for each notebook. One inch special rounding ring binders do the trick for me. All right, it's not really art, but each cover has 5 sections of text with information on it as to where I have each class, and the CRN number. Also, I have one notebook for each subject. Oh, and I made little labels for the edge of each binder. They look killer standing up side by side on the shelf to the side of (and slightly above) my computer monitor, ordered by color.

Basically, I've been organizing my room and getting seriously in the mood for this semester...feeling like I need a challenge. Also, another reason I'm not doing just the 12 is so I am not so bored to death as I was with 12 credits last semester. I almost always find time for the forums....anyone ever took 16 credits worth in a single semester? If so, what's your take on it versus 12 credits?
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I'm heading up to my apartment Friday morning. I still have so much to do before I leave, especially packing! At least my PowerBook will be easy to take care of. :D

It's my second year of classes I'll admit I'm more than a little nervous about living off campus, and having to cook and do everything like that. I have a roommate that I met last school year to cut down on rent. I can't wait to get out there and show off my new Airport Express!
  4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Haha n00bs :D

I don't start again til late September... gotta love the UC system!

Sadly however this will be my last year coming up... gotta find a job soon :(
  5. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    yep school just started for me as well. so far my classes are looking like my community college classes i took last year, which is a good thing. classes look like they will be easy as long as i attend class, pay attention and study before the tests. i still have 2 classes i haven't been to yet. hopefully they will good as well. my coworkers tell me to enjoy this so called "not to difficult" year as i call it, cause it just gets that much harder.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    yeah i started this week too, but this is my last year of work towards a BA so im pretty happy and finally i get to drop my class load from 15 down to 12 credits a semester!!

oh and King Cobra, if you need some help with that lit class let me know, im an english major so im used to dealing with 5 Lit classes at a time and am more than willing to help anyone with what i can :)

now time for that pesky homework and writing....
  7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    Same here, as far as the starting date. Are you guys on quarters? We are. Right now, I'm back up at school working for my professor, but classes don't actually start for around a month. Freshmen don't get here for around 3 weeks.
  8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    To PlaceofDis: English courses are one of my weak spots, but not my weakest. So that's why I have already emailed one of my H.S. English teachers, who said she would be willing to help. Though if I need your help for the subject, as well, I'll PM you.
  9. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    I'm taking 15 this semester, but I took 16 last semester. Around here it seems like 15/16 is the norm, although there's still people taking less or more. One of my friends has 19! I suppose part of it depends on what type of classes they are and if you're working or have other activities like sports or music, etc.
  10. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I feel your pain, alright. ;)

Today was my first day of Junior year at High School, which means I'm just settling in for an entire year of stressing about college, the PSAT, the ACT, the old SAT, the new SAT, my Junior Theme paper, and an AP American Exam in May.
    Ain't it great to be back? :rolleyes:
  11. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i can honestly say i hardly stressed over high school. i tried but barely put in any extra work, you could say did enough to get by. on the other hand i wasn't aiming for any scholarships and i knew i was good enough to get into the college i wanted to go to (take anyone with decent grades, but more importantly waving a check). i took classes at the community college during my senior year and took those more seriously and it showed. have fun though, junior year was ok, but nothing beat my good ol' senior year.

12. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I start Monday. I will probably spend some time this weekend cleaning out my office so I have some work room. I will probably also reformat my pc, because it seems to be a little squirrely :rolleyes: I am taking some killer classes this semester. I am taking classes 3 and 4 in the Cisco network stuff. I barely passed the first two, so I'm kind of nervous about these two.
  13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I've been in school since August 3rd (high school) :( To make matters worse, it starts at 7am :(
  14. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Everybody is going off to their schools this weekend.. leaving me alone until I go to florida in October. My gamecube is going to get a hell of a workout.
  15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    I don't start until September 7th. So, I don't feel your pain, yet ;)
  16. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    School doesn't start for another week here in WI, but I'm ready....

AP History and AP Calc 1 and 2, are gonna be killer... oh well, it will pay off later, in free credits ;)

btw, the tests (ACT, SAT, PSAT) aren't all that hard. Don't stress about them....I got a 26 last year on the ACT, shooting for at least 30 though....
  17. nizz macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2004
    north philly
  18. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004

i start my senior year of high school on sep 9.. so still a lil wayz off... i gotta retake that stupid chem class... gonna be funny seeing a lot of familiar faces...... o well at least i will only have 5 classes first sem, and 4 second.. is senior year relly all what it is hyped up to be? or do u have to make it something on ur own? :rolleyes:
  19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    wow you start early i start classes sept 2 and i know wesconsin madison starts that day to... so jealous of my bro, they have there own apple store on campus!
    Senior year was a waste of time. I literally did nothing all year. since my school is mac friendly, and i had airports in almost every classroom, and equiped with my ibook i talked on aim and surfed the web :p
  20. el greenerino macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    I haven't read a single post because my eyes are watery with tears :,-(
  21. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003

Well I am starting back at Drexel University in late September to get my second Master's degree. I am only taking 2 classes per term (4 terms/year). But, when you include my 50 hour work week and the 25k-50k miles of travel per year, it'll be difficult. At least I am not paying for it thanks to my employer. Luckily, Drexel has this cool perk for returning students. Since I already have one MS from that university, they allow me to transfer 15 credits from my first degree into my second degree. This means that I only have to take the 12 core classes. So, I should be graduating in June of 2006. Not too bad when you think about it. I will be 30 years old with a BS in Computer Science, an MS in Information Systems, and an MS in Engineering Management and 8 years of post-graduate experience.

Yes, I am an overachiever (geek).

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    School doesn't start here for a week and half (after laborious day)

It means 2 things.

1) more traffic getting to work.
    2) having to get my son out of bed in the morning. He's 16 and its like pulling teeth
  23. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2003
    The exurbs, MN
    I've taken 22 credits 2 semesters ago. 20 the semester before that, and 20 again this semester. It seems that the number of credits in the classes I take is not very indicative of the workload I should anticipate. This semester, I do anticipate more homework than in the past, but still should have no problem.

Oh, and school starts next Thursday for me (Sept. 2) up at UW (that's Wisconsin) Stout. :D
  24. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

Jul 28, 2003
    I am headed to the University of Denver for my second year as a digital media studies major. This time I am armed with a G5!

We don't start school until the 13th of sept, but the rest of the CO school started this past monday. I can't wait to get back, although I know the homework is going to kill.
  25. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2004
    The Alpha Quadrant
    My iBook and I are ready to start school on Monday. It's my soph year in college, and I'll be starting at a new school, having studied at a community college last year. I'm psyched.