The search for the best MOUSE in the world

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hugoreynolds, Oct 7, 2006.

1. hugoreynolds macrumors member

I need advise on getting the best mouse for a mac, so far ive tried out the mighty mouse wireless which i took back cos it just didnt perform as well as it looks. then tried the razer pro 1.6 which was way too sensitive. then onto the wacom tablet graphire with bundled mouse. mouse was very nice but could not get the hang of the pen, took back cos $100 just for using a mouse is silly. so.....im now mouseless and looing for something that performs well on any surface (ideally a bedsheet, im very lazy) and is at a reasonable price cos if i take anything else back to the store they wont be happy....

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

You could try the Radtech BT600. This will probably be the next mouse i get because it charges over USB. This is a good thing cause it means not having to carry around a base station and you can still use the mouse while it charges.

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I have had a razer pro1.6 for about 24 hours and easily the best I have evr had in every aspect

4. riciad macrumors 6502

There's no BEST mouse in the world as operating one is a very subjective experience.

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I prefer Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 5-button mouse. Very comfortable, lightweight and the scroll wheel is nearly frictionless which puts little stress on my f finger.

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

^^^Gah, we have a microsoft spy/traitor in our midst.
    It's mutiny on the bounty, off with zee head!

7. frankm007 macrumors regular

How's the Radtech BT600 compare to Logitech's MX 1000 laser? I love that mouse but I hate having a base...

8. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

9. jwkay macrumors member

jwkay

The Razer Pro is worth persevering with. I know how sensitive it first seemed after changing from the standard Apple Pro Mouse (wired). However, I stuck with it and gradually could increase the tracking speed more and more. It took a few weeks, but I don't regret it. Going back to the standard Apple mouse now feels so slow and clunky.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I second the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse.

I'm used to the Wireless Mighty Mouse now and I don't mind it, but for control, action and price you can't beat the Intellimouse Explorer. The movement vector is not as extreme as some Logitechs can be but it's better than the Apples.

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

I don't know about wireless mice, but the Logitech MX510 is a great mice in my own experience.

The Intellimouse probably a close 2nd.

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I totally second this! I love my white with blue light pet! :D

13. JDN macrumors 6502a

The Razor Pro is an amazing mouse, but its wired. As for BT mice, that RadTech BT600 looks like the best on the market at the moment. If Razor were to release a BT mouse, im sure it would wipe the floor with all the competition.

14. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I'm suprised that noone has mentioned the Logitech MX revolution - definitely a desktop mouse, but very comfortable, good quality and the innovative scroll wheel is actually useful. With our hideous markups here in the UK, I paid the equivilent of $140, and I still think that it is worth every penny.

David

15. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I had this mouse for all of two days. I was VERY unimpressed. First of all, it is NOT a full size mouse. It is a hybrid between the tiny laptop mice and a normal size mouse. I have average size hands and it was way to small for me. Second, it has an on/off button on top of the mouse. No big deal. BUT it is not flush with the mouse. The top of the mouse is curved but the button is flat making it look like it was just thrown in at the last minute. Maybe not a big deal but this is a $60 mouse. It should look like one. Third, the rubberized finish may look nice (to some) but it attracts dirt very quickly. I clean my hands obsessively but this mouse was still showing signs of being a dirt magnent after a day of use. Forth, the designs/pattern in the mouse looks silly, IMHO. Fifth, I don't like excessive LED lights in my mice. Finally, bluetooth was very unresponsive. I found it impossible to use in Photoshop when precision is required.

My ideal mouse is:
    a) Wired. Wireless mice are too much of a hassle.
    b) White. I would like it to match my Apple keyboard, iMac, etc.
    c) Has Scroll Wheel. A scroll "ball" does not qualify.
    d) Has no unnessecary LED's. This disqualifies the Razer for me.

I searched high and low and sent back who knows how many mice. Funny thing is, I settled on a $10 MS mouse. The MS Wheel Mouse Optical. It is wired, white, and has a scroll wheel and no unnessecary LED's at least after a slight modification. The mouse had a super long black cable that I didn't like and a red LED taillight that never turned off. The both turned me off. So, I opened the mouse, removed the rear LED (I obviously left the main LED that powers the optical part of the mouse), and replaced the long black cord with the short white cord of an old Apple Pro Mouse.

Yes, I am that obsessive about my mice.

The MX510 is my second choice. Great classic mouse with a few more buttons that the MS Optical Scroll.

16. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Well right now im actually liking the Mighty mouse that came with my new iMac, but when it inevitably (apparently) fails, I will probably just use my old standby Logitech MX 300, hasn't given me a problem yet.

17. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

18. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Macally iLaser

The Macally iLaser 5 Button Laser Mouse is what I use.its white black and grey and has 5 buttons, as the title suggests,laser precision which i have noticed a lot, upgrading from the wired mighty mouse, its wired and ONLY costs just over $21 here

-jake

19. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'm a big fan of my Logitech Mediaplay mouse. It's more comfortable in my hand than just about any other mouse I've ever had, tracks well, and it works well on many surfaces, including bedsheets :) . Using Steermouse, I was able to configure all 13 of its buttons and the tilting wheel to do exactly what I wanted in different apps. For example: the media button launches Front Row on my iBook, and I use the tilting scroll wheel, the scroll wheel's button, the play button, and the media button to replace all of the buttons on Apple's remote, granting me the full Front Row experience on an older Mac. Having dedicated volume buttons on the mouse is important, because I'm still using an old Macally iKey (basically a USB version of Apple Extended keyboard, it has no sound controls).

This is a great everyday mouse, but I still don't think that any one mouse is "perfect." I wouldn't want to use my Mediaplay mouse in a good game of F.E.A.R., but I also wouldn't want to use a Razer all the time. I think the number one factor you have to look at if you're going to use the same mouse all the time is ergonomics. Before you pick your perfect mouse, make sure it won't kill your wrist to use it.

20. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

What does the receiver look like?

21. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

its wired

22. peas macrumors member

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im a little surprised at all this anti wireless talk, we just got a new mighty mouse wireless and we like it. In fact my wife wants it from me or wants to get another.

24. colinet macrumors 6502

Can I refine the question?

What is the best LEFT-HANDED mouse in the world?

I've got an Apple (pre-mighty) wireless for my Macbook which is OK for that, but I want a good combination (with keyboard) for my Dual G5.

I've got a MS wireless setup and the keyboard misses keystrokes all the time. It's not as if I'm a particularly fast typist either and if I had the receiver any nearer it wouldn't be wireless!

I like the look of these new Logitech mice BUT Logitech are TOTALLY anti left-handed - though I do like my Nulooq.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I like the Logitechs because of the software. The M$ mice are ok, but I seem to wear out the wheel too quickly. I had a Kensington, but had issues with the software and the wheel was either too fast or too slow no matter what I tried to do.