The server is too busy...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ohcrap, Sep 7, 2005.

1. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Any info on why or is it just too many users on at once?

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

3. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

I too am getting the same sporadically. It has been happening since last night. I thougt originally it was an attack. Not sure now.

4. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

It never said this thread went through, I tried like 30 times so I'm glad it only went through once! :D

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This happens every time Apple announces new hardware - right now there are something like 2000 people on this site, so naturally things will be sluggish.

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What LB said.. always happens when new hardware or megarumors come out.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I hadn't even checked that. Now it's at 2573...about 80 from the all time record :eek:

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's gone down to ~2200 - damn, so close!

Maybe when the Intel Macs come out we'll break the record - I think the last one was set when the G5 was introduced.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Both Apple and MacRumors experienced very heavy traffic today. Both stayed up and running but were slow at times.

And we just missed the forum record of 2652 members online (January 2004, during Macworld SF 2004).

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Was that the peak number today? I saw it when it was hovering around 2150 or so...

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

Getting the "server is busy" message 9 times out of 10 when trying to view a thread or post is not "staying up".

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As opposed to "the software crashed and we had to manually start it back up again"? As long as people were able to get through and the software didn't crash, I'd say that it stayed up.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, you are correct - that was a fun time to be on the Forum, trust me! Looking forward to MWSF, as I am almost positive that record will be broken. :cool: But will it be because of Intel-based Mac announcements, or dual-core 3 GHz G5 PowerMac announcements - or both? :eek:

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, I noticed Apple.com acting sluggish as well now that you mention it. Not surprising though. I hope they beef up their xServes for MWSF, as I think they'll be getting a lot of hits after that Keynote. Hmm, in a twist of irony, they should beef up their servers with Intel-based machines for the event... ;)

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Another amazing coincidence: Both Apple and MacRumors announced the iPod nano today!

16. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The problem is that the big events are just too big - the number of users trying to get on is way above the server capacity so either the forums will crash completely, or it they'll be hidden from the public. If they are open, it'll be partially down to luck if they stay up long enough to get enough people online to break the record.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Um, it used to be worse. :rolleyes:

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good point - even though a record number of people may try to access the site, they may not all be able to! Ah well, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things...

19. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

see, this makes me wonder what kind of hardward mr is running on. i remember they upgraded several months ago but someone give us all the details!

i'd guess it was a quad xeon or p4 machine with 2.4ghz procs

and how much bandwidth does mr deliver in a month?

20. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The site runs on three servers, one of which is a dual Xeon, other two are P4s. Monthly bandwidth usage will be close to or over 1TB for the main site & forums combined I would imagine, based on what arn's said in the past.

Yup, also bear in mind that even the forum user record is only a fraction of the visitors at keynotes - last keynote there were more than 35,000 people looking at the main transcript at any one time.