The Shawshank Redemption, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here's a nice reason to live in Los Angeles. Last night, I was driving my family to a cousin's birthday party in Beverly Hills and we happened to drive by the Motion Picture Academy's screening theater. Just as we went by, some celebrities got out of a limo onto a red carpet where a mob of reporters with camera were waiting. For some reason they failed to wave at me and invite me in, so I drove on by. Later I found out what was going on. It turns out that Morgan Freeman and others (including Tom Cruise) were there to celebrate the 10th anniversary of The Shawshank Redemption, in conjunction with a new DVD release.

In my opinion, The Shawshank Redemption was one of the great movies of the 90s. I remember that it had me smiling, worrying, cheering, wincing, and overall feeling good about a well-written, well-acted, gripping, and clever movie. Especially since I've been in jail 4 times myself (see note below).

The Shawshank Redemption came out in 1994 and was nominated for 7 Oscars (although it won none of them):
    Best Picture (Niki Marvin)
    Best Actor (Morgan Freeman)
    Best Adapted Screenplay (Frank Darabont)
    Best Cinematography (Roger Deakins)
    Best Film Editing (Richard Francis-Bruce)
    Best Original Score (Thomas Newman)
    Best Sound (Robert J. Litt, Elliot Tyson, Michael Herbick, and Willie Burton)​
    Does anybody else think it was a great movie? Anybody heard about this new release?

Note about the jails: I've been on tours of Alcatraz and San Quentin prisons in California, and the old-fashioned jail in Park City, Utah that is now a museum about the original mining town before it became a ski resort. And once I took the kids to an open house at our local police station; they were afraid to go in the cell that was there for visitors to try out, but I went in and looked out of the bars at them. All four times that I've been in jail, I just walked out. Who says prison breaks are so tough?

2. Drewswa77 macrumors member

One of my all time favorites.

It might be my favorite in fact. I like being able to see bits an pieces on TV these days. Its on a lot. Only reason it didnt win any Oscars was Forrest Gump. That movie cleaned up that year and deserved too. They should have had dial best picture honors that year, like NCAA football does on occasion with National Champs.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sucks that they didn't recognize you, when you've done your best to insert yourself into their lives.

I'm surprised they didn't recognize you and arrest you on that outstanding stalking warrant. ;)

Better luck next time. :p

---

And yes, it is one of the great movies.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Shawshank is one of my all-time favorites, and is the best movie ever made based on anything written by that Stephen King dude (nods to The Shining and The Green Mile, though). What a perfect ending. Everyone gets what they deserve.

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I love this movie for many of the good reasons you mentioned before, being well cast, well shot, the music it was set to was 'right' for the picture, etc. But one of the best parts about it was the fact that it followed relatively closely to the book it was set on - "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" by Stephen King. It's actually a part of "Hope Springs Eternal", which itself is a novella from the "Different Seasons" collection of books by King. Another from that group is Cycle of the Warewolf, which was unfortunately turned into the Cory/Cory movie of the 1980's - "Silver Bullet" - with one of the Cory's in a wheelchair and Gary Busey as the dad (enough said).

Anyway - trying to not digress too much, I think in the realm of "Stephen King Book Turned Into A Movie" this one ranks right up there near the top, with "The Green Mile" which I think is the best example of this group of films.

There are some disasters in the "follow the book" line, including the IT miniseries, the Tommyknockers miniseries, and things like "Needful Things" which was a really good book turned into a steaming pile of dogcrap.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Don't forget Cujo. While not the worst movie treatment of an SK story, it was ruined by the fact that they completely changed the ending, with one of the principal characters who died in the book surviving in the movie. Shameful. If not for a young Dee Wallace, I don't think I could watch it at all.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Shawshank is one of my top 3 or 5 all time as well. I saw it again this summer, and it really is remarkable, in many ways. IMHO, the movies that get nominated for best picture these days are about 2 cuts below films from a few years back like Shawshank or Braveheart.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

9. stillwater macrumors regular

"Shawshank" is one of my favorite movies too. Morgan Freeman is a terrific actor. I also think Tim robbins is really good.

There's also a personal reason that The Shawshank Redemption is special for me. You know the scene in the prison yard when Freeman's character "Red" reads the postcard from Robbins' character " Andy" and then turns the postcard over and its that picture of the cowboy riding a Texas sized jack rabbit? Well, that cowboy was my father, Jack Stewart.

10. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Great movie. When I think about it, I always think about the movie "Sleepers." Anyone else like "Sleepers," too?

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Now that is a pretty nice piece of family history. How did your dad come to find himself astride a rabbit? Was that shot for the movie or was it a real postcard?

12. stillwater macrumors regular

That's a real postcard. As a matter of fact, its still in print. As for how my dad came to be on it is still bit of a mystery. One thing I do know is that the picture of my father was cut from a photo of him sitting on his horse. That picture was also published as a postcard titled "Branding Time". Unfortunately, nobody knows who the photagrapher was or exactly when the picture was taken. We think the original photo was shot in the 1950s.

Also, unfortunately, my father died in the hospital in 1963 after his farm tractor rolled over on him. He was a cattle rancher in Goodnight Texas at the time of his death.

On another note of movie trivia, my dad appeared as an extra in the film "Hud". In the scene when Hud's nephew Lon gets the wind knocked out of him by a cow, my dad is on top of the corral fence when the kid's grandfather (played by Melvin Douglas) Says" Alright Jack, get back to work" at which point my dad does just that.

13. nerd macrumors member

I'm a big fan of this movie.

My favorite line [edit: SPOILER] is when "Red" (Morgan Freeman), speaking about the warden, says:

[from the moderator: select the text below to see the quote]

---> "I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was how the hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him." <---

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There was a pretty good Charlie Rose interview with Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, and Frank Darabont about two or tree weeks ago.

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it was a great movie it should have won at least an oscar i guess it was unlucky to be in a good movie year, which unfortunately i cant say has been the past couple years; as much as i like lord of the rings i dont think they are as quality as shawshank

16. sethypoo macrumors 68000

No, I didn't like Sleepers too much. Bad, bad storyline.

But the Shawshank Redemption was amazing. I first saw it while on a tour bus heading through the valley in California. It was very, very powerful. Wonderful Ending, too.

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We have the original DVD. (The new one will be released October 5, 2004.) From now on, I will tip my hat to your father each time we watch it.

18. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I can honestly say Shawshank is my #1 favorite movie. I have a lot of favorites and a lot of DVD's. Just hit 530 last week. And I can say watching Shawshank time and again I always come away entertained. A lot of movies don't have the ability to do that, well at least for me they don't. I watch something and generally that's it. There isn't much more to the story other then a very thin plot. Shawshank's plot, characters, location, and time are all pretty much timeless. Again for me depending on the mood I'm in I get something different out of that movie every time.

Which is why until now I've only owned the VHS version of the movie that I got when it first came out on VHS. There are certain movies I will NOT own unless they are given the special treatment on DVD. Shawshank was abused by WB as far as I'm concerned. The special edition should have come out 4 years ago. As it stands I will, in all likelihood, pick up the special edition DVD, but I'm betting cold hard cash the audio commentaries are going to be for crap.
    Example. Robin Hood: PoT that recently came out on DVD in special edition format. (Another movie that deserved the SE treatment long ago.) The movie itself was filmed so long ago the commentaries by the cast is a joke. Freeman didn't give us any insight into anything. I don't consider this a failing on the part of the actors or directors in any way considering we are talking 10+ years ago and god knows how many movies ago for these people. No it’s the studio's fault as far as I'm concerned. They took their sweet time to come out with these special editions.
    You thought the reels of film for Star Wars was degrading fast. It’s got nothing on a person's ability to forget.
    At any rate I'm at least glad WB is doing SOMETHING with Shawshank. It sure as heck deserves it.

19. kanker macrumors 6502

I HATE when I'm flipping through the channels and Shawshank is on. I know that the next couple of hours will have functionally disappeared from my day, because I can't turn it off if I start to watch. What makes this even more stupid is that I have it on DVD, so I don't have to sit through the commercials, but I do. One of the all time great movies.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Shawshank is a complete classic IMO. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are brilliant in it, and the story is gerat too. Picked it up a couple of years back on DVD for £4.99 off play.com, can't say better than that :cool:.

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I always approach Stephen King-based films with trepidation, for every Shining you get a Tommyknockers, cujo and pet sematary, for every Green Mile there's It, Needful Things and Christine (Ok Christine wasn't all bad).

The Shawshank Redemption succeeds because it sticks very closely to the original plot, but more than that, well over 80% of the dialog is lifted verbatim from the novella, and King always writes such compelling dialog, regardless of his strange problem with endings.

Add to that riveting performances from the leads and a very stylish production, and Shawshank has been in my top 10 since the day I saw it.

Another DVD on the "to buy" list then.

22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Like many, the Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's one of those movies that you can sit down and watch... it doesn't matter how many times you have seen it... It never gets old.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree both of these movies were great.

Shawshank was one of the few films that I went to see in the theater. I was moved by the story and the acting. For me it gave me an appreciation of Freeman as an actor. I was disappointed that the movie did not get any Oscars.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to look at that scene again. In honor of your father.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, I'll have to try and remember this trick!