The Silent killer Mac disease

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JW8725, Jun 18, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

So here I sit, infront of my mac mini, a month into the switch. Its been interesting, a few minor hiccups along the way, nothing this forum didnt sort out for me - for which I am greatful.

Now I must say I'm sticking to mac and all that comes with it. I find the whole GUI really friendly and kinda soothing to use. The thing is recently i've been hit with a disease. Upgraditis! Apparently its rife among young mac users?? Its a killer too, my poor wallet! My poor bank ballance! My poor credit cards!

I've been thinkin about a power mac now. Something with RAW power and grunt as a main system and the mini a separate entity, networked. But the main question is - are those power macs silent? And if so, how silent on comparison to the mini? Last thing I need is a noisy machine to remind me of my bad PC days when I just wanted to slap the bitch to shut it up.

2. SLCentral macrumors regular

While they aren't SILENT, they are sure as hell quieter then any PC I have encountered (and that's quite a few), and the fan speed adjusts based on usage. If you're sitting there surfing on Safari, you will barely hear a whisper. If you load up Maya, Final Cut Pro, etc, the fans get gradually louder and louder. It is silent on Sleep, though, and when idle, it is pretty damn quiet.

3. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I know what you mean!
    I am very happy with my PB... and don't need a deskbased system really I guess... but have been resisting the urge for either a PowerMac or iMac for months and months...
    I haven't looked at another laptop since I bought my PB... but feel the need to buy more Mac!

4. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Yeah.. I know what you mean.. I pretty much have an iBook turned PowerBook.. only difference being the color and the HD size... It's really quiet... at 512MB of RAM it sliced through my Final Cut projects.. now that I just put in 1GB (so now 1.256GB) it yawns at me while I have final cut, firefox, aim, and iTunes open. Apple's are the best computer's in the world... I can't wait for my 17" LCD monitor and iCurve that I'm getting in a week :D

5. GlynJones macrumors 6502

I know what you mean. I bought a 12" Powerbook at the end of last year. Then a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for it. Then a 20" widescreen Dell monitor and tomorrow I should take delivery of my Refurb Dual 1.8 Powermac.

I know other people who collect Macs as well. I have a theory ... Mr Jobs installs a special chip in them that sends out a subliminal message to buy more Apple products.

6. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

lol this thread is so true.

While some diseases affect us biologically, the Mac disease aims for our financial hearts.

I just got an iBook, and right away I got a booqbag and a gig of ram (both should arrive soon).

Im turning my iBook into my main computer lol

There might be a 3.2 p4 for sale on eBay sometime soon :D

7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I can completely relate to this thread.
    Today I ordered from Amazon a 15" Powerbook to upgrade the aging TiBook in my sig.

When I finally installed tiger and saw that my 'book wouldn't do the ripple effect on dashboard, I finally took the decision.

8. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I know how you feel. When I get my Mac I know it is going to have to do the eye candy. Also the upgradeidtis (or whatever you named the disease) is very common I have it all the time with my iPods.

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

So, you have taken a bite of the Apple eh?

I caught the bug about 10 years ago. I am lucky to have one of the 2.5Ghz's - it is something I was only dreaming about having last year. Somehow, it came true.

I hate to say this but save up for a PowerMac - you'll never turn back!!! :D

aussie_geek

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If a person is going to have a disease, the Mac disease is the most beneficial. Will give you hours of pleasure.

11. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

Someone once said "An Apple a day keeps the doctor away"... Keeps the bank manager close though :D

I get exactly what you mean! I almost cancelled the order for my iBook because I realised I could just afford a PowerBook... (I also feel a level of respect for the names of the products- I can't type "PowerBook" without the caps... :eek: )

I stuck with the iBook since it meant I could spend more on pimpin' it, so in Florida's Millenia store in 3 weeks I will be purchasing: 512mb RAM, JBL Creature2 speakers, Bluetooth wireless two-button mouse, and a laptop bag, hopefully a Crumpler backpack. That should kill off my holiday money lol!

Any psychologists out there that could explain why we want to hoard Mac stuff? I want to keep my eMac even though I won't be using it (and could do with the cash after Florida :)...) Are we some kind of cult?

12. BenAKL macrumors member

BenAKL

It all started innocently with an iPod (20Gb) in April last year. Then a month later, I got myself an eMac.

Two months ago, I bought myself a 17" Rev A iMac, and a few weeks later, the 20" Rev B iMac.

But wait! There's more! In the midst of all that, I bought an iBook in August last year. That doesn't include the plethora of accessories for the iPod and the eMac/iMacs.

I'm definitely in the very late stages of "upgraditis". Help!

Hrmmm..... a PowerMac eh?

Argh! :p

13. kant macrumors 6502

And that is exactly what Steve Jobs hopes millions of people say over the next few years.

14. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Typing on a TiBook here (my baby)... I switched in December 2002. My main regret is not going Mac back in '99 when I went with a Gateway Solo. It currently sits in a box in a closet next to my cat's dumper, gathering dust and spyware probably. I figure if it was a 6 year old Mac instead of a boxy PC, I'd probably have it sitting out somewhere, maybe hooked to the stereo or something instead of rotting.

Nonetheless, I've kept all my packaging too - pb, girlfriend's iBook, airport extreme, airport card, 2G 20 GB iPod, 2 minis, Tiger, iLife, etc. Jeez, what the heck has gotten into me or what the heck is wrong with me?

Side note: any relation to Owen Glynne Jones? The 19th century British rock climber?

15. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Whilst I don't normally ever admit this in public...
    I also have a Gateway laptop gathering dusk in my spare room!
    sigh - and that was an experience I hope NEVER to repeat!!!

16. the future macrumors 6502a

Fellow macaddicts, whatever you do, be sure to save enough money until spring 2006 when the super-thin, super-fast Macintel PowerBooks will be unveiled... resistance will be very futile indeed.

17. BenAKL macrumors member

BenAKL

Mac Thesis

There is a paper here just begging to be written! :D

18. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

Hhmmm, I need to start thinking of a title for my degree dissertation... How can I angle that into media studies? lol!

I've heard of books that look into the Mac cult - anyone read one?

Ps: iBook should be here today :D :D :D

19. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

OT:

Lunja...cider is made from Apple's what? Or is that a contraction?

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I had a coupon, so I got "the cult of mac" book.
    It's so cool, I can relate to every obsessive story! :)

21. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

lol- Cider is an alcoholic drink made from apples. It's kinda popular in here England... I have a hatred of lager/beer, and prefer cider, hence the "Apple" pun...

It's not that good really is it... lol! Sorry for any confusion!

Ps- If you could tell me if any liquor stores in the US (presuming you're from there...) sell decent cider it would make my holiday a bit better :)