The Sims 2 Gripes

Discussion in 'Games' started by gekko513, Jul 5, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think the Sims series are good games, and especially Sims 2 has lots of impressive features, nice graphics and interesting gameplay twists. However, I have several gripes with the game. I know it won't change anything to post them here, but maybe I can get someone to share the pain with. In no particular order:

- Four o'clock phone calls. When you haven't been in touch with friends for a while, they call at four o'clock to complain, and all you can do is say OK and hang up. First of all it's not logical that someone always calls at four o'clock if they feel left out, second of all it's not logical that you can't keep talking or invite them over or something when they're already on the phone with you, third it's ******* annoying when you get 5 calls in row in the afternoon for no other reason than to complain. :mad:
    - Woodwork and colours. There are dozens of different wood styles for the flooring, walls and furniture. Not every item comes in every style and it's almost impossible to find matching pieces for interior design. This also goes for bathroom and kitchenware.
    - Huge furniture and objects obstruct the view. Staircases are worst, and there's only one style of staircase, the metal and glass one, that doesn't block "everything". Then there's dressers, bookcases, refrigerators, pillars and shower cabinets. Would it be so difficult to add an option for cutting off tall objects, staircases in particular, in the view just like they do for walls? More small dressers would also be nice.
    - Stupid Sim behaviour. The Sims have gotten smarter in most areas, but sometimes I wish they did show some more sense. My main complaint is that they have no sense of planning. After they call a cab, they often run off to the other side of the area if left to their own desires. If two Sims are hungry and one starts to prepare a meal for both, the other Sim will also start to prepare a meal unless you stop him/her. Worst case, they call a cab and then starts to prepare a meal.
    - More meal time gripes. In general they usually start to prepare a meal at the worst times possible, and if you don't stop them in time for them to start grabbing the refrigerator door, there's no way to stop them from getting the ingredients out, and they can't put the ingredients back.
    - Wants. The stupid Sims with pleasure aspiration wants a bowling alley and a huge DJ booth in their house. :rolleyes: All the Sims I've played with fortune aspiration wants to become top of the crime career even though they've never done anything "wicked" in their simulated life. :rolleyes:
    - Kissing welcomes. Sims who have never kissed, but get a crush on someone for various reasons, kiss whenever they meet or say goodbye. Even if that Sim has never experienced a kiss before, it isn't remembered as a first kiss. It's illogical and annoying.

These are just some of my gripes. Can anyone tell that I'm hooked on the Sims right now? :p

Anyone else have gripes with the Sims 2?

2. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I sorta agree with the friend thing, when I have like 30 friends calling ALL at the same time. & then later it tells me in a thousand different messages that we are no longer friends.

annoying.

I also don't like how there isn't a view from the person's view. I want one.
    I want the camera to have the option of automatically ''hooking'' on the person. Where it follows the person around.

I don't like how sometimes I can't find the baby...they put it in the effing floor in the middle of no where. I either want them to put it in the crib LOGICALLY or just have....a GPS baby tracker hahahahhahah.

I also want an official sims download site....a lot of the ones available now are...stupid.

I want a spiral staircase.

I'll add more later. haha.

3. 17luv macrumors member

What? You don't enjoy playing "Wheres-the-baby"? First person point of view would really put us in the game and I would love it mostly just to view my houses' decorations :D
    To the first poster some of those problems can be fixed with second party downloads if you want but yeah those are annoying. It would be great too if whatever hair a sim was born with (custom or not) that color could be passed on instead of just the style but oh wells oh and can I add it would be FABULOUS if you could buy ONE version and it run on whatever OS you are running.... this is a want list right?:D

4. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Cmd click the persons icon and the camera will follow the person, but it isn't from the person's view, though.
    Me too, but most of all I want the current ones to be cut off like the walls in cut-off-wall-view.

17luv: I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by passing on the hair color? I don't trust the second party downloads. There's too much weird and illogical stuff.

One more gripe, or rather a bug. Taking a picture with the camera or painting a portrait or still image using 'C' to select the frame is seriously effed up. It seems to just take a screenshot instead of focusing on what I selected.

5. 17luv macrumors member

I meant say if I create someone with custom Dark Blonde hair in a short bob it would be great if his/her kids that inherited that hair could be Dark Blonde in curls or really long. For example if I have a custom haired sim with a default black haired sim the offspring either has the custom hair do and color (if same sex as the custom sim) or the color of the default sim (or grandparent) in any style. Hopefully that is clearer :)

I couldn't agree more about that camera thing!!! >_< That would be such a cool feature if it didn't suck so much trying to get a good picture of your sims.

6. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Aha, I see. But it does work with non-custom hair styles doesn't it?

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

OK:

1 Four O'clock phone calls: its just a reminder to keep in touch with your friends, friends are important for promotions, if you keep in touch, this will not happen

2 Woodwork and colors: Personally, i think there are many styles to choose from, plus you can edit / create your own in The Sims 2 Homecrafter Plus. Its free and downloadable from thesims2.com.

3. There's totally a graphics option for "see through objects" which when your camera angle gets close enough, they will fade with varying degrees of transparency so you can see everything.

4. Stupid Sim behavior, this is somewhat true, but then what would the point of you playing the game be? THAT"S THE BASIS OF THE GAME you control your sim!

you do not have very many arguments here, and why are you telling us if you hate the game? Dont play it! personally, i like the game. This thread is a waste of space

Ending Rant

8. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

If they stood and did nothing when you didn't tell them to do something, you'd have a point. Instead, they go wander off adn do stuff you didn't tell them to do, and occasionally don't listen..."I can't go to the bathroom; I have to PEE too badly!" or "I can't go to bed; I'm too SLEEPY!"

stupid Sims. LOL

9. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

geez don't get your panties in a wad.
    he said he had a few gripes.

1. You think if someone has 30+ friends they are gonna be able to keep up with them all the time without the Sim having a heart attack & pissing him/herself?

2. That's true, you can also download floors, walls, cabinets, everything.

3. Yeah.

4. If you have a family of 6, it is hard to keep up with them, they need to have atleast a little sense. LIKE LEAVING THE BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YARD AT 4 AM IN THE MORNING :mad:

10. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Xander562: You're overreacting. I said I'm hooked on the Sims 2, so obviously I like the game.

markkk! makes good points and for point 3 I'd have to say that the see through option is only marginally helpful because you have to go so close for it to go into effect. For point 2, my gripe is that there are too many inconsistent styles of wood, not too few. Also, Homecrafter Plus is Windows only, isn't it?

I found a hack to address my number 1 gripe, the four o'clock calls, over at http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/. It's called the Phone Hack, but it's a bit weird. It makes the nag calls at four o'clock into calls to chat, which is an improvement, but when I ended such a call, the friend that was on the phone magically teleported to stand in front of the house.

It also lets you set a ringer count for the phone which is great. If only it hadn't been for that bug... :(

11. 17luv macrumors member

That is too funny! So they don't get enough of nagging you at that time on the phone, they come over to make sure you got the message hahah.

I hate too how they just drop the baby anywhere especially when there is an open crib:mad:

I am glad there are so many hacks/mods out there like the banking one with the email hack, my sims got far fewer calls like that :D

12. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I think it's funny when they check their email 1,000 times in a row.
    Or when 2 people are stuck because one wants to go the bathroom and one is IN the bathroom so they just stand there.

sometimes they are really stupid.

13. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Oh, come on! Why does dancing alone help for social need?! :rolleyes: