The Sims 2 + MacBook + OS X = What performance?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TWLreal, Aug 27, 2006.

1. TWLreal macrumors 6502

It's been a month since I had the MacBook. 2.0 GHz and 1 GB of RAM.

Feel like spending money on a game and thought The Sims 2 would be a great game to play for the replay value.

I simply do not want to use Boot Camp and install Windows as I have a PC to play games already. I just want to have one game on the MacBook for some on-the-go gaming. So I would like to buy the Mac version.

I am aware of the Universal Binary patch but would like to know how well it runs and at what resolutions? I wouldn't mind downsizing to 1024*768 4:3 mode if I could keep the game smooth.

Opinions?

2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

It'll probably run acceptably at 1024x768 with all the goodies turned down/off.

3. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

That kind of sucks.

I was hoping it would be able to pull off a medium at 1024*768 and be completely smooth.

4. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

It might.

I've never actually used the Sims 2 on a MacBook; that was just my guess.

Perhaps you could borrow a friend's copy? Or buy from a store that has a liberal return policy?

5. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a shame there's no demo available for me to try. Friends? Who on the Internet has friends? I'm just kidding, no one I know has the game or a Mac.

And no, there are no stores that will accept opened boxes for refund or exchange. I know EB Games does but there aren't any where I live.

6. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

7. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

8. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it is universal.

I need to know first hand experience of the game under the conditions I asked.

9. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

The Sims 2 works fine on the MacBook with 512MB RAM if you have only like one other app open. With 2GB, I used it with Mail, Safari and iChat open behind it and it ran well.

10. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

If look around, you might be able to find it for less. I just bought the game Sunday, for $24 bucks. I did get the windows version though, I use boot camp for my games. FYI, this game is a blast to play, I had my doubts at first because I'm more of a Dawn of War RTS/F.E.A.R 1st person shooter type gamer.

11. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

That's nice. I have 1 GB and don't plan on doing anything in the background while playing a game.

What resolution and settings are you using and how smooth is it? How about screenshots?

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The MacBook will do fine in the CPU department, if you have 1GB you should be golden... the problem is the GMA 950 is very lackluster, I play Sims 2 on a 9600SE, its good at med/high at 1024x768 but lags a lot when you activate AA (which is practically needed in The Sims 2) sadly (you have the 9600SE crap memory bandwidth to blame for that), and the 9600SE kills the GMA950 (even in the memory department)

You might be fine at 1024x768 without AA (the game calls it smooth edges), low textures and low lighting, the rest could either be medium or low depending on your framerate tolerance.

The Sims 2 is a very demanding game, when you have a few sims and your house is small the game runs blazingly fast but when you buy a 9x9 lot (largest) and equip your house with 2/3 stories, elevators, lights, a huge decorated garden, gates, pools, etc, the game slows down to a crawl, thankfully, The Sims 2 is playable even at 10fps.