The Sims 2 on Intel Macs... to patch or not to patch

Discussion in 'Games' started by gekko513, Jun 27, 2006.

1. macrumors 603

gekko513

There's a universal patch for The Sims 2, but it doesn't work with the expansion packs according to Aspyr.
    Has anyone tried to run the game on an Intel Mac with the expansions through Rosetta? Is the performance acceptable, or should I wait with the expansion packs until Aspyr releases the patches?

I have a 2GHz MBP.

2. macrumors 65816

mark!

Patch. The Sims 2 runs really slow without the patch. Some of the expansion packs are universal now, but you have to buy them but I guess patches for expansions aren't available.

3. thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

OK, thanks. I'll wait for Aspyr to get finished, then.

4. macrumors 68000

Bern

5. thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Wow, thanks for that, Bern. I guess Aspyr hasn't updated their info on their The Sims 2 pages then, just the expansion pack pages.

6. macrumors 65816

mark!

WOAH! Thanks! I knew The Sims 2 patch was out, but not the expansion pack patches.

7. macrumors 6502a

Bern, what specs are your mb? Id like run the Sims 2 on mine but want to make sure it runs alright before buying it. Hows the performance on it?

8. macrumors regular

fenixx

It took Aspyr way too long to patch the game, after months of promising an updated patch.

Luckily, Apple released Boot Camp, and I just got the PC version and played that way.

9. macrumors 65816

mark!

The Sims 2 patch came out in March...:confused:

That's when they promised it :confused:

10. macrumors 68000

Bern

I have the white 2Ghz MB with 2GB of ram. The Sims 2 runs amazingly well in comparison to when it was installed on my 12" 1.5Ghz Powerbook. The clarity/resolution for a start is so much better. It's not sluggish as I left it set to the default settings the game establishes when it gets installed.

I can't make a comparison to the Sims 2 running on any other Mac as I have never seen it run on any other than my Powerbook. (I guess it's not that popular here).

11. macrumors 6502a

Thanks Bern, I think I'll go ahead and pick it up for my MB. Mines only got a gig of ram in it but if I lower some of the settings it should hopefully run. Thanks!

12. macrumors member

So if you get/have all the games/expansions and patch them it runs fine on an intel mac??

13. thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Yep, except in my case the Nightlife expension was already patched to the latest version, so when I tried to patch the already pre-patched install, it caused an error. I just had to reinstall the expansion pack to fix it, though.

14. macrumors member

Thanks :) Too bad I can't just run my PC version without installing windows T_T why are mac games sooo expensive!