The Sims 2 on Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by t300, Apr 15, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I really hope this game will be available on Mac. It looks so beautiful. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

[​IMG]

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

A did a quick Google search and apparently there will be a Mac version, but it will be released at a later, unconfirmed date, probably next year.

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Hope it runs on my AlBook, I also hope it's a little less farked up than Sim City 4.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I would bet my first born on it being published by Aspyr.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Your first born sim or your first born real child?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Whichever you prefer!

8. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Given the past success of the Sims on the Mac it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I agree. It does look pretty slick though. Hopefully that actual gameplay and not some rendered intro.

10. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I browsed an article talking about it and it essentually said that Sims 2 will be just like Sims 1 only in real 3D with 360 degrees of camera angles (as opposed to just the 4 previously) and you can build 4 levels to your house, well, maybe it was 3 and a rooftop patio but nonetheless, it seems like it will be a pretty fun game once released.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That does sound cool. And processor intensive. Glad I just coughed up the $ for a CPU upgrade!

12. Captain_Proton macrumors newbie

13. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

14. applekid macrumors 68020

I know what you're talking about, but that lady is just over-confident. I don't doubt it'll be released on the Mac (The Sims is very successful on the Mac), but there's been no official announcements about a Mac version, yet.

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

if it does, you'll be needing a G5 and 1GB RAM and one of the upgrade graphics cards to get it working worth a crap.

16. ForeverPhoenix macrumors newbie

the current PC requirements are only 700mhz if you have a real videocard.

I'm sure you could run it on any 1ghz+ g4 machine, if you put the settings low enough.

17. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Yea, honestly, whats up with Sim City 4? I just blamed it on my video card, but it always has glitches, like it can't handle the graphics. It almost makes it not even worth it to play. Whats up with that?

18. benpatient macrumors 68000

sim city 4 has always run like a champ on my PC.

I was playing it 2 days ago with full settings on a max-size city of over 200,000 sims at 1600x1200x32 and it still ran great.

are you guys talking about the mac version? because if so...are you surprised?

and to the guy saying that sims2 will run on a 700mhz PC, do you realize that your qualifier (a good graphics card) translates into a radeon 9800 pro or better?

and do you realize what the original Sims "minimum requirements" were? Did you ever try running the original Sims with a computer that had those specs? what maxis means by "min spec" is "this will boot up most of the time...after that, you're on your own."

19. applekid macrumors 68020

SimCity 4 running great? I'm assuming you have Rush Hour with it and/or your PC has high specs. What's your PC's specs? People have told me over and over, the Mac version runs much better than the PC version. (This was when the game was initially released on the Mac, and comments from people that owned the PC version). I'm sure it runs great on a G5. Graphics are a bit glitchy on the Mac at times, but that's to do some bad graphics cards.

Am I surprised it's not running that well on certain Macs? Not really. It's not like similar PCs were doing much better with it.

The Sims minimum requirements were: 233 MHz G3 or better, 64 MB of RAM, 2 MB VRAM, and 8x CD-ROM drive. (There's more requirements, but these are the important ones). I have played The Sims on my Bondi Blue iMac. Same as the requirements except I have a 4 or 6 MB video card (I think), a faster CD Drive, and 96 MB of RAM.

It ran alright. Turn off Virtual Memory, things got a little better. I have 512 MB of RAM, so I should test it again sometime, but anyways... It was choppy for certain graphics, but it was completely playable. It wasn't a mess to scroll and do tasks. A bit choppy when the CD spinned up and when there was some sudden change in the animation (like the spin they do when they change their clothing).

20. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i say they should port Singles - Flirt up your Life. cause lets face it, although the careers, making friends, and taking care of pets is fun - the most fun in the sims is hooking up with girls :p

Attached Files:

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

Yes. I have the Deluxe Edition that has Rush Hour built in. From what i understand the original SC4 cds shipped with a strong need for a patch, which came out before Deluxe was released...

I've literally only had 1 problem with SC4 on my PC...sometimes when i exit the game, it stays running in the background. I can pull up the task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and it shows SimCity4.exe running, and it's using 240mb of ram and 85% of my processor time...needless to say, i can tell when this happens, because things start to slow down quickly...

But you asked for my machine specs...they are fairly middle-of-the-road where PCs are concerned.

Athlon 2500+ (Barton)
    120GB SATA Barracuda 7.2 hard drive
    ASUS 400-series mobo with the deluxe package (surround sound, dual LAN, etc)
    1024MB of PC3200 golden dragon GEIL RAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 128 graphics card

That's it. It's possible that the RAM gives me an advantage, but I don't know...I think more than 512 couldn't possibly help on that game, since it's only using about 1/4 of my total RAM when its running.

Like i said, a pretty ho-hum modern computer. 500 bucks at Dell or possibly less...

Mind you, at 1600x1200, it has a little bit of delay when you scroll quickly around the map...and the screen redraw of the high-detail buildings sometimes takes almost a full second if i'm zoomed out too far, but It runs fast enough that I can't really keep up with it...I'm certainly not waiting on the game at any point, except when loading a city or going back out to the region.

But yes, it runs great on my machine.

22. applekid macrumors 68020

That graphics card must be helping a lot. It takes a couple of seconds for re-drawing from zooms or scrolling with my GeForce4MX. It gets choppy when my city is filled in every tile. I haven't reached that 100,000 milestone where things start getting real messy.

I suppose that RAM is helping out a bit as far as speed goes with that game. I have 768 MB of RAM in my iMac, but it's not DDR, so it sorta helps.

Besides for re-drawing, I only wait for my city to pull in some cash for me. :D I've mastered it so that I can start any city, keep the revenues high enough, and work at my own pace. :cool: Runs good enough for me to keep playing.