The Sims 2 on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Games' started by onlyONE, Jun 14, 2006.

1. onlyONE macrumors member

Jun 14, 2006
    I'm ordering a 15 inch MacBook Pro(2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 80 Gb at 5400 rpm[how much of a difference would 100 Gb at 7200 make?]) within the next few days. Mostly it's for college processing work and Photoshop/Illustrator, but I own a copy of The Sims 2(+ University) which I haven't played because it performs so poorly on my 4 year old Compaq Preario 2100. How can I expect the preformance on this MacBook Pro to be with TS2? Will it preform alright with decent graphical settings?
  2. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Make sure you download and install the universal binary patch. It runs very slowly under Rosetta. Should be top-notch with the patch installed but I can't confrim. (Didn't play it since the patch was released)
  3. mark! macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    I have the 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro with the 128 MB video card & it plays very well at 1440x900. It's great! There's a part in the introduction where it swoops over the neighborhood and it starts to get choppy. If you build a house thats like....20348209248x32409284 it starts to get choppy. At a lower resolution (the one lower than looks the same but...not as 'HD') it's buttery smooooth. I think it sould be fine on your MacBook Pro.
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Assuming you run sims2 on xp (as you already have pc version) via bootcamp it will run great. But if you buy the mac version of sims 2 that will run great too.

As for HD speed. There has been some benchmarking on this forum and it seems that the 80gb 5400rpm at times outperforms thirdparty 7200rpm drives. So the speed boost you will get is minimal.

However 7200 is always prefered if you are audio editing or capturing dv video. BUT.. if your doing either of those things you really dont want to be doing them on a small laptop capacity HD, rather a big external firewire drive would be much more preferable.

So basically it boils down to space, rather than speed. Do you need to spend $100 more BTO for an extra 20gb, or you could take that $100 and put it towards a decent sized external firewire drive. Much better value overall.

Or better still max out your memory, it will give you a better performance boost than the BTO hard drive upgrade.

That's my 2 cents anyway.