The Sims 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by benpatient, Sep 16, 2004.

1. benpatient macrumors 68000

I went out and bought the DVD version of Sims 2 for PC last night.

I'm a reasonable, hard-working, intelligent young man with a pretty standard job and pretty standard adult waking/sleeping times.

And I played this game until nearly 5 a.m. this morning.

If you found the first Sims game even slightly intriguing or interesting...even if you didn't like how it looked or the game dynamics or the limitations, etc...if you found it anything more than "repugnant"

well, if that's you, then the Sims 2 is probably a game you will have a hard time putting down. Provided you have a machine that can handle it well...

the interface is intuitive and all-in-all silky smooth.

There are some SERIOUSLY cool things going on. When you play a game of chess, you can zoom in and see the sims ACTUALLY PLAYING the game...there is a chess game being played right there in your little house.

When you are in the shower and someone flushes the toilet, you get a cold blast, get mad, run out of the shower and find the person who did it, yelling at them, or depending on your personality, doing more/less.

I spent last night building a Sim version of my house...garage, porch, attic, driveway, fireplaces, stairs and all...it's really quite close to the real thing. There are a couple of weird places in my house that I can't replicate in-game on a strictly accurate basis, and the roof line is not exactly right...but that's because I'm not very good with the roofing tools yet.

And you can import SimCity4 cities...

It's really, really excellent. I don't know if the activities and interactions will get old after a while, but so far, they aren't being repetitive at ALL. Maybe after a few more hours I will see some downsides, but so far...well, it's just a bit shocking how well thought-out and implimented this game is. Truly beyond my expectations. 50 dollars well-spent...

2. ocellnuri macrumors regular

I'm trying to keep this game on my Christmas list and out of my hands, hopefully allowing me to get some decent grades this semester. However, the temptation is growing... I've been playing The Sims 1 lately, which has been enough of a distraction. I'm afraid if I got The Sims 2 now, I'd never do anything else!

Glad to hear it's as good as it looks though. It'd be great to hear an update in a few days too as your opinion of the game gets more of a basis.

3. iceTrX macrumors regular

Thank you for the well written review :)
    After reading that and all the other good reviews I have seen of the game I will probably pick it up soon.

4. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

Well, I guess I'm pulling the old PC back out again, I'm not a gamer, but I like the Sims, so I can't wait to try this.

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Any word on when we might expect a Mac release? That review has got be really want to try the game out.

6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    There's a writeup about Sims2 in the "Circuits" section of today's (Thursday, September 16) New York Times that also gives it high marks.

The last time I played Sim anything was the original SimCity on a 386sx. The reviews Sims2 is getting has peaked my interest enough that I might check it out if/when it is ported to OS X - though whether or not it will be compatible with my current Mac remains to be seen.

7. benpatient thread starter macrumors 68000

it won't run very well on the machine you have if it does run at all, if it actually makes it to Mac.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I ended up getting the Sims 2 the other day also. It's overall pretty fun. I only played the Sims without expansion packs previously. Some things I like about the new version are the aspirations. I don't know if the previous version of the Sims had that or not. Every morning your Sim gets new aspirations. Completing those before the end of the day will get you points which you can use to buy certain items in the game (special "aspiration point" items). It feels like I have goals now instead of just trying to keep my Sims alive.

I've only played it briefly but here's what happened with my Sim.

I bought one of the cheaper houses ($11,000 or so) because I knew I'd need money to sustain my existence and make improvements. First thing I went to do was install a fridge, smoke alarms, burglar alarm, and bed. The essentials. Shortly after 3 Sims came over to welcome me. I started chatting with one of the female Sims while the other two argued about something. My Sim became friends with somebody (which was an aspiration).

I looked for a job in the paper but didn't find anything of interest and I had money to sit on so I waited until the next day to find a job. I ended up taking what I thought was a juvenile justice job... after a few days I got promoted to "bagman" and realized I was actually working for the Mob. Ah well... :)

Things with the female Sim went well and that was the easiest way to fulfill aspirations. Eventually I donned by formal attire and proposed. It cued a cut scene that had my Sims in it but looked very much like a cutscene. I was impressed. She accepted. Yay I guess. We ended up getting married in the bathroom... oh well.

I assumed that in order to have a child I would need to discuss it with the female. However after a few days I noticed she was "showing". They both aspired to have a child but financially it was an absurd thing to do. After a few days she had the child. I found it rather odd that my Sims would set the child down on the floor in order to prepare food. I really didn't have any room for the kid in the small place so after some tight rearrangement we had a baby crib.

Of course I still had to go to work so I hired a nanny. Eventually I couldn't pay the nanny (I also couldn't figure out how to tell the maid to stop coming) so she took... my toilet. I couldn't afford a new toilet at all.

Bickering ensued after that. I realized the female Sim had an aspiration of having 10 (yes ten!) children... moods soured after that and I kicked her out of the house.

Then I played around with some of the graphics options. I turned anti-aliasing way up and pretty much froze my machine. After a reboot I realized everything I had done had been undone (not saved). It's probably for the best anyway. It was my first attempt and so I'll retry again this weekend. I have vowed not to get married until I have a good amount of funding and a larger house. I might adopt a child and pass the money on down for a few generations to get a substantial amount of money. If I do get married... separate beds! Until I figure out how to control the population... ;) If I would've stayed with the first gal we would've ended up with 10 children!

Okay so that's sorta long and I feel really pathetic typing all that out. It's certainly amusing. Graphics are much improved from the Sims. You can have multiple neighborhoods (which you couldn't in the original although I think an expansion provided this).

I have a P4 2.4 with 512 MB of RAM, Win XP, Raedon 9600 SE with 128 MB of RAM. Sadly enough the game stutters here and there when there are too many people in the house area... which seems odd to me. There might just be something wrong with my machine though... I'm going to turn Hyper threading off this weekend and see if that helps. It's still playable it's just that the Sim will sometimes "teleport" to a new location in the house (he moved but not on the screen).

That's it I guess.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

My friend was playing The Sims 2 on his gaming rig PC. I think he has a 3.0 GHz P4 and a 5900 Ultra, both OC'd.

Anyways, don't about performance, but he was disappointed about not getting that many objects in the game. Obviously, there's rooms for some expansion packs, I'd suspect. He is currently working on a 5-story house, but says it plays more of the same of the original Sims.

His report contradicts every review I've read so far! Uh-oh. I still plan on playing it myself or wait for a Mac version.

I just wanted to add that it takes 30 days for a Sim to reach "old age," according to my friend. Nobody has given me a timeline of events for The Sims 2, so just in case some else wanted to know, here it is.

10. darrion macrumors newbie

I, too, have purchased the sims 2. I was a bit suprised by the system requirements and can't help but wonder if those requirements may prove to be a problem.

The game is excellent. I thought that Maxis were trying to do too much and would not be able to pull it off, but thus far I am very impressed with what they have done. To me, I find that their attention to detail is quite astonishing. Little things that you wouldn't think about, but then when you see it implemented in game it adds a little extra (such as a sim drinking the milk from a ceral bowl after eating the ceral).

If you are a gamer and have a PC that can handle the game, I would recommend it, though I would also wait until you have a long weekend or something so that normal activities won't be interupted too badly.

I do hope a mac version is released, I don't see why there couldn't be, but I also do not know what would be involved in making the port.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Of note, the instruction manual has the cheat code to turn off aging (which I can't remember what it is right now). It's cheating... but you can stop the aging... :)

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The Mac version's been confirmed :)

I'm too lazy to find a link at the moment.

13. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

14. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I want this game really badly... but my PC can hardly handle the sims, up to the Vacation pack. Hopefully when it's out on mac, it'll run on my powerbook.

15. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Sims 2: Unleash your femininity all over again.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

17. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Well that was nice and vague. He doesn't even say if a developer has taken on the task of doing the port, or if work has begun on the port process. So at least we know that someday there will be The Sims 2 for Mac.

18. applekid macrumors 68020

Don't count that as an official announcement though.

19. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

What PC are you running it on? Graphics/CPU/RAM? I'm wondering what it takes to run it decently. I have a friend who has it and it runs so slowly that it's literally unplayable. I'm looking at building a new PC, and I want to make sure it will run it. Thanks for any help!

20. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

system specs

Has there been any system requirements for sims 2 (mac) released yet? if so what are they? i have sims 2 for PC and it runs like glass of full graphics but will it run well on my mac?

21. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Anyone have any idea when the Sims2 will be released for mc? I have never gamed before but this game seems interesting. Are there any Sim games at all available for Mac?

22. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

They have The Sims 1 and all of the expansion packs already for the mac. I don't know if downloadable content works between PCs and Macs though, because there is a lot of online user content (but I'm pretty sure it will). Its a really addictive game. Its a very easy and intuitive interface if you've never gamed before either. So if you can get it and maybe a few expansion packs (unleashed is a good one) go and get it!

And just about any computer can run it, too (well not any computer, but a computer made within the last few years ought to play it pretty good). The graphics aren't that bad, but it is a fixed camera angle, unlike the Sims 2.

23. iZzle macrumors member

games are th only reason a pc is better in my opinion. but does anyone knwo if this will wokr wiht virt. pc?

24. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Yeah, system specs, please? I don't expect my iMac 700 to be able to run it, but I'm in the mood for getting a 12" iBook soon.. any hope for me?? :confused:

25. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Windows-specs:

Depending on the mac-port we can expect it to run on at least any 1ghz Mac, but hopefully on slower machines aswell..