The Sims Crack

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac77bear, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mac77bear macrumors newbie

Can someone please tell me where I can get the crack for The Sims and The Sims Living Large so I can play the game without the cd. I know I could copy the cd's to my hd but I don't want to take up all the space. I just bought the combo pack of the two so I could play while travelling but I don't want to have to bring the cds everywhere i go.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't think you're going to get a warm reception here, with requests like that...

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

no need for a crack. if you really have the CDs, just make a disk image and launch from there.

by the way, what you are saying makes no sense. you don't want to carry your CDs, but you don't want the game taking up space in your HD. how are you going to play the game without the CDs or the games on the HD? :confused:

you have a PB. two CD images will take up at most 1.5 GB. i think you can afford that space.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You'd only have to make the image of one disc yes? The game couldn't require that you have more than one disc in because most computers only have one optical drive. That's only 500-700 MB then. With the vastness of today's HDs that's a very small trade off for the convenience of not having to carry the CD or burn the battery on the optical drive. I have disc images of all my game CDs. I store them on an external drive, and if I want one on the go, I just copy it over while I'm putting on my shoes or something.

5. sgarringer macrumors regular

honestly, I crack all my PC games. why? Sure, I have a 160GB drive, but why the hell should I hassle with making images of disks and the like, just so I can play a damn game? Copy protection is worthless anyway, it only inconviences the people who pay for the game.

As for mac cracks, don't think there are any out there. Mac users, expecially those on this board, are very strict about not giving out addresses to things like that, even though cracks are prefectly legal.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

cracks are not legal. :rolleyes:

ok, i must be missing something. how do cracks enable you to play without the CD or the game being present on your HD? :confused:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think all that is ment in this thread by "crack" is a "no cd crack", which is different to a crack that patches a demo to full version for example. All that is wanted here is a "cracked" (perhaps the wrong word to have used) version of the .app or whatever that doesn't require the CD to be in the drive for it to launch.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

right... but i thought we already agreed that we can just make disk images on the computer and launch from there - no CD required, no?

the way some people are posting here, it seems like a "cracked" version won't require the CD or the space on the HD... that's impossible, isn't it?

OT: edesign - man, you 'tar is throwing me off. :p is it just me or keira looks a bit naughty there? :D

9. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

jxyama: it's not impossible. they have no cd patches for just about every game out there. To the original poster I feel you pain, I personally hate having to lug around cd's or making a disk image. send me a pm with your email. i'm pretty sure I have the patch in my no cd collection :D. I might also have a document on how to make no cd patches for your mac games. try to get back to me soon because I'm leaving to go on vacation in the morning.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

No CD cracks are not legal. Your EULA clearly states you cannot modify the Sofware. Most cracks or patches are clearly modifying your Software. Those application-replacement cracks are easier to prove because the software that is modified was not originally owned by you and the distributor is still distributing copyright material.

Send this thread to the Wasteland where it belongs.

I cannot really sympathize with anyone that has to lug around CDs. Get rid of the pirates, then we'd be fine. No pirate, no problem. You definitely have other viable legal options such as making a disk image. Someone can post the instructions, but I'm sure we've had the procedure in here before.

The legal options may be hassles, but solve the piracy problem, and we won't have to deal with such annoying measures.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ok, so the image is not on your HD and CD is not in the optical drive. where is the game coming from?

or will the cracked version be smaller than the full CD image? how much smaller? is it such a big saving in the HD space?

12. Quobobo macrumors member

The requirement to have the cd in the drive is usually just a brain-dead attempt to combat piracy, few games actually use the data from it now.

13. applekid macrumors 68020

A crack will either be a patch or application that bypasses the CD-check process in the game. Think that you're only adding a few kilobytes if anything at all when you use a crack.

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ok, so i must have gotten the disc image concept wrong. i thought you could create a disc image and launch the game from it as if playing directly from the original cd. (meaning no need to have the game installed on the HD other than the disc image.)

so i stand corrected on my ignorance. [bows]

in any case, it's still like 700 MB... i don't think that's such a big deal, but everyone's milage varies, i guess.

15. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I just image every game that I own. Heck, I've even image'd MS Office 2004 so that I don't have to travel 30 miles back home to get the original should something happen to my installation(My dad and I share a multi-license copy). WC3 I frequently use the image of, fishing around for cds is a hassle compared to just double-clicking an image to mount. Having bought my games legally I appreciate no-cd cracks(However, I'm too lazy to find them so I just image them). Honestly, I don't mind this breaking of the EULA. There is the spirit of the law, and the word of the law. I believe that in this case the spirit of the law is satisfied.

On a related note, if anyone knows how to make an image of UT2004 that works (or a no-cd crack), please let me know. I've battled it a few times already and to no avail.

16. angelneo macrumors 68000

A quick question, let just say I make an image of a game which I had to my powerbook/laptop before I go travelling. While I am away from my home computer, I decided to play a few rounds of the game and at the same time my little nephew/brother decide to pop in the CD to my home computer to play as well. Does that infringe the copyright rule?

Anyway, just out of curiosity

17. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

On a similar topic, I tried to make a disk image of my Sims House Party CD and when I go through the motions of starting the game, I get the "Please Insert CD" message. I am sure I did it right as I did the same thing to my Civ III game and it works with the disk image. Any suggestions?

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Try making an image with Toast. Though to mount the image you have to have Toast launched. You could also try VPC and Alcohol 120%.

Halo also has an impossible to "run from hdd" approach. Dunno how to get by it so i don't ;P

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, i'm here to disprove that. ;)

you just need to make friends with someone like Scotch. [​IMG]

not impossible. ;) i can run it from the CD image. but next step is the no-CD. i haven't tried it yet, but i'll let you know if (more likely 'when') i can get this to work.

leftbanke7, games are different, some have different copy protection. so the same method won't work with every game.

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Cracked games are completely ilegal. They are defended by the copyright law and you must pay money. How could you think it legal? Takes a small brain to think that. Plus you don't save too much memory. If you pirated a game it's still going to take up memory just like everything else. Plus there are not many cracked mac games out there. Do a search on a file-sharing network (the most common place to find cracked games) like limewire. Do a search on a game. Most of them require a windows based operating system to run.

21. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

So how about we read posts before flaming. I'm sorry if I sound annoyed but the fact of the matter is, I pay for my games, and it's a hassle for me to not be able to AT LEAST play using the image of the game (in the case of UT2004). I hardly enjoy digging around for a cd whenever I want to play a game. However, if the system prevents me from having to pay $x more for games (because of NO ONE buying them) then so be it, but I'd rather them develop a new system to curb piracy without creating hassles for their loyal consumers.

22. applekid macrumors 68020

Technically yes, if the EULA says it's licensed to one user, which it most likely does. However, this is something I wouldn't lose sleep over or worry about. I doubt any company will come to knock your door down and prosecute you for what you did, so don't worry about it. If there's any shades of gray to breaking EULA's, yours would be an example. Besides, breaking an EULA agreement only gives the company the rights to sue you if it feels a need to. So no worries :)

Oh, for those of us still following the crack debate.... I wanted to add a crack can be proven illegal in another way. For the non-patch times, where the main game application is distributed, there's no dispute that that's illegal. It's the same thing as distributing a disc image or application by illegal means. This time, you may only be distributing the main application, but that has copyright holders and protected under the EULA. Don't believe me? Do Get Info on any app, it'll have copyright info and the EULA says it is not legal for the user to distribute any single part(s) of the Software.

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Are no-cd cracks legal? Anyone that tells you yes has no idea what they are talking about. Anyone that tells you no didn't do all their research.

Changing any of the souse code in a program is usually against the license agreement. The problem is much of these software agreements are unenforceable. The old example is: If I buy software and there is a bug in it, can I fix the bug? Yes, because you expected the software to work. If the software publisher doesn’t hold up their end of the agreement to sell you serviceable software, then you do not have to follow parts of the agreement. You cannot however legally fix the same bug in a friend’s computer or give them a patch to do so (unless that patch came from the software publisher and you just downloaded for them).

Now lets relate this to game. Because the box generally doesn’t say you need to use the CD to play the game after installation, some experts believe that you can change the code because you didn’t believe that was how the program was supposed to work. This is just a theory and because software companies haven’t yet gone after a person who cracked a CD, it hasn’t been challenged in court. Until it is, we won’t know if a no-cd crack is legal.

Saying that, downloading a no-cd crack from the Internet or getting it from a friend, is illegal beyond question. The crack must be your own code because the software is owned by you. This falls under the fair-use exception.

Obviously there is much more to this but I personally don’t have more detailed info.

24. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

EULA is enforceable in two states in the US, VA and MD. this doesn't mean it's not enforceable in other states - it could be that it's simply undetermined. in such a case, what may be not enforceable (thus not illegal) may still not be legal. it's not "right" or "wrong" - there's an area between "legal" and "illegal." to declare that cracks are "legal" just because EULA enforcement isn't determined is still incorrect.

in any case, isn't circumvention of copy protection mechanism (such as no-CD cracks) against DMCA also, not just EULA?

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. Yea your right, enforceable is probably the wrong word. Many of the terms are undetermined whether they can be impose on the user or not. Thats a better way to put it, sorry.

2. I'm not saying cracks are legal or not. I'm saying that some experts say that editing code of a program is legal as long as you don't changed the basic operation of the program. This would mean that no-cd cracks are legal. But, until it is challenged by either party we won't know.

3. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act does make circumventing copyright protection illegal. But take this example: DeCSS was determined to be illegal by a New York court but legal by a California court. This is really a gray area.