The Sims Hot Date Running Slowly

Discussion in 'Games' started by Norouzi, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Ok, maybe someone here can help me out, or at least let me know that I'm not alone here. I'm running The Sims with several expansion packs ( LL, HP, and HD) Hot Date being the latest one I've installed. I'm running a PM G4 450 AGP, 640 RAM, and the game is quite jerky, freezing for about 5 to 10 seconds about every minuet or so. The scrolling in the game is quite slow as well. Going Downtown is very slow and at some places is almost unplayable. Trying to speed up the time flow is useless, when either fast or superfast is used the game actually slows down more. Recently I installed a Radeon 9000 128MB edition, not just for the Sims, but I was hoping it would speed things up there as well. After installing it I ran the Sims and found that although gameplay had improved slightly, it was not really enough to make a difference. Also have tried tweeking the OpenGL settings for Hot Date in the ATI Utilities with no noticeable difference. I have gotten a very large boost in preformance to WCIII since installing the new video card but can not say the same for The Sims.

I should point out that my girlfriend has installed a ton of third party objects, skins, ect. but I did a clean install of the game and all expansion packs and still had slow and jerky preformance. So I'm hoping that either someone can clue me in to anything I can try, or that others are expierencing the same issues so I don't feel as fustrated. Thanks in Advance.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Interesting. My iMac G4 800 MHz with its GeForce4MX and 768 MB of RAM gets choppy after I install all of the expansions after Vacation, I think. I have yet to try a reinstall partially because I don't play it anymore and because I don't have time. I really suspect it has something to do with RAM and the CPU. It's not very graphics intensive at all. Cutting back on the amount of objects, skins, etc. should help, but since you already did a clean install, I don't know how to help you.

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

did your clean install consist of the following method:

1. wipe all Sims data from machine.
    2. install original sims
    3. test speed
    4. install hot date
    5. test speed
    6. install other expansions
    7. test speed
    8. etc.

If not, then you should try it that way.

If there is a problem with hot date and your machine (don't have Mac version of Sims, no experience with it), then that will show you where the problem is.

I had basic Sims on my PC and then got Hot Date and everything was fine. Then I added Unleashed a few months later, and all hell broke loose. I found that for some reason I could have one or the other installed (HD or Unleashed), but not both. Something just broke.

Make sure you install the expansion packs in chronological order as they were released, or you will definitely run into problems.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

There is some kind of inefficency in hotdate. It runs slow in the city even on my Powerbook. The game run almost as good on my G4/400 as is does on the Powerbook(1.33GHz)

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

In a semi related question I'm looking to get my wife an iMac G5. Recently she has taken a liking to Sims 2 (I have it on a PC for gaming). Would the iMac G5 20" be able to handle Sims 2 (if it is released for Mac) with only a 64meg Geforce 5200 in it? I realize this is all conjecture.

I ask this because on my 2.5GHz P3 box with a GeForce 5700 ultra (128meg mem) it slows down sometimes when zoomed out (max detail). Typically my wife doesn't do much 3d gaming so I zeroed in on the iMac.

Thanks for any tips,
    -jim

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

it will run, but not at the monitor's native resolution.

if you don't know what I mean, then you might want to reconsider...at least if Sims 2 is something you're worried about.

7. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Yea I wondered about that too. I know things like WoW tax my Dual 2.5 G5 when running 1920x1200 (ATI 9600xt 128meg).

What rez do you think will be the best for Sims 2 on an 20" iMac? (I'm a recent switcher and am not familar with all the OSX resolutions...in PC terms I'd guess that 800x600 or so would be it?)

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

the problem is that it will look fairly like crap at 800x600, which I will guess without having anything but the PC version to go on is exactly what you'd want to play it at.

because the imac is a LCD, it will "fake" the resolution and if you've never seen that, it isn't what I would call pretty.

especially not on a big LCD.

9. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I could be wrong here (its been a while since i've played the Sims), but I don't believe its a 3d accelerated game. Meaning that the game is 100% CPU dependent. And since you're running on a 450mhz processor, the game will be VERY slow. Changing your video card won't do anything, since you are so limited by your slow processor. Upgrading the processor, is the only thing you can really do to improve performance.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

There's some rendering. But, most of the objects are four sided textures and an alpha layer on each. Then you've got your Sims that are polygons. It's not very GPU intensive though.

11. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yep, I was right. I checked the system requirements on my friends Sims box, and it does not use 3d acceleration. That means the game is 100% CPU dependant, its no surprise that the game runs poorly on your slow CPU. Hell, The Sims (without any expansion) could occasionally run poorly on my 1.6ghz windows PC.

12. Norouzi thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the help. The fact that it's not a GPU intensive game is a little suprising, but I guess a CPU upgrade is the next thing to get (if any). At least my Warcraft III and Jedi Knight II are playable now. :D Thanks again.