The Sims

Discussion in 'Games' started by pimentoLoaf, Mar 23, 2004.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

For those who enjoy spending endless hours playing house.

2. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Buy and install in this order:

• Sims
    • Livin' Large
    • House Party
    • Hot Date
    • Vacation
    • Unleashed
    • Superstar
    • Makin' Magic

Each program enhances content from a previous module, so installing them out-of-order would make the main program work improperly.

3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Is Makin' Magic out for Mac yet?

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

My wife wants the Sims for her birthday Monday. Do the first two in the combo pack play ok in Jaguar?

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The Sims, Livin' Large, and House Party are all carbonized. However, purchase from a reputable dealer--that will confirm which "stock" version your getting... because when I purchased House Party (about 3 months) ago I received an "old stock" version. The "old stock" version does not have a Carbon installer, and that can not be downloaded from Aspyr's website. Aspyr requires you to send the "old stock" cd back, along with a check for $5.00 (shipping & handling) and they will send you a "new stock" cd with the carbon installer. I purchased my House Party from Macmall.

Josh

6. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Do they really do this? I have the old installer and would really like the new one. Where do I find out the address to send it to?

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah they do. Call Aspyr technical support they will give you the address, the information was also once on their website (if you can find it).

8. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Certainly. Got the dot-Mac version in October 2003 and I s'pose the Livin' Large pak will work no problem, as it came out long before Panther.

BTW: Aspyr no longer carries just the LL pak, so you will have to get it via the Apple Store.

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Cool thanks for the info!

10. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Just went to a CompUSA on earlier today (Thursday) and found that Hot Date and Vacation are selling for $20. Bought HD and Makin' Magic, and ordered the Livin' Large from Apple.

If you don't install these things in order, you have to save the "User Data" folder to the desktop, reinstall everything in the proper order, then drag the old UD folder to the new install.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have found the Sims to have some serious performance issues on my iBook G4 1ghz. Whenever in town or on vacation I get between 4 and 6 frames per second, often slowing to 2-3. I'm really disappointed in this, because for quite a while I quite enjoyed the Sims, but it is hard to enjoy now, because it runs so slowly that the simulation slows down, resulting in me having to have it on maximum simulation speed to have it run right downtown or on vacation. I'll see how it runs in a few weeks...that happened with UT2K3, after installing it I ran it right away — 2-8 frames max. I installed the latest patch for the game, no improvement. I left the game sitting on my hard drive for about a month, and when I came back to it, possibly after a couple of OS updates - I can't remember, it ran fine with the graphics nearly maxed out. I'm hoping that UT2K4 will do the same...the first release of the demo gave me a frame about every 4-5 seconds...

12. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Before my pb17, I was using a 2.4ghz pentium-4, and Superstar occasionally had jerky movement. After adding 512mb RAM, it perked up rather nicely.

Everthing runs better with more RAM.

13. Bedawyn macrumors regular

I have up through Hot Date, and I'd like to get Unleashed and Making Magic, but I suspect it will have to wait until I can upgrade my computer. I'm still on a G3 with no extra RAM for now, and I've read a lot of complaints about it running too slow.

Vacation and Superstar, though... are the objects included in those also included in the later modules? I want the objects and the household staff, but otherwise I'm not really interested in the going-on-vacation or playing-superstar aspects of the games. Does anyone know if the slow-down still happen if you have the games installed, but never actually _go_ on Vacation or to Studio Town?

I spent most of yesterday playing (bad Bedawyn, wasted weekend) and one of my families has had their trash can mysteriously disappear. I know I've seen the way to get it back on the net somewhere -- Now I just have to decide whether the hassle of hunting for the info and the time for the Sims to go out to the street is actually worth the mess on the floor and the saved time of _not_ going out to the street. (You can always put the mess back in the bin... it becomes bottomless.)

14. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Some of the stuff that is in Unleashed and Superstar is in Magic, and all three stuff two disks worth of code onto your drive.

15. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Thanks! Could you give me some details about what parts of Superstar are and are not included in Making Magic? Unleashed I'll end up getting eventually anyway.

16. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I got my wife's disks in, and the Sims and Living Large were carbonized, but House Party was not. (By the way, Sims and Living large work great, she has been Rebuilding her families ever since she got them.)

I didn't even try to install House Party once I saw that it wasn't Carbonized. I e-mailed Aspyr and this is what they e-mailed me back...

> If you purchased the game in the last 90 days, we can exchange the
    > game disc for an OS X version at no cost. If not, then the cost is $5.
    > When sending the disc back, please include a note wishing to exchange
    > for the OS X version of the disc, as well as a receipt showing proof
    > of purchase within 90 days, or enclose a check or money order made
    > payable to:
    >
    > Aspyr Media, Inc.
    > Attn: Returns
    > PO* Box 5861
    > Austin, TX 78763

So I am sending it off. I figure that is a pretty fair deal. Thanks for the advice guys. My wife is much happier with her Mac now that she has the Sims again!

17. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Install, then download a patch which Carbonizes it.

18. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The House Party installer is not compatible with Classic. You will have to boot into OS 9 in order to install HP, then you can download the patch to upgrade to the Carbon version.

My powerbook will not boot into OS 9, so therefore I had to send my disc back to Aspyr.

20. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have the same problem with my iMac. :)