The Sims

Discussion in 'Games' started by runxc, Jul 8, 2004.

1. runxc macrumors newbie

Hello im thinking about switching. One of the things i was wondering is if you can play The Sims computer games on the mac? Thanks

2. applekid macrumors 68020

There is a Mac version of The Sims available. Also, all of the expansions are available. Check Aspyr.com to see it all.

3. runxc thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Is there any word on if The Sims 2 will ship for OSX. And if so what are the requirements?

5. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

there will be probably an OS X version, but then look again, it took them around 1.5 years to get THE SIMS on the Mac, now its the Sims 2...im looking towards 2 years for the mac version, and another year for the expansion packs...

6. applekid macrumors 68020

Not currently, so the requirements are unknown for now. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Mac version. There is one about.com article where the author claims there will be The Sims 2 on the Mac, but don't believe her. There has been no official announcement.

The only resistance I see is if people on both the Mac and PC are fed up with The Sims. I know on the Mac-side, hardcore gamers are complaining about The Sims, but I think we'll still see The Sims 2. :)

Replying to Ninja_Turtle, that was the greatest load of crap I have ever heard. First, The Sims on the PC was released in January 31st, 2000 (according to GameFAQs.com). The Mac version followed in late 2000 (IMG has a review dated October 9th, 2000). Westlake did say this was a longer port because of the literal million lines of code they went through, though. But they kept under a year. Each Expansion followed about 3-6 months after the PC counter-part was released. Now, maybe in Canada it took longer, but in the States, it didn't take that long at all. And I did hear it takes a while for a port to reach international customers for quite a while.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Did I hear somewhere that it is easier to port a game to the G5 than any of the other chips used before? Maybe not G5 the processor but at least the G5 line.

8. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

are you sure? i remember i saw it one year after it was released for the PC...

9. applekid macrumors 68020

It definitely wasn't a year. Check the release dates of both games. It'll explain everything. But, like I said, it could be possible because of international release vs. domestic. I know Aspyr had some shipping problems early on and I think, even now.

The only reason I can see the G5-line being easier to port for is because of its potential power. It's just plain old powerful. But, in reality, there really isn't much of an advantage from a porting standpoint. Of course a G5 is a better gaming Mac than the other ones.