the smart car

Discussion in 'Community' started by thevessels, Oct 17, 2004.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004

im sure some people absolutley hate this car - but i think its great

i thought if there's gonna be a group of open minded / no-clutter thinking people it would be the macrumors crowd ..

ive yet to see one on the road - but lemme here what you think
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    They should be on sale in Canada and Mexico right now.

The US isn't going to get them until the new -- slightly larger -- platform comes out.

Until then we'll be stuck with the new Smart SUV when it arrives. :rolleyes:
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I remember seeing those in the UK when I was over there a few years ago. Always had a desire to tip them over whenever I saw them. ;)

4. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    hmm they are pretty common over here at least in the cities... (at least the original one...haven't seen many roadsters or four-fours)..not bad with their high milage and sturdy frame...
  5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    There's quite a lot of 'em over here, and personally, I hate 'em :eek:.
  6. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    there are loads of them over here and i think they are great. they are pretty quick low down to say they only have an 800cc engine (the joys of turbos or is it superchargers?). anyhoow, they are great, i know a few people who have them and they are nice inside.

they also do the roadster which is also nice (the brabus version where they have taken two of their engines and welded them together to make a v6 is veeeeeeeerrrrrryyyy nice - shame there are only a few of them around, can you imadgine a v6 in a car that weighs nothing? = quick and loads of fun).

i havent seen any of the forfours yet but if they are like the other two it should be good!
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I don't really get the reason for making Smart cars much larger than the original. Yes, I've seen plenty of those little skinny cars out and about while living in London, but now that they're making all those larger smart cars, it kinda defeats the purpose. It was supposed to be an urban road car.

I guess they're aiming more towards non-European markets now. One of the things said about the original Smart cars, or any cars that are similar in size, is that they would never be successful in North American, Australia, or China because there's enough space on the roads for normal cars. Road and parking spaces are more of a concern in you're in a place like London, but in Canada for example, we're not exactly short on space.
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    the fortwo isn't a bad little car, they have true slingshot acceleration around town... :D

the forfour and Smart Roadsters however... :eek: wouldn't go near them, a prime example of over designed, under researched toss... that completely goes against the innovative thinking behind the fortwo.

I wouldn't buy any Smart model though... if I was in the market for a small car, I'd go the A2 route, a proper mini for the 21st century! Issigonis would be proud!! ;)
  9. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    man today was one of thismagic moments when i was sitting in the bus...
    the bus stoped to take up passengers and on the other side of the street there was a (parallel) parking lot... first there was a small smart and directly behind it... a huge Chrysler/Dodge/Ford (i haven'T saw the brand) american style Pickup... that pickup was 3 times as long and nearly twice the height ..looked absolutly ridiculous compared to the other cars around it

i think mercedes has other interests in the smart brand as well..they try to have a 'hip' 'young' image/prestige with it compared to their other cars..they really try to seperate their product lines ...
  10. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I've never driven either the Roadster or the ForFour but I've had a FourTwo which was great fun for a few days but I wouldn't want to own one. They're no quicker through traffic in the way a motorcycle is and they've got very little space for shopping etc. They're great around town but on longer journeys they're a nightmare. They're great for parking but as most spaces I use are in car parks that's no advantage. I'm over six foot and didn't have any problems getting comfortable.

Two favoutrite stories;
    The back of the ForTwo is practically straight up & down. When reversing up to a wall I could wind down the window put my arm out and park within an inch by feel.
    It was the first car I'd driven with heated leather seats. Jumped in the second day I had the car a didn't known I'd turn the heated seat on. After about ½ a mile I had this warm feeling in my seat, I thought cr*p I've wet myself without realizing!
  11. salmon macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2004
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I've seen one on the road. I actually drive by an auto import lot on my way to work, and they had the whole Canadian shipment there at one point - they've been steadily disappearing since.

I think they're a fantastic idea, almost twice the mileage of my next favorite cars, the Toyota Echo Hatchback and the Mini Cooper. Trying to talk my wife that this should be our next vehicle, but she's not convinced yet.. :D

It seems to me that people waste a LOT of money on cars - the whole idea to me is to get from point A to point B as cheaply, reliably and environmentally friendly as possible.
  12. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    If I were able to afford to insure myself, I'd be driving a Smart in a snap. They're just what you need in the cobbled horse-tracks around Canterbury...

Sadly, food has to take precedence.
  13. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I like this one personally, just with a different color.

14. crazytom macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    Hmmm, 2006 until they hit the states. I've been waiting a long time for a car like this! My 1991 Geo Metro isn't going to last forever, and unlike most of my fellow Americans, I just want to get from point A to B safely and efficiently. When I bought my car, it cost $7,000. A beater with a heater (as the dealer put it). It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned and saved me A TON of money (it still gets around 43mpg). I just may be one of the first people in line to get a Smart Car!
  15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Yah it looks like a great way to play Russian Roulette with your life. At least with the fourtwo and some previous model that didn't have full car doors but some weird partial panel. (I remember running into the site about a year and a half ago. The only thing that I could think at the time was I would be a dead man if I got into even a 15mph side impact in that thing.) Both don’t look like they could survive a side impact with a bicycle.
    As for the rest. Not to bad. Style wise. B+

Attached Files:

16. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    how about the 'Starsky and Hutch' edition... :eek: :p :p
  17. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    no car that size scored as good as the smart
    (in the euro ncap it got a overall score of 22 points...the 2002 jeep cherokee got 24 points)

that's a special limited edition model (by brabus i think) i personally saw already one of's one of those fun cars