"The Smurfs Movie" logo...

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by IgnatiusTheKing, May 31, 2009.

1. macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68040

3. Moderator emeritus

My hunch is that it's probably a comp/teaser but I dunno. It's The Smurfs. It seems pretty well-targeted at the movie's intended audience of little kids. Bright, fun, slightly sparkly... unthreatening with a touch of tagging-style typography, suggesting that the movie is going to have some song and dance numbers. Relatively low-budget.

OK, so it's spack-filled with Photoshop fx, but my real criticism is that the letter-forms are hard-edged where I would have expected a bit more curvature, roundedness and bounce to them. Apparently the movie is going to be in 3D so maybe that's why they didn't use something flatter in appearance.

I generally like Pixar's logo work for their movie marketing. The one for Up is perfect; simple and evocative of the movie's subject, reproduces on virtually any media at almost any size, positive or reversed.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I agree, but even if this is a comp, it's still horrible. The final version will undoubtedly be better, but this is just amateurish. Surprisingly so.

5. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

6. macrumors 65816

Andrew K.

I think it's the shade they're using and the direction the rendering is in, plus that hat wouldn't sit on the "S" like that it looks unnatural, I agree with the other poster, Pixar knows when to make it simple or complex.

7. macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

Exactly the first thing I noticed...the hat is floating or hovering over the letter, when the intention (or so it woud seem) would be for it be hanging off of it.