The Snow here in Ohio and East Coast

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Feb 16, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

First let me apologize for the rambling nature of this post:

Wow... I've had a crazy past few days. So I went down to Dayton on Friday and interviewed for a positon after I graduate (OSU/Geomatic Engineering), needless to say they offered me a position and I accepted. However, on the drive down my truck overheated. I looked down and the temperature gage was pegged... not good. So Saturday morning I woke up and was checking fluids and I noticed my oil was low (just what I was affraid of) then I check my antifreeze... yep, oil in the antifreeze, GREAT. Its an old truck, a 92 Toyota pickup, 160,000miles and the clutch needs replaced... still, I had no interest in replacing a head gasket as well.

So, I bought it home to my parents place because they're out of town on vaction. Figured I'd park it in the heated garage for a week, drain fluids, work on it, and borrow my rents' Jeep until they get back.

So last night it starts snowing... and snowing. Hasn't stopped since and its a heavy snow (14", I measured). Fairfield County is under a level 3 snow warning (Legally not allowed to drive on the roads), I'm trapped in this house, 56k AOL line, with little else than frozen pizzas to eat. Point of the story... the good comes with the bad I guess. I've got my books for school, but can't actually get out to class. OSU has cancelled 1 day of classes because of snow in some 44 years.. little chance of us getting tomorrow off, though Columbus is under a Level 2 warning.

So now I sit back, drool over the 350Z that I want soooo badly to buy. I can't bare to drop $30k on a car though. I'll probably go with something alittle more modest, yet still nice. I'm trying to find a 98grand cherokee limited, black on black, low miles.. anyone?

This is not fun at all.. to make matters worse.. its so cold that the snow won't pack. I can't even make a snow man!

So anyone else trapped in? Anyone want to convince me to buy the 350Z? Anyone want to urge me not to by the ZJ? Anyone offer a better alternative?

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Where I live, there has been a few inches of snow, and lots of freezing rain/sleet that started last night. But, it stopped earlier today. I think that we only got 2-3 inches of snow. But there's a lot of ice. Several major highways in the area were closed last night, and police were saying to stay home.

As for the 350Z, those things are awesome. But $30k is a lot of money.

Congrats on getting your job!

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Bah, I'll be getting that snow soon. I live on Long Island so in about 10 minutes I'm expecting snow.

I'm really hoping the snow doesn't hit here hard because I have plane tickets to santa Domingo on Tuesday ... :rolleyes:

Anyway frozen pizza aint to bad, it could have been much worse off for you, try DRIVING through that, yeah your lucky to have a home to say in.

On your last thought the 350Z is kick@ss. The best sports car out there. It beats everything in its category. It is a very nice car. Go buy it. :D

Anyway, too bad your snowed in area.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

do you have classes monday anyways? i mean, it's presidents' day.... i know not everyone gets off. but i thought most people did.

me, i don't have classes on mondays anyways, but the lab is closed so i kinda have a day off of pressure/work... good luck!

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

no snow in California...but we did get some rain last week...:p
    I am going snowboarding tomorrow, there is only 12-24" of snow on the slopes. Oh well, I am going to eat a frozen pizza tonight and just pretend :D

congrats on the job, get yourself a nice car and live the big life ! Remember, you only live once...at a time, at least.

6. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

snowing here on long island, seems like it's coming down hard, which is good. maybe i'll make some money shoveling tomorrow. :)

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Down in McAllen- Sunny, windy, highs in the 60's-70's.

Just a beautiful day...

I seriously do feel for your pickup, though. I have a '91 Toyota pickup (4-cyl, 4x4) with 144k miles on it (in 2WD). It gets about 17mpg, the transmission (standard) gets funky when it gets below 50°, and it's in need of a paint job... Toyota's are really nice trucks, though. They last longer than any other major brand of truck that I know... Mine needs some work, and probably an engine rebuild soon, but it works fine as a daily driver...

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ha, I'm going to start shoving now and finish wed. :eek:

No really there is 3 inchs on the ground already, if I wait long I'm doomed. :(

9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Where I live, underneath the snow, there is a lot of ice, so it probably wouldn't be easy to shovel. So, instead of shoveling, I think that I will just stay inside and be on MacRumors.

10. 3777 macrumors 6502

Could you please rename this the Official Paul Kocin Great Presidents Day Storm alert mode thread:eek:

If you do this I will give it the Paul Kocin seal of approval:eek:

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Re: The Snow here in Ohio and East Coast

As far as the 350Z goes, fantastic car, but there's better out there, it all depends what you're after. If you want up-to-date looks, with a great sporty package, go for it. if you want more of a drivers car, try and source a Mitsubishi Lancer evolution VII or Subaru Impreza WRX STi (wait for the new model without the bugeye headlights). You could even go for a Mini Cooper S (supercharged) which holds it own against anything on the road, and yes I mean Ferraris etc, just make sure if you race on, it's not on a straightaway. 70mph in a straight line, 70mph round a corner, 70mph in yer driveway. Even a Honda S2000 is a beautiful and great car. Pushbutton start too :cool:

ok, i'm gonna stop before it turns into a car magazine editorial... ;)

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

12 inches on the ground in Alexandria, VA and 16 in DC with 5 to 10 inches more on the way tonight - what a storm!

Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow. :(

cr2sh - what's Geomatic Engineering?

D

13. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

16" on the back porch and a notice on www.osu.edu that classes for tomorrow are CANCELLED! I'm so happy! I haven't had a snow day in 4.5 years!

Duke - Geomatic Engineering deals with spatial data. I do convential surveying, GPS, Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing... a bit of everything. The company I'ved signed on with does a lot of photo control work, gps, monumentation... fun stuff.
    With this degree I'm able to become registered both as a Professional Land Surveyor and as a Civil Engineer.

I can afford a 350Z, but coming right out of college I have no money for a down payment and a 60month loan at like 5%.. that works out well above $500 a month... FOR FIVE YEARS!
    Also this is a travel intensive job, and I get a company truck. Do I really need to pay $500+ a month, plus insurance.. so that it can sit in the garage while I'm out of town for two months straight? I didn't think so either... :(
    If there was a used sports car I had interest in, I'm sure I'd go for it.. but I simply don't know of any. As it stands, the hunt for a nice used Grand Cherokee continues.

NO SCHOOL! :D :D :D

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hold off getting you 'Z' for a little while intill you can start gettin some $$ for the payments. Plus we didn't say GET IT NOW.
    Most of us just said it is a really nice car. Get it is a couple months or something. You will be happy with it. :D

15. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

This is, no doubt the best solution.. yet, my truck is in major hurting condition right now. I'm lucky that my parents are out of town and I can get around in their Jeep. When they get back and I get to talk to my Dad about matters we'll see how things look. He can fix my truck, so its possible I could hold off for a few months... we'll see though.

In the end, I come to this question.. Have I really become so upidy in life, that a grand cherokee limited is not good enough? I could buy two used for the price of new Z. Would the Z be worth it... "YES" We'll see. It's a decision I'm not ready to make yet, and my parents will play a role in the decision.

16. 3777 macrumors 6502

Your not getting the Paul Kocin endorsement until you rename this thread:eek:

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the storm started over iowa and nebraska, so we got the first of it. it was hell, let me tell you-- hail, huge hail, freezing rain, freezing rain mixed with hail chunks (god hates me)... snow, sleet, massive bad. ice under everything... they've barely begun digging us out. there were only 4-8? inches of snow here, but the ice really nailed us...

we went to Lewis Black here last night, he called it a "small natural disaster, i'm sorry". pretty good, he loves the weather anyway (if anyone has seen his standup)... we had snowthunder here a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately he missed it...

nice thing was, at my new job, no one cared enough to stay through friday-- most people didn't come in, and the rest of us left by early afternoon :)

enjoy the snow delays!

stock up on provisions and plan on spending some time reading :)

pnw

18. grimmace macrumors regular

snow...

Ok. Anyone ever tell you to be practical? Your sitting there in a snow filled area and thinking of buying a car that with only 2" of snow on the ground will toss and turn you all over the road?? :rolleyes: I live in Boston and we are waiting for your snow to arrive today. It's going to hit just as hard. Anyway, the Nissan Z is a fabulous car. I only suggest your purchase if it was a second car. Give me a break, you'll be here next year online and not getting to WORK because there is 3" of snow on the ground. I had a mustang conv. and I know all about it.

Buy a new 4x4 and be done with it. I will never shovel snow again. :D I look forward to driving my truck on the roads this evening just to see whats happening out there.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Snowing here in Boston now, it arrived between 9 - 10am as predicted. It's suppose to be a slow moving storm, due to end Tuesday morning.

Forecasters are predicting 12 - 18" of snow.

We have have had snow on the ground since Christmas! :)

20. grimmace macrumors regular

I'll be driving around in the city (Boston) tonight in my truck. It's looking pretty white in the sky. Maybe we will have a snow day here at work. WooHooo! I just love when that happens. Too bad we dont have a 17" PB to play with.

21. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Finally got back up to columbus this morning.. roads are much better up here. Its so rare that we get this much snow, but it is nice to have 4x4 to romp around in it.
    There's no way they're going to cancel classes again tomorrow... but let's keep our fingers crossed. :)