The Sopranos DVD's...

Discussion in 'Community' started by hob, Nov 10, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Sorry, couldn't think of anywhere else to put this, but I HAD to tell SOMEONE!!

I'm quite a big fan of the sopranos, but never quite got into the show - it was always on at the wrong times or whatever...

So I started collecting the "Digibox" dvd box sets of them. £45-£55 a pop, but well worth it.

Amazon just had a sale so i bought Season 3 (I had previously bought 1+2). It seems that Warner Bro's had got their sticky hands all over it - because it was totally different to Season 1+2 (which had nothing to do with WB whatsoever). The menus are totally different to 1+2 (which i thought were excellent) the box is terrible, the first disc is a double sided disc, which is totally unneccesary - all 4 episodes could fit on one disc... and worst of all, my favourate feature has been capped - On the other two box sets you could skip chapter 1, which would be the opening credits, so go straight into the show. Now chapter 2 starts about 5 minutes in, instead of at 1 minute in... grrrr!

It's good to talk!!

Hob

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah...it's obnoxious when you buy a TV series on DVD, and you have to watch the opening credits for *every episode*. I've got all of the "Family Guy" seasons on DVD, and they're like that too.

I tried getting into the Sopranos but just couldn't...I think it's the same kind of thing you said, never on at a convenient time. I do make it a habit to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm whenever a new one is on. That's my favorite show...I'd probably just cancel HBO if it weren't for that show!

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's funny you should mention this because...

I'm going into hospital next year for major surgery and when I come out from hospital, I'll be at home for about 8 weeks recuperating.

So... as daytime TV is completely crap, I thought I'd stock up on great TV DVDs especially of shows I have never seen or want to watch again.

The Sopranos is next on my list, I have never seen a single episode -- I buy a couple of box sets of different things every month and stash them, ready for that period of enforced hibernation.

(Bought so far: Twin Peaks, Simpsons, Cheers, Frasier, Six Feet Under, Sex in the City... Want to get Sopranos, The Prisoner, Soap, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, The X-files... that kind of thing as well as some movies too...)

4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Hey Blue Velvet, I watched that film last night!!
    I would HIGHLY recommend Sopranos - production values are excellent. Family Guy is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen - some of the stuff, I've never laughed so hard in my life. I remember falling off the sofa during one episode of the simpsons, but i do on almost every episode of family guy...

Giggedy-giggedy-giggedy

Hob

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Lately I haven't even been buying movie-movies on DVD, just TV shows released on DVD.

In the past few months I've purchased:

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seasons 1 and 2
    Kids In The Hall, Season 1
    Family Guy, Seasons 1-3
    Mr. Show, Seasons 1-4
    Arrested Development, Season 1 (if you haven't watched this show yet, go pick up the DVD set...it's hilarious)
    Simpsons, Season 4

And there's so much more I want!

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

box sets of TV shows are cool, but its hard to imagine really watching them all that often for me to justify the expense in most cases. I hate watchhing shows linearly like that. I like the randomness of syndication (so long as they don't show the same episodes over and over) or the unexpectedness of new broadcasts. I actually bought the first 3 seasons of the sopranos. Iused to be really into, and though I still like it, I'm kind of sorry I bought the sets. Money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Now, netflix is awesome for this sort of thing. Get something new every day almost, get your favorite TV shows, obscure movies you forgot about, old favorites. I love it.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Good selection so far. Soap is one of the all time greatest programs ever to hit TV!

8. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Let me just say that I've seen every single Soprano episode and there are some really great episodes. I didn't start watching it religously until season 3, at which point i became totally hooked on it. I watched the first two seasons on DVD. I believe season 3 was more funny than anything...Tony Soprano would routinely disappear to his basement and jam Pink Floyd and veg out. Great series...

9. aus_dave macrumors regular

Yep, The Sopranos is a great show (Sopranos web site for more info).

IMHO Season 3 was a bit all over the place, but seasons 4 and 5 were classic Sopranos. There were some surprise 'hits' that came out of the blue and the plotlines were good. Having Steve Buscemi guest star in the most recent series was a great idea - he's a scary looking individual :D.

Bring on Season Six :cool:.

10. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Season 5 was supposed to be the last. Not that I'm complaining... I could always go for another season. To be honest with you, season 5 was somewhat boring other than Adrianna getting whacked. Season 5 was definitely all over the place...some episodes were boring. And, what happened to Paulie? He was funny is season 2/3 and not around much in 5. The ending of season 5 could not let the series end like that!! It was a couple of weeks before I heard that there was going to be a season 6...then again, I never visited the Sopranos website. Like you said...bring on 6!

11. aus_dave macrumors regular

Hopefully you haven't ruined it for those who have never watched an episode and plan on watching the entire series :p.

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

oddly, sopranos and star trek are the most stolen box sets from my store.

sorry, i have nothing to add on content :)

13. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Goddamnit! Did I not say at the beginning of the thread I was on season 3?! :mad:

Ahhh well, something to look forward to...

Still, the funniest thing I remember from the sopranos is when Tony thinks ***** is wearing a wire so he sends Paulie to go find out. Paulie decided to take him to a spa so he can see him getting undressed (and see if he has a wire)... Paulie drives up to ***** and hoots his horn - it plays the Godfather theme...!

I nearly opened a stitch in my side!!

I've gotta sample that, it's comedy genius

Hob

edit: just found out I can't say *****. So just read Big ***** Bompencero where it says *****... (I think that's how you spell his surname...)

14. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I heard there won't be any more after Season Five, they went away for 18 months between four and five didn't they? Think David Chase is just getting bored with it - there's only so far you can go with a group of characters... though I wish someone would tell Matt Groening that...

Hob

15. andym172 macrumors 6502

Thanks for that! :rolleyes:

Due to the fact that I never watch them on tv (never home when they're on) I buy the box sets and watch a couple every night until I'm finished with that season.

I've not seen series 5 yet...

16. aus_dave macrumors regular

He may be getting bored with it but they are still making another series, quoting from the HBO web site:

"HBO and series creator David Chase have already reached an agreement for a sixth season, with that season's ten episodes to begin production in early 2005."

I noticed Steve Buscemi directed quite a bit of the last season and Michael Imperioli (Christopher) wrote a few episodes as well, so there may be something in the "boredom" thing.

17. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Hey :mad: what are you thinking? You could have inserted something like >SPOILER WARNING< !!!

Anyway, Sopranos is great indeed. I own the first two seasons, and I wannay buy all of them. Sad hearing the DVD box and menu quality of season 3 is not as good as 1 and 2. Because that was a-ok.

IMO, The Sopranos is probably the best TV thing created EVER.

Ah yes that's one of the funniest things I saw too. I want a horn like that! That would be hilarious.

I read someone talk about Curb your Enthusiasm, which is airing here in the netherlands right now. It's really funny, especially if you're a Seinfeld fan, the similarities between Larry and the George Constanza character are uncanny. Weren't the Seinfeld episodes released on DVD recently?

18. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Me too. I've been *loving* it recently on DVD.

19. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

oops! sorry.

edit: after reading the angry posts i take responsibility of being the "thread spoiler"...i'll go away.

20. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My wife and I didn't have satellite/cable until last year. We went out and rented all the previous seasons of the Sopranos and did a marathon - 12-14 hours of Sopranos - awesome!

I just wish HBO would release Oz and 6 ft. Under in their entirety a bit faster.

21. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

"The Test Dream"

I thought I'd resurrect this old thread - I don't think there is an "official" sopranos thread?

I've almost finished watching Season 5 - been renting from Amazon. I just saw "The Test Dream" - and as a long-term fan of the show, I've gotta say it was one of the best episodes ever. The previous dream-episode, just before a certain character "entered the witness protection program" was good, but this was so much better.

Slightly less surreal, although still with a surrealist twist. It seemed to contain every minor character that's popped up in the last couple of seasons. From Artie and Charmaine right to the more obscure like Uncle Juniors Lawyer (blink and you'll miss him!)

Well, if anyone wants to comment - as before, try and limit any spoilers please! I'm 2 episodes out from the season finale - forcing myself to watch only one a day!

Hob

22. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

You can rent from Amazon?

Anyway...I never really got into the show, but I think I'm going to put the Sopranos in my Blockbuster queue and start watching from the beginning. I'm running out of movies anyway.

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This is a so weird coincidence: I just ordered the DVDs with season 1 of Sopranos on my public library a couple of days ago, and the last loaner before me just delivered them yesterday. I missed the series when it started running on Norwegian television, and just decided I wanted to catch up... :)

24. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

well, you have excellent taste in tv! my little brother's watchin my old season 1 box set right now - i keep noticing how tony's thinner and has more hair! I'd say the 1st season is not the best, but it's not bad at all! Stick with it man, it's a good show :)

25. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

In this country you can...!
    [​IMG] :D