Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
My friend gave me her ipod because it wouldn't boot. I think I'm going to tell her its dead. Sounds like the HD is shot.

Here's a sound clip of the hard drive attempting to boot.

Dead iPod Noise

The one time the HD did boot for me, it wouldn't mount.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Daveway said:
My friend gave me her ipod because it wouldn't boot. I think I'm going to tell her its dead. Sounds like the HD is shot.

Here's a sound clip of the hard drive attempting to boot.

Dead iPod Noise

The one time the HD did boot for me, it wouldn't mount.

.wav?!?!?!?

The shame. :p

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Certainly sounds like a bad HDD. What gen/model is it? Might be worth replacing the HDD or parting out the rest of the unit.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Its a 20gb HP 4G.

BTW Gary, I used .wav so you could here every clickity clack and the fact that its the only uncompressed file format in QT.

Anyone know of any suppliers of these drives at relatively good prices? She's in college so she can't spend much to get this thing running again.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Not to be a jerk, but isn't AIFF the "Mac" equivalent of .WAV? I ask only out of genuine curiosity.

Daveway said:
Its a 20gb HP 4G.

BTW Gary, I used .wav so you could here every clickity clack and the fact that its the only uncompressed file format in QT.

Anyone know of any suppliers of these drives at relatively good prices? She's in college so she can't spend much to get this thing running again.

Layer34

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
London
hi, if its under warranty then get it sent back, but if its not under warranty open the ipod up and replace the drive connector cable (no more than £5 on ebay) - i know that drive sounds dead but from experience that i had tonight i suggest you try it.

Today I got a faulty 20gb 4G ipod that sounded similar to that, i thought it was dead, but i tried the drive in another ipod and it worked fine, so i replaced the drive connector cable in the ipod and put the drive back - now it works great :)

Good luck

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
My iPod made a similar noise. After about 1 hour of trying to fix it, it started giving me the dead iPod symbol and makes a croaking sound like as if the hard drive turned into a miniature frog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.